218358 Bullies, 7942 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
  1. --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

They Care for Children, But Fly Below Regulatory Radar - Martial Arts

They Care for Children, But Fly Below Regulatory Radar

GWINNETT COUNTY, GA -- The Song Moo Do Martial Arts College runs a day long summer camp in Gwinnett County for school age children.

And although the facility watches and feeds and entertains children all day, don't call it a day care center. Its operator, Alexander Song, says it's not licensed by the state for child care.

"We don't operate as a child care system here," he said in a roomful of children under his care. "We operate as a martial arts system here, and after school program."

Jaden Smith, son of Will Smith, stars in the the 2010 version of "The Karate Kid" with martial arts legend Jackie Chan.

Advocates for day care centers say that unlicensed karate camps and church camps and after school programs operate under a wide legal loophole that exempts them from many health and safety requirements.
    "And their children may not really be protected the way they want them to be," said Carolyn Salvador, director of the Georgia Child Care Association, an advocacy group for licensed day care centers.

Across the street from the Song Moo Do martial arts center, there's a day care center whose staff have to undergo criminal background checks, learn CPR, and get health and sanitary training. That's because it has a state license and is subject to regular state inspections.

"I don't think parents realize, when they put children in an after-school program, that some after-school programs don't have to meet these requirements," said Salvador.

Salvador says the rules are unfair to licensed day care centers, which frequently compete for business with unlicensed facilities. She says parents also expect the same state oversight for both types of facilities.

Song disagrees.

"A day care center emphasizes children," he said. When we pointed out that he was standing in a roomful of chilren in his care, he answered: "These are children but this is martial arts requirement."

The martial arts center, like hundreds of others, appears to operate within state regulations. It's those rules, Salvador says, that are flawed and broken.

Stacey Moore, a spokeswoman with the Georgia Department of Early Care and Learning, declined repeated requests for an interview.

From 11Alive.com

Picture unrelated.

How are kiddy krotty day care centres in your area regulated, if at all?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 10:14am

Style: Kyokushin, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They are not. However in dealing with kids in this country you have to do a sensitisation course run by the local council.

Its a pile of horseshit but thats the way the world is going.

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 10:17am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your super fast post!

So even martial arts instructors who deal with kids have to do that course? Sounds better than nothing!
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 11:01am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everyone who deals with kids has to do the course, From swimming/football coaches to Youth Club Organisers to Martial Artists.

It was a bit of a knee-jerk reaction to all the child-abuse cases we had over here.

It's not much of a course and a lot of it is basic common sense (ie; never be in the changing rooms alone with a kid, etc) and It doesn't cover any first aid or even basic child psychology but yeah, I suppose it is something.

And your welcome!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 11:36am

Style: Keyboard Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perhaps this thread is a good opportunity for some school owners to describe best practices.

Even if the regulatory environment is loose (probably even more different throughout Canada) some school owners must have dojo policies that go above and beyond requirements. In Canada there is now a modest income tax break for childrens' activities (camps, etc) which involve at least 50% physical exercise and it seems there are a lot of karate kiddie camps available to compete with day camps, private summer childcare, etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 12:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is a requirement in kyokushin Ireland that all black belt instructors have at least a basic first aid cert and the relevant equipment on hand as well.

I don't know about any other styles/countries would anyone else care to chime in?

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 12:39pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I passed by that club while at the USJO this past weekend, weird.

I would have to agree that if the same licensing agency would regulate some of these guys it would benefit the MA community as a whole. Also this is another reason for people to belong to a legitimate organization that requires coaches/instructor to have background checks CPR/first aid and some form of coaching instruction.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 11:11am

Style: Choi Kwang-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I operate a school that runs both summer camp and after school. We are not regulated by the state, but as a matter of common sense every one of our employees (and I'm no exception) has to be CPR certified and recieve a background check. We also maintain a 4-1 student/ instructor ratio, which is better than local state requirements!!!!

The thing is that most daycares are making a stink about this because they are losing serious business to after school gymnastics, dance, martial arts, whatever. Daycare centers sometimes give little to no structured activities, so the parents look for something more.

The second part is that I DON'T WANT to be regulated! I actually checked into having my school become certified by the DCF so that we could get some funding for lower income students. However, the regulations don't end at CPR and background checks, like I thought. I discovered that the rules are so draconian that it would never work for us. (Go figure when it comes to government regulation.) For example, 'corporal punishment' is strictly dis-allowed. Makes sense at first till you dig deeper and realize that that means Jonny can't be asked to do push-ups for being disrespectful. This is just one example, but in general I would never be able to run a quality program under state guidelines, not as a martial arts class. Sure, I could go McDojo and do it... but I don't wanna.

Again, my school ended up losing out on possible state funding that other daycare centers are recieving, so it's not like I am wholly benefitting by this 'loophole'. But the majority of our students switched from basic daycare programs over to us, because the parents wanted their kids doing more than just drawing pictures and watching movies after school. I know that has GOT to tick off some of the local daycare centers around me.

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 12:17pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People seem to get bent out of shape about stuff like this because it never pertains to them. I don't do that... I have this... I don't need that... I... I... I...

If the world was a perfect place then we wouldn't need the government to step in and enforce rules and regulations or police our activities. It is because of dumbasses who beat children with shinai, punch them in the face, or fondle them in the office is why we need to have some over site. Full on day care rules should not apply but if you are not part of an organization that requires an instructor to under go some form of training and has the most basic of requirements for CPR and background checks then yes you should be put under the umbrella of the state child services.

Again it is not because of the people who are doing it right it is because of the idiots who are doing it wrong that we will have to have some type of regulation. I would most whole hardheartedly support a form of regulation or state certification for MA instructors if it would help to prevent just one child from being molested or injured due to the neglect of an instructor.

I do not want to here the freedom riot act and I have the right to do what I please in my business because that is not the point. We are talking protection of children from the lowest form of society not trying to get in the business of MA instruction. Again a modified form of day care rules should apply not the whole thing and if your organization has a system in place then you would be sanctioned with no problems.
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 12:19pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is a karate program in Kingston that is recruiting assistant instructors. No talk of CPR or training or security checks.

http://www.kingstonkarate.com/lunch.html

Karate Kids Canada in partnership with your local Karate School is currently offering lunch-time classes in elementary schools in your area. We are looking for instructors, and if you have 3 or more lunch hours available per week, you could qualify! ADULT MARTIAL ARTS STUDENTS Teach children the basics of Martial Arts, while introducing students to character building life lessons. Energy, enthusiasm and excitement are a must. FITNESS ENTHUSIASTS You do not need any Martial Arts experience to be an assistant instructor! Manage the class and keep the students on track! Instructors earn up to $40 for a 40 minute class. If you have 3 or more lunch hours available per week and are interested please contact James or Mel at ***-***-**** or send your resume to .......

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast