Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
  1. #11
    Emevas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Minot AFB, ND
    Posts
    6,788
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirc View Post
    I have. I was just a little malnourished and tired that day. This was done at around 8pm at night after every class was over.
    It looks as though the sun was in your eyes as well.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    84
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega the Merciless View Post
    Who'd be older?
    You haha No disrespect or anything. It's just when I think "Omega" I think of a bearded dude with battle scars or something.

  3. #13
    maofas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,971
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I drilled the sp/orth loop jab to counter cross for 15 minutes at the end of class tonight and used it in sparring a few times. It seemed good (I mean, it landed & solidly countered what it was supposed to counter), but each time I was wondering if I was about to get my head round kicked off as we throw quite a lot, especially following 1-2s.

    Edit: Thinking about it in retrospect, I guess if you land the stiff jab almost at the same time as their cross should've landed you'll stop some of those round kicks preemptively. It's still nervewracking though. :p
    Last edited by maofas; 7/23/2010 11:03pm at .

  4. #14

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,475
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battusai View Post
    You haha No disrespect or anything. It's just when I think "Omega" I think of a bearded dude with battle scars or something.
    According to most I look a lot younger than I am.

    @maofas: I've never been hit with a roundhouse via that move but it's always possible. I thought I had addressed this issue in the video.

  5. #15
    maofas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,971
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You did, by saying keep your hand up for round kick or overhand. I just didn't think much about it until I actually tried it out and felt where my face was.

    I'm fairly long-limbed so the end of my jab is a good distance for most equal-height people to headkick me. If I were stockier I might be crowding the kick more. Either way I didn't get kicked in the head tonight, well, not because of this move anyways...

  6. #16
    Sang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,247
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No counter is perfect, you are going to be open to something when you throw a punch. That said, this one works well (the southpaw variation) and i like how Omega addressed the followup left kick.. thats my favorite combination.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

  7. #17
    King Sleepless's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cuba
    Posts
    10,058
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    It looks as though the sun was in your eyes as well.
    Nah, I'm just chinky.

    Quote Originally Posted by battusai View Post
    You haha No disrespect or anything. It's just when I think "Omega" I think of a bearded dude with battle scars or something.
    He does have battle scars.

    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    I drilled the sp/orth loop jab to counter cross for 15 minutes at the end of class tonight and used it in sparring a few times. It seemed good (I mean, it landed & solidly countered what it was supposed to counter), but each time I was wondering if I was about to get my head round kicked off as we throw quite a lot, especially following 1-2s.

    Edit: Thinking about it in retrospect, I guess if you land the stiff jab almost at the same time as their cross should've landed you'll stop some of those round kicks preemptively. It's still nervewracking though. :p
    Counters leave you open, just like attacking someone. Also, I've never been hit with a roundhouse while using this. And I use it repeatedly all the time to counter jabs and follow up with a side kick or an overhand left. (Southpaw)

  8. #18
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get caught with this from time to time by an amateur fighter at our gym. Didn't have a solid grasp on what was happening before I watched this video. Very clear and well spoken.

  9. #19
    Hiro Protagonist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    5,432
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Since rep-mode seems deactivated under Google Chrome, PUSH UPS for you two!

    To turn the knee downwards when caught was actually something new to me. *Blushes.*

  10. #20
    dwkfym's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay Area
    Posts
    2,020
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really like that turn down thing. Once you get good at it, does the knee turndown happen quickly, or will it be exposed to a leg kick counter while turning the back more toward the opponent?

Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO