Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/24/2010 11:30am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

proper weight gainer usage

How do you properly use weight/mass gainer supplements? I recently went out and purchased a cheapo jug of "Body Fortress" Super Mass Gainer. The instructions on the container say to take 4 scoops (170g) with 20oz of water directly after a workout (4scoops=620 cals). IS this the only was to use the supplement? Is there a better way?

http://www.bodyfortress.com/SUPER-MASS-GAINER

Why I want to use a mass gainer- Given my recent change in work schedule it's hard for me eat the 5-6 meals a day i'm used to. Right now I work as a server at an upscale restaurant and I frequently work double shifts. Meal wise all I have time for is a breakfast morning meal around 8-9:00, a midshift lunch meal around 3-4:00, and late meal after I get off around 10-11:00. I don't need any suggestions about snacking on nuts and berries throughout the day, this is just not feasible at my job. I am also trying to gain strength and weight using a hardgainers routine layed out by Pavel.

I figure with only 3 meals a day each meal I eat should be minimum 1,000 cals. Does this sound right? Currently i'm 165-170 14% bodyfat. Are there some other options I should consider?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/24/2010 9:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's just more food, there's really no need to overthink it. Just use it when you need more calories.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    7/25/2010 10:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    It's just more food, there's really no need to overthink it. Just use it when you need more calories.
    That's pretty much what i've been doing. Since i'm used to six meals a day, i eat my three meals at breakfast,lunch, and dinner and drink a weight gainer/protein shake between breakfast and lunch and lunch-dinner. Sounds good, right?

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 7:49am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have read that your body can only digest 50 grams of protein at a time, so that if you eat more than 50 grams, you body simply stores it as fat. Protein takes a lot of energy to digest, so your body doesn't like a lot of it at one time. I am really suspicious of the weightgainers and protein powders, it seems to me simply eating natural foods is the best choice..

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 9:20am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by killshot78 View Post
    I have read that your body can only digest 50 grams of protein at a time, so that if you eat more than 50 grams, you body simply stores it as fat. Protein takes a lot of energy to digest, so your body doesn't like a lot of it at one time. I am really suspicious of the weightgainers and protein powders, it seems to me simply eating natural foods is the best choice..

What is your source?

Edit: Additionally, I'm not sure why you brought up protein. Most weight gainers have way more carbs than protein.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 12:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    What is your source?

Edit: Additionally, I'm not sure why you brought up protein. Most weight gainers have way more carbs than protein.
    Not to mention the fact that I can't eat "natural food" in the middle of a shift as already mentioned. I need a quick meal replacement solution. So far the mass gainer shakes seem to work fine.

Sick double leg.

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 12:26am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The protein digestion topic was brought up in Russ's ongoing thread I think but not proved, I think.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/16/2010 8:49am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The best usage I've found is giving me rancid gas.