Sponsored Links Spacer Image

No longer a Kaju-Critic

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 12:57am

supporting member
     Style: Kajukenbo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well.. time limit refers to your skill in finishing a fight quickly... and uh... a no time limit refers to fighting a martial opponent full out? I have no idea, like I said "I always figured..." I really have no definite answer, just giving out ideas.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 1:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bunyip,

I could be completely wrong, and if I was talking to my wife, I know I would be, but I think the no time limit comes into play if there is no winner by KO or points at the end of 6 rounds. I think you just keep fighting two minute rounds until someone wins. I don't know if they still do points anymore, but when I was watching the semis and the finals, scoring a point was nearly impossible. So as long as both fighters were on their feet and able to answer the bell, they kept fighting. Some body ask Whiteshark, he should know this...being a Chicago boy and a Shidokan man as well.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 1:52am

Style: muay thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hey whiteshark, you live in chicago? Me too!! I'm actually going over the gym that shonie carter teaches at on thursday. Let me know what's up, maybe we can workout together sometime.

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 2:01am

hall of fame
     Style: jits with hits

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kail - that would make sense, but the rules also talk about judges' decisions, so I think that's not the case. I guess we'll have to wait for whiteshark...
    "I'm offering straight punch, kick while downed to the ribs or head, and of course- the german suplex...which is one suplex quickly followed by another." - Guerilla Fists

Matt Thornton explains "aliveness": http://www.bullshido.com/videos/sbg2.wmv

West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu thread
    West Wind Karate / West Wind Bok Fu / West Wind Kung Fu archive thread
    (experiment to see if I can boost the thread's Google rank)

The Man with No Neck

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 8:20am

supporting member
     Style: submission wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys are kidding, right? I've watched Shidokan on ESPN twice and spent most of it laughing at the subterranean skill level and half-assed conditioning being showcased. Honestly, most of the guys I watched in Shidokan would get killed in a small-promotion MMA show. Especially the grappling part, I've seen better ground-fighting at a Little League practice. Maybe Shidokan wasn't always like that, but boy, the two shows I caught stunk pretty bad.

It is better than watching guys in gis and mullets breaking boards, I give it that. . .
    "I had once talked to Billy Conn, the boxer, about professionals versus amateurs - specifically street fighters. One had always heard rumors of champions being taken out by back-alley fighters. Conn was scornful. "Aw, it's like hitting a girl," he said. "They're nothing."

- George Plimpton
    "Shadow Box"

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 8:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ?where is whiteshark

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 8:54am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I live in Atlanta not Chicago but I train with the current lightweight World Shidokan Champion Richard Trammell. www.Shidokan-Atlanta.com that's my gym

Vargas is half right. Because Shidokan is fairly new and a smaller venue there have been some lame fights but that was a couple years ago the last few events have been excellent. Also there is a higher degree of technical skill in the light and middle weight classes IMHO. This is due(i think) to bigger paychecks being available to heavyweights in other organizations.

Rules - (I Think) NO TIME LIMIT refers to time on the ground all they mean is that they don't stand you up for inactivity. But because it is 2/3 a striking event many of the fighters want to stand up.

Also - The US Open for Light and Middle weight will be held here in Atlanta in June. My gym is the hosting dojo it would be really cool if some of you guys could make it.
    Last edited by WhiteShark; 2/25/2004 9:03am at .

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 8:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    whitey----- are you allowed to gnp?

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 9:02am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No.
    There is no striking allowed on the ground. But I have seen KOs in the mma rounds! Like I said a lot of the fighters like to stand-up. And 5oz gloves are evil on people that know how to strike.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/25/2004 9:06am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kail --> 'I could be completely wrong, and if I was talking to my wife, I know I would be'

Classic

;)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12