Sponsored Links Spacer Image

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 12:48am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Rate my workout, or how Moose learned he sucks at PT.

Alright, I need help.

I need to be able to run 3 miles in 18 mins, do 20 pullups ( I can do 15) and 100 Crunches (I can do those, but want it to be a piece of cake)

Now, this is what I've been doing,

setting the treadmill for 6 min mile, for 3 miles and running as long as I can till I can't run anymore.

HItting the chest press/bench press/ab/back and pull up/dip machine. I use two 45 pound plates for the chest press/bench press machine, and do 10, 10 8. Then I go to the next machine.

After that, I hit the pull up bar,and do the same thing, lessening the amount of assist on each rep. Same with dips.

Then I hit the ab machine, and the back machine. THen back to the pull up/dip machine then I call it a day.

I did this the other day, my first time in the gym, and my arms died. They are still sore as ****.

WIll this help? I'm looking to tone up my stomach, (getting fat in my old age) as well as my chest and arms. What should I do afterwards to maximize my effort? I'm sorry to post another thread that happens every damn day, but ****. I'm confused as ****, and suck at knowing how to PT.

Also, how can I achieve my goals, as fast as possible?

Goals, again:

Tone up my stomach, and rock abs, yo.
    Get a 300 PFT. (20 pull ups, 100 crunches in 2mins, and 18 min/3 mile)
    Recover faster.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 12:56am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is bullshido man. You should know that you need to train how you fight, so that you'll fight how you train. The chest press is of no benefit, nor are you running on a tredmill for your PT test, dips, ab machines, back machines, etc etc.

With a specific goal of improved 3 mile run time and pull-ups, you need to improve these specific exercises. There is a lot of advice on running out there, but my strategy for my 1.5 mile run (go Air Force) was to run 1.5 miles 2-3 times a week with the goal of improving my time every time I train. I didn't necessarily become a better runner, I simply got better at running 1.5 miles.

For pull-ups, this is a pretty good article on increasing totals

http://www.cbass.com/Pavel'sLadders.htm

In regards to wanting to lose flab, abs are made in the kitchen. Analyze your diet, and make appropriate changes. You can't outtrain a bad diet.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 1:08am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No question my diet is bad. I don't eat at regular times, and never eat healthy.

You should also know that another, secret goal of mine, is to be all muscular and defined and ****. I wanna look sexy, naw mean?

Treadmill won't help my overall running? I also would like to be a better runner, as I'm doing a Sniper indoc soon, and was hinted that distance running is a key factor. Is there a good way of increasing running ability quickly? A way to maximize my running?

ANd how about recovery, after? Any supplements or whatever I should look at to help build muscle and such? What do you suggest, as I know little about all of this stuff.

Thank you for all the help, by the way.

I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    I agree with moosey

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 1:12am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, running on a treadmill isn't really a direct analogue to actually running, as there is no pacing element involved, and various ways to cheat.

What do you mean about recovery? Recovery between sets? Workouts? Reps?

Building muscle tends to go opposite of the goal of getting defined. You need a calorie surplus to build muscle, and a deficit to lose fat. You've got a lot of different goals going in different directions here. Your best bet is to pick 1-2 goals and train for those, and save other goals for once you've accomplished those two.
    "Emevas,

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 1:17am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you so much, I c an't tell you how much I appreciate this.

Alright, how do I recover between work outs, so I'm not unable to use my arms the next day?

I'm going to focus on hitting the functional strength portion, rather then the looking sexy portion. Though I would really like to lose the LITTLE bit of stomach flab I'm developing. Any tips for that?

I agree with moosey

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 1:24am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your best bet for recovery is proper programming on your training. Right now, your training protocol is a mess, but when you get on an established program, you won't be training until your arms fall off, and after 1-2 weeks of training, your body will adapt.

I won't rage at you for saying functional strength, but again, to lose the flab, you need to control your diet. Getting a regular regimine will help, and simply lifestyle changes will be effective at the start (eliminating soda/fast food/snack foods/etc). We have more nutrition experts on the board that can get into the nitty gritty of hormonal manipulation for the sake of fat loss.
    "Emevas,

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 2:26am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moose, I say this with respect because you seem like a decent guy, and I wish you the best in your military pursuits, but how many fucking personal fitness threads do YOU need?

Because now you have THREE. In this forum. All about your personal training regime.

Moose's get fit quick thread! - No BS MMA and Martial Arts
    Getting in shape for Air Force PFTs... - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

For fucks sake man. What's the fucken point of giving you advice on here? Stop asking for advice and start taking the advice people have ALREADY GIVEN YOU. You're wasting space and peoples time.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 3:29am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Memory lapse. Apologies, :(.

Last question, emevas, you said something about an established program? Do you have any good ones in mind? Or a site I could research one? I'm looking go go 3-5 times a week, and wanting to do a total body work out. I figure the running I can fix on my own time.

I agree with moosey

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 3:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, for your specific goals of running and pull-ups, I would just stick with running and pull-ups. The link I provided will serve as a pull-up protocol.

Once you meet those goals, and decide to move onto your muscle gaining goal, consider Starting Strength, Stronglifts 5x5, Madcow/Bill Star's 5x5, Pavel's 3-5, etc.
    "Emevas,

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/25/2010 6:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: tai chi, silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with emevas. During my career I had to do these different PT tests and the only way I ever really passed them was just practicing whatever I had to do on the tests. When I had to do a certain number of push ups, I just did lots of push ups. When I had to run a certain distance in certain time I just ran until I could do it. This method always seemed to work out for me and besides I think some of these other routines are more complicated than they need to be. I am sure to be a competitive bodybuilder these days one needs to know scientific methods of exercise and nutrition, but to pass PT test just find out what you need to do to pass and just work at these exercises until you can do them.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast