Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 4:15pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    Thanks.

If you're referring to Mo's polygraph, those things are a great example of bio-feedback bullshit.

So you feel that performing feats of strength can't be trained? Please continue...:zicon_ram

Ok so you claim to know exactly what Chi is then, since you know what I described is definitely "Not 'chi'". Please tell us more about chi then.

Thanks for that useless anatomy lesson.

Hmm no it's basic electro-thermodynamics.

You're blabbing on and on about all sorts of physics terms that aren't part of our discussion.

Yeah please do, for the rest of us.

That's a really silly thing to say, considering the million things you can do to move heat from/to the body. You just disproved heat pads, ice packs, and punching, for starters. It's funny you bring up things like the hypothalamus since the effects on heat and overheating on the hypothalamus results in heat stroke deaths. So now you're trying to disprove that people die from the heat transfer that causes heat stroke.

I don't know if I can control it, but I won't find out without trying.

Go train.

Rabbit knows electrothermodynamics very well.
    #1. I have watched Strongman competitions before. I was referring to seemingly superhuman feats of strength, which is why I mentioned the fucking Hulk.

#2. You still haven't clarified your statements on energy transfer. I was giving you some buzzwords to help you bullshit your way through some more.

#3. My references to things not being "chi" is simply my insistence that chi and all that **** doesn't exist.

#4. I was referring to optimal circumstances where it concerns heat transfer inside the body. Inside. All of those things you mentioned require external stimuli.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 4:20pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post
    #2. You still haven't clarified your statements on energy transfer. I was giving you some buzzwords to help you bullshit your way through some more.
    You keep calling thermodynamics bullshit, and you have a very poor understanding of bodily thermodynamics.

#4. I was referring to optimal circumstances where it concerns heat transfer inside the body. Inside. All of those things you mentioned require external stimuli.
    You already lost this argument, when I quoted the work from Dr. Taradaj.

Now you're arguing producing heat from muscular contraction requires external stimuli?

I can make more popcorn...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 4:29pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You keep calling thermodynamics bullshit, and you have a very poor understanding of bodily thermodynamics.

You already lost this argument, when I quoted the work from Dr. Taradaj.

Now you're arguing producing heat from muscular contraction requires external stimuli?

I can make more popcorn...
    You're refusing to clarify your own points while insisting upon my incorrectness without producing an argument as to why.

I'm out of this thread for a while.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 4:39pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wonko221 View Post
    If people want to gather and discuss morality and myth in their own small groups, more power to them. But when they want to use this as a stance from which to inform public policy, from school boards to legislation, they shouldn't get to hide behind the "ineffable nature of god" (not to say Kintanon is or does do this, but it's not uncommon amongst the religious).
    I agree with this precisely.
    I do believe in a creator deity, I don't believe Humanity is special or alone though, so the whole landscaping the planet thing falls flat for me. I also don't think that people who believe in any kind of god need to be putting their beliefs in the way of education, or policy, nor should they legislate their moral code as if it were universal. I believe that the pursuit of truth through Science and the scientific method is the greatest worship one can offer God as it is the purest form of examination that one can offer to the universe he created. How can anyone claim to believe in and worship god while at the same time railing against the study of his creation? It's an absurdity.
    Some asshole with a gold rolex and slicked back hair in a megachurch on late night television? That guy isn't praising God. The guys out at the LHC searching for the Higgs-Boson, THEY are praising God. Belief in and worship of God should fuel a burning desire to know everything about the universe, not a desire to suppress knowledge about it.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    8/04/2010 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're refusing to clarify your own points while insisting upon my incorrectness without producing an argument as to why.

I'm out of this thread for a while.
    I produced scientific literature on bodily thermodynamics involving heat production and transfer in the body and during exercise.

I will re-produce it.

THE THERMODYNAMICS OF THE HUMAN BODY AND THE BIOPHYSICAL
    FEATURES OF THE THERMAL ENERGY

Quote:
    Most of the heat produced in the body is generated in the deep organs, especially in the liver, brain, heart and the skeletal muscles during exercise. Then this heat is transferred from the
    deeper organs and tissues to the skin, where it is lost to the air and other surroundings. Therefore, the rate at which heat is lost is determined almost entirely by two factors: first, how rapidly heat can be conducted from where it is produced in the body core to the skin and how rapidly heat can then be transferred from the skin to the surroundings.
    http://www.biofizyka.slam.katowice.pl/lab/lab5.prn.pdf

AUTHOR
    Jakub Taradaj
    Chair and Department of Medical Biophysics
    Silesian University School of Medicine
    ul. Medyków 18, bud. C2
    40 - 752 Katowice
    POLAND

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2010 12:23am

Style: Backyard Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously, Rabbit. Nobody likes you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2010 4:58am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm a quantum physics geek too. I agree with Chainpunch on what Qi probably is though, nothing magical, but a real fundamental force of nature humans have always had but rarely taps in to. Just call it the "flow" of your physiology. Think that is bullshit? Ask anyone who learns to maintain their own pulse rate:

http://aerobic-conditioning.suite101...rate-naturally

Take the simple example of adrenal glands, and how a quick squirt of adrenaline and other things poorly understood by science that can allow a person to lift a car to save someone's life. To me this is what Qi is...something every person can tap in to if they train right, or occasionally in times of crisis. And I feel that Chainpunch is right that it exists 180 degrees away from Bullshido.net

http://www.kctv5.com/news/22003146/detail.html
    You are making grand statements regarding "training right" and you are fitting the facts to fit the belief, which is not the way good science works. Where are these people who train right and can use chi more efficiently. I have yet to see anyone who trains in traditional chi arts exclusively show any success in a ring based on chi.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2010 8:11am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by chainpunch View Post
    If molecules are not powered how do they perform their functions do you think they are static inactive objects?
    Of course I don't think they're static, inactive objects. But a molecular interaction is not "powered" in the same sense your electric razor is powered.

I'm a quantum physics geek too. I agree with Chainpunch on what Qi probably is though, nothing magical, but a real fundamental force of nature humans have always had but rarely taps in to. Just call it the "flow" of your physiology. Think that is bullshit? Ask anyone who learns to maintain their own pulse rate:

http://aerobic-conditioning.suite101...rate-naturally

Take the simple example of adrenal glands, and how a quick squirt of adrenaline and other things poorly understood by science that can allow a person to lift a car to save someone's life. To me this is what Qi is...something every person can tap in to if they train right, or occasionally in times of crisis. And I feel that Chainpunch is right that it exists 180 degrees away from Bullshido.net

http://www.kctv5.com/news/22003146/detail.html
    That's got absolutely **** all to do with quantum physics. Well done.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2010 11:31am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tideliar View Post
    Of course I don't think they're static, inactive objects. But a molecular interaction is not "powered" in the same sense your electric razor is powered.
    Me neither.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/05/2010 11:34am

Style: hard work work

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the OP is still checking this thread, let me get away from the nature of chi that's been argued because it has fuckall to do with fighting, and get to the practicality. My flippant remark comparing chi cultivation with online video games was meant to point out that both have about the same proven level of results for martial applications. If we assume that you are here because you are wondering about the martial applications of chi, the initial vids answered that.

Maybe you can point to a bunch of limber, healthy Chinese seniors as proof of the existence of chi because they do the long form in a park every morning, but maybe it's just because they go to a park every morning. I think that the excessive mental masturbation of the chi warrior leads to self-delusion. Top athletes and fighters usually have a routine they follow which settles their mind before an event. The problem comes when chi advocates point to this as the power of the mind and give it too much credit, thinking that mental preparedness is all that is needed. The top athletes and fighters also train their asses off, which around here is pretty much the advice: think less, train more.
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 ... LastLast