Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 12:47pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Qi,Chi,Ki, or whatever else it may be called

I've googled my rear off for a long time and found quite a few things on martial arts (this site being one of them). I am quite fond of the mechanics, physics, and genius behind many of these arts. While I come along many things that are perfectly explainable I come along some other things that are well, they may be Bullshido for lack of a better term. The concept of inner bodily energys (Qi,Chi,Ki and some other pronunciations) pops up in more then a few websites(and books). Some people claim that with this energy feets such as mind control, increased regenerative ability(for yourself or another) as to the point of instantly healing a wound, attracting/putting out flames, causing an electromagnetic feild, and even instantly ending the life of an adversary without touching them is possible. There are claims that this energy can be cultivated by meditating, stand on stake training, and basicly many forms of doing nothing. While many people don't make such claims the ammount that do is suprisingly high (To the point that its disturbed my fragile martial artist mind). Very little scientific investigation has been done on the matter. Logicaly either A. There is a level of bodily control that us mear mortals have not properly investigated or B. This is the best scam since "No really i won't try anything while your drunk". Comments my fellow Bullshidoers?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 1:39pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have discussed this here time and time again. It's frankly a very tired subject on these boards.

A & B -

A. There is a level of bodily control that is attainable.

B. I have never seen evidence, even in personal experiences, in which Ki actually generated psionic powers that effected me any more than full contact interaction.

Lurk Moar my friend. Use the search option. Browse the stickies. ETC...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 1:45pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Tex said. This **** has been looked at over and over and has as much credibility as homeopathy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 1:57pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the contrary. There has been lots and lots and lots of scientific investigation on this matter.

By people who aren't scientists, don't use double-blind testing, and do experiments outside of their field of expertise.

I'm going to go FALCON PUNCH a dead horse now.

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 2:16pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yay horse flogging can i drive the point home with a little bit of yellow bamboo?
    YouTube- Yellow Bamboo vs reality

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 2:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 2:20pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haven't gotten enough carbs for today, how's about some more copypasta!

YouTube- Kiai Master vs MMA

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 3:35pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by QiMaster View Post
    I've googled my rear off for a long time and found quite a few things on martial arts (this site being one of them). I am quite fond of the mechanics, physics, and genius behind many of these arts. While I come along many things that are perfectly explainable I come along some other things that are well, they may be Bullshido for lack of a better term. The concept of inner bodily energys (Qi,Chi,Ki and some other pronunciations) pops up in more then a few websites(and books). Some people claim that with this energy feets such as mind control, increased regenerative ability(for yourself or another) as to the point of instantly healing a wound, attracting/putting out flames, causing an electromagnetic feild, and even instantly ending the life of an adversary without touching them is possible. There are claims that this energy can be cultivated by meditating, stand on stake training, and basicly many forms of doing nothing. While many people don't make such claims the ammount that do is suprisingly high (To the point that its disturbed my fragile martial artist mind). Very little scientific investigation has been done on the matter. Logicaly either A. There is a level of bodily control that us mear mortals have not properly investigated or B. This is the best scam since "No really i won't try anything while your drunk". Comments my fellow Bullshidoers?
    Generally speaking, such beliefs are a good way to make sure that everyone in a MA class "is singing from the same song sheet", but this is of course dependant on realising that it is nothing more than a teaching model. No offence to Der or any other "Pro Buddthist" out there, but in a MA class, the role of chi is nothing more and nothing less. The problem arises when the "instructor" doesn't realise (or want to realise) that this is only a teaching model. Take aikido for example: every crappy aikido instructor goes on and on about "mystical energy". But on the other hand, several Japanese high ranking sensei who used to do judo say that "aiki" to aikido is the same as "kuzushi" (off balancing) in Judo. It is more about "joining with your attackers spirit/thoughts and using that to destroy him from the inside" that "connecting yourself with some obscure good side of the force".
    Many other MA have similar concepts with similar application. Period.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 9:18pm

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Really? I thought Star Wars was a documentary. You mean there is no such thing as the Force?

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 9:22pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    Generally speaking, such beliefs are a good way to make sure that everyone in a MA class "is singing from the same song sheet", but this is of course dependant on realising that it is nothing more than a teaching model. No offence to Der or any other "Pro Buddthist" out there, but in a MA class, the role of chi is nothing more and nothing less. The problem arises when the "instructor" doesn't realise (or want to realise) that this is only a teaching model. Take aikido for example: every crappy aikido instructor goes on and on about "mystical energy". But on the other hand, several Japanese high ranking sensei who used to do judo say that "aiki" to aikido is the same as "kuzushi" (off balancing) in Judo. It is more about "joining with your attackers spirit/thoughts and using that to destroy him from the inside" that "connecting yourself with some obscure good side of the force".
    Many other MA have similar concepts with similar application. Period.
    Good lord you have mixed three concepts and what you read and mixed them all up. Please stick to Judo and quit commenting on everything you google.

The fact you think chi has anything to do with being "pro-buddhist" wow seriously stop.
Page 1 of 14 1 234511 ... LastLast