Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2013 1:00am

Style: Boxing, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No BS Wing Chun?

I've been seeing a lot of people saying WC is one of the single worst martial arts out there. What i want to know is why, and also get some opinions on this man: "https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmBOVrS6zyEnKcr-VPCl0DQ"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/23/2013 8:13am

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is already a not-so-old Thread about him here:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=120964

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/24/2013 2:38pm

Style: Boxing, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you

Posted On:
    6/24/2013 3:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It can be arged that, in the context of martial arts,"BS" means claims to effectiveness are made that aren't backed up in any readily-measurable way.

The more actual examples there are, of the martial art being used in a martial way (against a fully-resisting opponent in an open-ruleset or no-rules encounter), the more difficult it is to call that MA "BS".

Of course, one can decide for oneself what is and isn't BS. My Karate, for example, works for the purposes that I train for...but then I'm not trying to convince anyone else of its efficacy, so if anyone else considers it BS, that's an opinion to which they're obviously entitled.

What amuses me are those who seem to be on some sort of mission to convince others of their MA's efficacy. If you're trying to set up or maintain a school, that's business. However, if you're just a practitioner, and your training works for you, why would you care what others think of it?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/24/2013 3:43pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't disagree but I think the problem is related to the idea that "your training works for you"...as in many cases that means it doesn't really work at all...

Posted On:
    6/25/2013 4:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    I don't disagree but I think the problem is related to the idea that "your training works for you"...as in many cases that means it doesn't really work at all...
    Understood. What I meant was, does your training fulfill the goal you set out for it?

Of course, if somebody is training in an ineffective-in-practical-terms MA, and they never end up in a situation where they have to put it to the test (which, statistically, is possible) then--yes--they may end up maintaining a delusion over a lifetime.

Well...they got something they thought worked (because they never actually tested it in a realistic manner), and whoever taught them that MA got some cash.

I'm not saying that's "right", but--unless you're a pro fighter or someone who has use-of-force in their job-description...