Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/23/2010 9:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by callum828 View Post
    Yes I do mean in October, I'm at Warwick.
    That's the Warwick Uni on the edge of Coventry right? In that case you'd better be training Judo at Coventry Judo club otherwise you're seriously missing out on some top level instruction:

http://www.coventryjudo.co.uk/officials.shtml

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2010 10:04am

Style: Judo, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    That's the Warwick Uni on the edge of Coventry right? In that case you'd better be training Judo at Coventry Judo club otherwise you're seriously missing out on some top level instruction:

http://www.coventryjudo.co.uk/officials.shtml
    Unfortunately, I'm living in Leamington next year, otherwise I probably would be. Besides, the uni club is good, and very cheap.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/23/2010 10:13am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You gotta make like us and keep the sparring on the downlow, until the club starts bringing in results (i.e. winning local fights and tournaments)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2010 10:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    You gotta make like us and keep the sparring on the downlow, until the club starts bringing in results (i.e. winning local fights and tournaments)
    What do you mean by 'keep it on the downlow'? Like keep it secret?

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/23/2010 1:26pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While at my club it is no secret, but we certainly don't tell anyone who doesn't ask. Policemen, staff members, other students, lower administrative people, and some faculty members have stood in the doorway and watched us spar before but we never had an issue.

I want my club to get big and sucessful and turn it into a real sport club. (right now I think we're just a martial arts club) Then make it very clear as we ask the university to put in a ring..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2010 1:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    While at my club it is no secret, but we certainly don't tell anyone who doesn't ask. Policemen, staff members, other students, lower administrative people, and some faculty members have stood in the doorway and watched us spar before but we never had an issue.

I want my club to get big and sucessful and turn it into a real sport club. (right now I think we're just a martial arts club) Then make it very clear as we ask the university to put in a ring..
    Yeah if it was the university's fault I'm sure they would do that. Don't think it is though, I mean the Warwick club quite openly competes against other uni teams nearby. Although, I do know that that is the reason why there's no boxing club at the uni, too 'contraversial'. I imagine an MMA club would meet similar resistance.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/23/2010 1:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    As a heavy 5'9 guy that always has to fight tall opponents, I can't see any bad habits you could develop by learning how to be an infighter.

I have far more experience in boxing than I do in Muay Thai, but I imagine your clinch game will be your most valuable asset. You don't want to play the range game, because you'll lose everytime, so you're better off working hooks, uppercuts, elbows, knees, and all your other close range stuff.
    I do international rules and I've had some bad habits from a similar background. I fought a guy with similar stature and similar, short arms and I tried to in-fight brawl with him. He hit much harder and was stronger. Now, if my footwork were better I might have done pretty well in or out, but at the range where a lot of punches were being exghanged you could see how this went. After the first couple of punches I just started backing up to a range where I didn't know how to fight at and then I got TKO'd.

But this was a no-clinch rule fight, so it might not be as applicable.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12