232433 Bullies, 3923 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 17 of 17
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. judoka_uk is offline
    judoka_uk's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,619

    Posted On:
    7/23/2010 9:35am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by callum828 View Post
    Yes I do mean in October, I'm at Warwick.
    That's the Warwick Uni on the edge of Coventry right? In that case you'd better be training Judo at Coventry Judo club otherwise you're seriously missing out on some top level instruction:

    http://www.coventryjudo.co.uk/officials.shtml
  2. callum828 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Warwick, UK
    Posts
    263

    Posted On:
    7/23/2010 10:04am


     Style: Judo, Muay Thai, MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    That's the Warwick Uni on the edge of Coventry right? In that case you'd better be training Judo at Coventry Judo club otherwise you're seriously missing out on some top level instruction:

    http://www.coventryjudo.co.uk/officials.shtml
    Unfortunately, I'm living in Leamington next year, otherwise I probably would be. Besides, the uni club is good, and very cheap.
  3. dwkfym is offline
    dwkfym's Avatar

    Yours truly

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay Area
    Posts
    2,017

    Posted On:
    7/23/2010 10:13am

    Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You gotta make like us and keep the sparring on the downlow, until the club starts bringing in results (i.e. winning local fights and tournaments)
  4. callum828 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Warwick, UK
    Posts
    263

    Posted On:
    7/23/2010 10:54am


     Style: Judo, Muay Thai, MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    You gotta make like us and keep the sparring on the downlow, until the club starts bringing in results (i.e. winning local fights and tournaments)
    What do you mean by 'keep it on the downlow'? Like keep it secret?
  5. dwkfym is offline
    dwkfym's Avatar

    Yours truly

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay Area
    Posts
    2,017

    Posted On:
    7/23/2010 1:26pm

    Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While at my club it is no secret, but we certainly don't tell anyone who doesn't ask. Policemen, staff members, other students, lower administrative people, and some faculty members have stood in the doorway and watched us spar before but we never had an issue.

    I want my club to get big and sucessful and turn it into a real sport club. (right now I think we're just a martial arts club) Then make it very clear as we ask the university to put in a ring..
  6. callum828 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Warwick, UK
    Posts
    263

    Posted On:
    7/23/2010 1:30pm


     Style: Judo, Muay Thai, MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    While at my club it is no secret, but we certainly don't tell anyone who doesn't ask. Policemen, staff members, other students, lower administrative people, and some faculty members have stood in the doorway and watched us spar before but we never had an issue.

    I want my club to get big and sucessful and turn it into a real sport club. (right now I think we're just a martial arts club) Then make it very clear as we ask the university to put in a ring..
    Yeah if it was the university's fault I'm sure they would do that. Don't think it is though, I mean the Warwick club quite openly competes against other uni teams nearby. Although, I do know that that is the reason why there's no boxing club at the uni, too 'contraversial'. I imagine an MMA club would meet similar resistance.
  7. dwkfym is offline
    dwkfym's Avatar

    Yours truly

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Tampa Bay Area
    Posts
    2,017

    Posted On:
    7/23/2010 1:35pm

    Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    As a heavy 5'9 guy that always has to fight tall opponents, I can't see any bad habits you could develop by learning how to be an infighter.

    I have far more experience in boxing than I do in Muay Thai, but I imagine your clinch game will be your most valuable asset. You don't want to play the range game, because you'll lose everytime, so you're better off working hooks, uppercuts, elbows, knees, and all your other close range stuff.
    I do international rules and I've had some bad habits from a similar background. I fought a guy with similar stature and similar, short arms and I tried to in-fight brawl with him. He hit much harder and was stronger. Now, if my footwork were better I might have done pretty well in or out, but at the range where a lot of punches were being exghanged you could see how this went. After the first couple of punches I just started backing up to a range where I didn't know how to fight at and then I got TKO'd.

    But this was a no-clinch rule fight, so it might not be as applicable.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.