1. #1
    DdlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,802
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Boys Scouts self defense

    http://www.bartitsu.org/index.php/20...-self-defence/

    An essay on the association between the Scouting movement and self defense training, including the "Master-at-Arms" merit badge for skill in boxing, wrestling, fencing, quarterstaff and jujitsu.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    0.5 inches from the screen
    Posts
    462
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, I wish we had that when I was a boy scout in Serbia...
    BTW, nice article man! :thumbsup:

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Spokanistan, WA
    Posts
    91
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    Damn, I wish we had that when I was a boy scout in Serbia...
    BTW, nice article man! :thumbsup:
    Me too, we just got in cow pie fights. That article was informative, I wish they'd of stuck with the master of arms merit badge.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    146
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sherlock Holmes was a Bartitsu master.
    Last edited by mrtnira; 7/23/2010 9:03pm at . Reason: Corrected spelling of Bartitsu.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    116
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrtnira View Post
    Sherlock Holmes was a Bartitsu master.
    He also had some books written about him.


    -Are there any scout troops that continue the badge, and in what countries? I heard that the brits still have it, but I'm not sure.

  6. #6
    DdlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,802
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to the article, the British Scouts still have a master-at-arms badge but it only recognizes shooting, fencing and archery.

    The Baden Powell Scouts, which I understand to be a "back-to-basics", traditionalist breakaway group, still offer the original badge with the addition of "archery or any recognized martial art". They would be hard-pressed to find instructors in things like quarterstaff or singlestick fencing these days, so it's possible that they have simply maintained Baden Powell's original list of sports as options rather than actually maintaining the practice of those sports.

    There was a guy several years ago who was trying to revive the stickfighting aspects of the master-at-arms badge but he was basing it on Filipino rather than Western styles.

  7. #7
    adouglasmhor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Glasgow, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,494
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    According to the article, the British Scouts still have a master-at-arms badge but it only recognizes shooting, fencing and archery.

    The Baden Powell Scouts, which I understand to be a "back-to-basics", traditionalist breakaway group, still offer the original badge with the addition of "archery or any recognized martial art". They would be hard-pressed to find instructors in things like quarterstaff or singlestick fencing these days, so it's possible that they have simply maintained Baden Powell's original list of sports as options rather than actually maintaining the practice of those sports.

    There was a guy several years ago who was trying to revive the stickfighting aspects of the master-at-arms badge but he was basing it on Filipino rather than Western styles.
    Baden Powell Scouts were full of paedos in the 80s and 90s.

  8. #8
    DdlR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    4,802
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by adouglasmhor View Post
    Baden Powell Scouts were full of paedos in the 80s and 90s.
    Yeesh. I'm surprised the organization survived that sort of scandal.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO