Page 1 of 2 12 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Schools in Burnaby\Vancouver BC, Canada

I need a school, preferably in Burnaby. I've searched a lot but I only found 1 school in burnaby, which I have no intention of going. I also can't go to Gracie Berrra. But besides that can someone tell me some good schools with a friendly environment?

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What school did you find and what don't you like about it?

What kind of style do you want to study, what are you looking tog et out of it?

burnaby martial arts - Google Search

Style
    BJJ, judo, rapier
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One wonders what’s wrong with the school you found (and which one it is); and I wonder what’s wrong with Gracie Barra (however you choose to spell it). Lots of schools around (including what I gather is a very excellent judo dojo in Burnaby), but what’s your goal and what’s your beef?
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Style
    Keyboard Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From one drop-in visit, I can personally attest that West Coast Jiu Jitsu has a friendly environment. It is a smaller school with a very qualified instructor.

I understand from another thread you started that you planned to visit Gracie Barra. Did you go?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got nothing against GB but it's just that someone in my family already trains there who I don't want to be associated with so I'll just find myself another gym. (it's a really long story, family issues and stuff) Revolution martial arts is the one closest to me but I've got beef with one of the instructors which i don't want to get too into detail.
    I also forgot to mention I wanted to learn bjj.

Style
    BJJ, judo, rapier
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fair enough.

There’s West Coast BJJ, as MrJ mentioned; there’s also Marcus Soares, whose school I know virtually nothing about, but it’s something to check out.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I've heard good things about west coast bjj but it'd be like 45 minutes with skytrain and I dont have a car so that might be a problem

Style
    Keyboard Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Petter, just to clarify West Coast JJ is Can-Ryu style of jiu jitsu; not BJJ.

We mentioned the Marcus Soares affiliated BJJ schools already in the other thread "Does this place look legit." Think there was two around Vancouver. If BJJ is what you're looking for, how many feasible options are there near you?

"I want BJJ" probably would really narrow it down, unless there are other things you are open to that some local bullies could suggest.

Style
    Keyboard Warrior
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bcmmaperson View Post
    Yeah I've heard good things about west coast bjj but it'd be like 45 minutes with skytrain and I dont have a car so that might be a problem
    Or you could just state what neighbourhood you are in and how far you're willing to travel to train, and narrow it down from there ...

What about Dynamic MMA 5842 Cambie Street?
    Last edited by MrJ; 7/29/2010 2:23pm at .

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJ View Post
    Or you could just state what neighbourhood you are in and how far you're willing to travel to train, and narrow it down from there ...

What about Dynamic MMA 5842 Cambie Street?
    Well I live around Brentwood Mall, if anyone knows where that is. Most I'd travel is like 30 minutes from there. Cambie Street is too far though and I'd have to take at least 2 busses and a skytrain

Page 1 of 2 12 Last