Posted On:
    7/29/2010 7:01am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1 View Post
    Memory lapse. Apologies, :(.

Last question, emevas, you said something about an established program? Do you have any good ones in mind? Or a site I could research one? I'm looking go go 3-5 times a week, and wanting to do a total body work out. I figure the running I can fix on my own time.
    For your sniper indoc:

www.militaryathlete.com

Don't worry about your abs until after you get through your indoc program. Most likely, if the sniper section you're interested in joining is worth a ****, the PT test will not really count for that much. That will likely be a day one event, just to make sure you can pass to their standard. As for distance running, the generic special operations standard is 5 miles in less than 40 minutes (keep in mind that you will probably be beat the hell up when you have to do this, so try to have a pretty healthy cushion in your 5 mile time. 36 or 37 minutes is safe as a minimum). Also, any generic sniper/recon element usually weights heavily toward land navigation and ruck marches, so make sure you don't suck at those.

The biggest part of any selection/indoctrination program is showing up healthy and being unwilling to quit. That toughness, along with the below advice will automatically put you in at least the 90th percentile of your class.

3moose1 specific advice: Not talking EVER will be really important, because you have a tendency to say a lot of stupid **** and ask retarded questions. Seriously. If you can get through the entire course without speaking individually, it would be for the best. If you do have to speak individually, try to actually think about what you're going to say before you start talking.
    Last edited by Cassius; 7/29/2010 7:05am at .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 5:56pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's better to run outside then on a treadmill ( If some strange reason you don't want to go outside maybe the treadmill but outside is always better :D!) Running is a good way to get cut! the guys on the 1st page know more then me but when out running throw in some push ups, squats, pull ups, jumping jacks, stretches, a lot of body weight exercises (these aren't in order) yah know?

As for diet I'm not a expert in that, getting the proper nutrition confuses the heck out of me and I always end up asking like... when should I eat that? when do I drink this? how much should I....is it healthy if I eat/drink..... e.t.c

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 6:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, Cassius, I appreciate that.
    And, I literally am completely different, especially when I'm pretending to be in the military.

Thanks, yhough. I appreciate it. When I asked one of the sta platoon sgts about the indoc, he said be good at land nav, and be good at running. You don't have to be and 18 min three mile, but you gotta be able to run distance.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 7:17pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can do a decent 21 minute ish 3 miles (or used to be able to, haven't timed in a long time) but for the life of me running 3 miles on the treadmill kills me.

Oh, and screw machines. Do free weights, and listen to Emevas. BTW I'm making this post mainly to express respects to you doing sniper indoc thing (is that same as trying out for sniper school?) and how badass it would be once you go through it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 7:34pm

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks, Cassius, I appreciate that.
    And, I literally am completely different, especially when I'm pretending to be in the military.

Thanks, yhough. I appreciate it. When I asked one of the sta platoon sgts about the indoc, he said be good at land nav, and be good at running. You don't have to be and 18 min three mile, but you gotta be able to run distance.
    So, two years ago it was Air Force, and you're still asking how to get fit for, what is it, sniper now? :p

Treadmill running is not necessarily bad. Set the incline to 1, maybe 1.5% for runs, that's what will get you closer to simulating running on the road. The biggest problems with treadmills is calibration. You don't know that the reading is correct. I'm a little different in opinion than Emevas, treadmills teach you pacing, because it forces you to run a specific pace. The other way is to go out to a track with a stopwatch, and keep running easy laps trying to hit a specific time per lap.

Now, if you have to run "distance", you need to be running 2-4 miles, 4-6 times per week. One of the things I recommend for that is 2x short, 2x medium, 1x long, not much variance between paces. So, on the short days, you run 20 mins. On the medium, you run 40 mins. On the long days, 60 mins. Or 15-30-45 mins depending on your fitness.

If you have to walk, fine. Walk a bit, run a bit. Keep going. Distance running is a time based thing, it's more about putting in lots of time at a steady pace, rather than a couple days here and there and then running 1/4 mile repeats. Intervals have their place, but for what you want to do (Not really time based per se), they won't help as much as another day of steady running.

John

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 7:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dw; it's complicated, kind of. I'll be in a sniper platoon. I'll be able to handle the weapons and do sniping missions, but your not a sniper unless you graduate scout/sniper school :p. It'll get me the chance to actually go to school, though.

Aodan, yeah it was af, till I joined the Marine Corps :p. I ran four mile on Sunday, and can do so about three times a week. Should I just skip that and run at a decent, steady pace like you said? How should I increase speed?

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2010 11:04pm

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    . I ran four mile on Sunday, and can do so about three times a week. Should I just skip that and run at a decent, steady pace like you said? How should I increase speed?
    Simple. Run faster. If you do 20/40/60, and on your 20 minute days you normally run 8:00 pace (2.5 miles in 20 mins), run it at a 7:45 pace. when that becomes easy, run 7:30.

On some of your runs, throw in pickups. 12 minutes of 1 minute hard, 1 minute easy. If you already have gotten to where you do 3x week of 4 miles each with no problem, then you'd probably be ok to add in some hard intervals on one other day, so that you are running 4x week. Just don't get wiggy and kill yourself on them.

For endurance training, like anything else, the goal is to be able to get up and work out the next day. If you trash yourself to the point you can't workout for a couple days, that's just wasted time.

John

Posted On:
    7/31/2010 2:34pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Throw in some sprints while your jogging/running :)

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/31/2010 10:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsukyomi View Post
    Throw in some sprints while your jogging/running :)
    Why ?
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    8/01/2010 2:46am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How far away is your test and what is your 3 mile time right now? I've done a lot of running and racing in my life but without knowing your baseline and the time to the test I can't help you. Also, are you running on a track for the test?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast