Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    7/21/2010 9:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Learn from my mistake.

So today I ended up looking like a jackass in nogi. I was grappling with a profighter purple who I'm usually competitive with. So I'm working my sweeps and 50/50. Usually heel hooks in nogi when the other teacher is running class are ok, but his absence slipped my mind and went for one anyway. I wasn't cranking just slowly applying pressure, and holding. I let go once I realized only a broken knee would come from this, but too late it was on. Long story short I got my knee popped in a toe hold. So being the smarty I am. I realized he must have seen my heelhook as a dick move. I tried to explain after that I meant nothing by it, but the damage was done (to my knee).

Like sex if you don't communicate with your partner someone's going to get mad. Talk with your grappling partner's before hand, and don't be stupid. No comp this weekend for me, and now another injury I've earned this summer.

Posted On:
    7/21/2010 10:55pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Luta Livre

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. The dude should have tapped knowing you had the heel hook, not crank away a toe hold knowing full well you weren't cranking it. It sounds like your partner may be a hot head...and in that case its good to know who those guys are and avoid holds where its a competition on who taps first.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/21/2010 11:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Though I can understand getting upset at someone applying "illegal techniques", it's also unreasonable to try to "teach someone a lesson" by injuring them. Just as you should have communicated, he too should have just said "Dude, what're you doing?"

Both parties are at fault, and I've used way too many quotations in my post. I hope you heal up fast and get back on the mat, and I hope your pro-purple realizes that temper and skill are a dangerous thing.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    7/21/2010 11:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Luta Livre

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Though I can understand getting upset at someone applying "illegal techniques"
    I guess where I roll its different. Its not a tournament so there's never been such a thing as an "Illegal" technique...just a standing rule...don't be a douche and hurt your training partners if you can help it.

So I guess I can't relate to getting angry getting caught in an "Illlegal" technique...I just see it as getting caught.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/21/2010 11:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by herosandwich2 View Post
    I guess where I roll its different. Its not a tournament so there's never been such a thing as an "Illegal" technique...just a standing rule...don't be a douche and hurt your training partners if you can help it.

So I guess I can't relate to getting angry getting caught in an "Illlegal" technique...I just see it as getting caught.
    If you have an agreed upon set of rules in rolling, violating them would be what makes it illegal. I've rolled in clubs where leg locks aren't legal for rolling as a beginnner and one's where they are. It's annoying when you're in the former and a guy goes for one and sees it as an accomplishment, whereas you've been playing by the rules and didn't go for a heel hook where you saw an opening. If it's the latter case, then it's not annoying, because you're looking to defend against these attacks.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    7/21/2010 11:28pm

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a case where he was panicking because he was about to be tapped by a 'lower' belt.

Did you even have time to tap or did he just slap it on and go?

If you didn't have time, there is no fucking excuse for someone cranking a toe-hold so fast that the other person doesn't have a chance to tap.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    7/21/2010 11:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Skippy View Post
    Sounds like a case where he was panicking because he was about to be tapped by a 'lower' belt.

Did you even have time to tap or did he just slap it on and go?

If you didn't have time, there is no fucking excuse for someone cranking a toe-hold so fast that the other person doesn't have a chance to tap.
    I did tap quickly, because he also was putting on kneebars hard before he went for the toe hold. I guess I'm a "lower belt" but I consider us competitive based off our rolls. He apologized and made sure I was ok, but we both knew what was happening. He's a guy I like, and I feel like it was more of a communication error both ways. It's always better to ask if something is ok, than end up looking like a tool doing something your partner views negatively.

(I wasn't trying to fish for pity here, more a cautionary tale.)

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 12:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I say you blame the FBI.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

See my tongue. SEE IT!

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 12:16am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: BJJ, MT, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David Koresh Jr. View Post
    I did tap quickly, because he also was putting on kneebars hard before he went for the toe hold.
    It should have gone like this:

Him: (tap tap) "Hey, I didn't think we were working heel hooks"
    You: "You're right."
    Him: "OK. Let's continue from here."

He should have tapped and addressed the issue instead of cranking a toe-hold.

I guess I'm a "lower belt" but I consider us competitive based off our rolls.
    That's why I put 'lower' in quotes. Perceived differences in skill based on the color of the belt tend to make people think irrationally and do stupid ****. "He's a blue. I can't tap to this!"

He apologized and made sure I was ok, but we both knew what was happening. He's a guy I like, and I feel like it was more of a communication error both ways. It's always better to ask if something is ok, than end up looking like a tool doing something your partner views negatively.
    When an injury like this (knee) is involved, I tend to write angry (don't worry, I never drive angry; don't drive angry). The most common cause for **** like this is an ego getting in the way which pisses me off to think about.

I hope you heal up quickly. Also, don't forget to post another ear pic in the "Can you 'ear me now?" contest. Gussy up your ear a bit to try for more points! Add some fake blood and gore. ;-)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 12:27am

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why you didn't just stab him in the chest after class is beyond me, but... here's to healing up and getting better.

In all honesty, I think the other guy is at fault here because he hurt you through no fault of your own and it sounds most likely that his ego did the cranking.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast