Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/23/2010 12:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wrestiling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How is this program??

Hey guys my rugby coach made me a sample program for putting of mass and strength for the upcoming season that incorperates the 20 rep squat routine i would appreciate if you guys took a look at it and had any adivice on how to tweak it or make it better thanks

Day1

20 rep squat

Max Bench Press

DB incline bench

Glute ham raises

Bent over row

Arms/ calves

Day 2

20 rep squat

Dynamic Bench Press

Stiff leg dead lift

Military Press

Shrugs

Arms/ calves

Day3

20 rep squat

Rep bench press

Glute ham raises

Weighted dips

Reverse lunges

Lat pull down

Arms/ calves

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    7/23/2010 1:32pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can’t tell you anything about what sorts of programs are good or not, but I can tell you this: Someone is probably going to come by and ask you to define your goals. Is that program good for…what? What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Once you provide that information, posters who actually know something about strength training (i.e. not me) will be able to help you.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/23/2010 1:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    I can’t tell you anything about what sorts of programs are good or not, but I can tell you this: Someone is probably going to come by and ask you to define your goals. Is that program good for…what? What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Once you provide that information, posters who actually know something about strength training (i.e. not me) will be able to help you.
    His first sentence says it's for mass and strength gaining.

TC: Looks like your coach tried to mutate 20 rep squats with Westside Barbell for Skinny Bastards. Running two programs at the same time is a good way to **** them both up. I also don't understand why you'd train both Dynamic Effort and Reptition Effort for the bench press paired with Maximal Effort, I'd just run them in cycles (6 weeks DE, 6 weeks ME).

I can appreciate what he's going for here, but I think it's trying too hard to be everything at once. You'll put on plenty of weight with a westside program as it is, as long as your calories are in. I'd say, if you just want to gain mass, follow 20 rep squats true to form. If you want to gain strength with some mass, you can just do Westside Barbell for Skinny Bastards, and if you really have a hardon for high rep squats, you could trade your DE lower body day for a 20 rep squat day.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2010 2:33am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tai chi, silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just my opinion, but I would lose some of these exercises like shrugs and calf raises and even lat pulldowns. Maybe skip the weighted dips, what with all the bench presses. Keep all the rest and that would be plenty for your purpose.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2010 8:00am

Style: Wujichuan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What position do you play, and how is the CV & speed work being incorporated into the training schedule?

Posted On:
    7/27/2010 2:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wrestiling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i play loose forward during this time i will only be practicing once a week and be skipping for footwork and agility on the off days

Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2010 3:41pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm with Emevas, just do WS4SB. If you want more volume for your legs, do a couple extra sets after your max at 70-80%, which I believe DeFranco himself suggested somewhere on the site.

And do some chinups.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/28/2010 2:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd keep the weighted dips instead of the bench press seeing as Rugby shares alot of aspects with combat sports.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler: