Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 10:00am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He was an inch shorter with good timing.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 10:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you want to make sure you kick the leg hard if you're going to do it, otherwise you are off balance and the guy will step through and hit you.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 10:31am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Helps if you know this is a southpaw matchup, hook couter to an orthodox leg kick probably wouldn't work the same.

After sparring him for several weeks i found step up knees to work a lot better. I've only recently been using sweeps so i'll have to test that on the next one.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2010 6:58am

Style: Kyokushin, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zendokan View Post
    One of the things that I learned from Savate and most other Kickboxing styles don't have (or don't practise) is kicking and boxing when backing-away. winning.
    I like this.
    Particularly stepping back with the lead leg (hands high) away from his power hand while simultaneously throwing either a low or mid-level roundhouse off my lead leg...

Throw the mid level with any bit of sharpness and accuracy and you'll find yourself kicking his liver more times than not if he's fighting orthodox and his back his is his power hand.

Throw the low level and you should be giving a nice painful slap to his inside lead leg with your instep. A few of those with enough venom will definitely impair his movement going forward, I would think.

Pain is a great motivator to change; plant your foot in his liver a few times and that should put a halt to his gallop soon enough.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/18/2010 5:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jun Fan Gung Fu/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know the exact situation but if he keeps blasting in at you sidestep to the outside and cross over his line with a straight to his face. Something I do against someone who hardly uses their kicks is to keep the fighting measure just outside my kicking range and as soon as he moves to close the gap for his fists I stopkick just above his knee(in a friendly match)on the thigh, or sidekick to the stomache. The latter of the two usually gases a power puncher pretty quickly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 10:43am

Style: Judo, Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm all for talking about it. I generally expect people to hit me pretty hard so that I don't make the same mistakes again (or as frequently, anyway). Against others, I ease up a little on my cross, my hooks and uppers unless they're larger than me. I don't pull my jab on anyone. However, one of my more skilled sparring partners has a way to seemingly land hooks from nowhere, so awhile back I told him straight out "Buddy, I'm sorry, but could you tone those hooks down a tad, but still hard enough to send the message home? I'm not well enough equipped to deal with them as I am." This was simply so that I wouldn't be knocked out and could reach the end of my training session having still learned something/remembered it all.

Seriously, give it a try. If words fail, though, you have to figure out how to **** him up: definitely don't try and outbox him. I dunno about the kicking and punching whilst backing away idea. As an MT guy I'm sure you're a lot more devastating at clinch range than this guy, and if he's not comfortable with kicks, I don't suppose he'd be very used to being at the receiving end of your knees and elbows. Let's consider this from a boxing perspective. For one: he's larger and taller.

If this were simply boxing, there is next to no way you're going to beat this guy fighting at *his* range. By beat, I simply mean inflict enough damage and pain to get your point across about toning it down a notch. At first I thought this guy was merely trying to keep you out with superior range but you did mention moving forward throwing bombs... angles. Get in there, get some head movement/bobbing/weaving going, too (well, as much as you can get away with in Muay Thai). You need to get in. He may be bigger, but I'd wager he doesn't know his way around a clinch as well as you do, so that is *your* range and that's where you'll strike the critical blow that will be the wakeup call to end his madness.

Good luck.

Posted On:
    10/25/2010 11:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    El Guapo says if all else fails liver kick him till he quits

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/28/2010 10:43pm

Style: The grapply boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does he in-fight or out-fight?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 9:53am

Style: thai boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dont just leg kick follow it up. leg kick hook. inside leg kick cross or overhand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/08/2011 12:34pm

Style: eclectic kung fu some BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had this same problem with my stepson for a while. He's pretty strong, and when he sparred, he tended to hit as hard as he could. When I chided him about it, he'd protest "But I'm not hitting that hard!" but always with a little smirk--because the little **** knew he was just pounding away.

And so, one day, after the exact same exchange, I nailed him in the temple just about as hard as I could. After he fell on his butt and sat glassy eyed for a few seconds, I told him "But I didn't hit that hard!" He started calming down a bit after that.

Of course, that kind of thing only works if you are actually able to knock the guy silly.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast