Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/22/2011 10:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm good friends with paul, and trained there for over 3 years, and I can say that I definitely learned more than just basic stances on day one, and on occasion, when I would bring friends there to try it out, they would be introduced to information, synonymous to what I was learning.
    If nothing else I would say that he has an amazing personality, and even if you don't train there, I would at least introduce yourself.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/25/2011 12:59pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess I'll chime in since I practice traditional southern CMA.

FWIW, stance training is something so elemental to my style, it's like a pushup, so I do it all the time. Isometric exercises are important I think. Stance training is easy to do, in fact I can and do lift or at least carry weights while I train stances.

For my kwoon:

Did we do pushups from day 1? Yep.

Stance training from day 1? Yep.

Conditioning from day 1? Yep.

Did we wait a year before going right to applications/drills/etc? No.

Two years into it now (next month) and do we still do all these things? Yes.

A good kung fu instructor should move you according to your own abilities. If you are skilled/in shape, apply yourself, and are respectul, an IDEAL instructor should move you along accordingly, especially since you are paying for it.

Putting a specific time limit on advancing to "advanced" things like application seems kind of old fashioned, but not surprising given what Perma and the others said.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 5/25/2011 1:07pm at .
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12