Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2010 5:10pm

Style: Judo, Muay Thai, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sparring partners

So my mate at uni has decided he wants to start Muay Thai. That's great news for me because, since we're living in the same house, I'll have someone I can spar with regularly. The only thing is, he's quite a bit taller than me (5'9" vs 6'3"). Any advice on sparring with taller guys? Will I get into any bad habits that will hinder me when fighting guys my own size?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/21/2010 10:23pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a heavy 5'9 guy that always has to fight tall opponents, I can't see any bad habits you could develop by learning how to be an infighter.

I have far more experience in boxing than I do in Muay Thai, but I imagine your clinch game will be your most valuable asset. You don't want to play the range game, because you'll lose everytime, so you're better off working hooks, uppercuts, elbows, knees, and all your other close range stuff.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    7/21/2010 11:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by callum828 View Post
    So my mate at uni has decided he wants to start Muay Thai. That's great news for me because, since we're living in the same house, I'll have someone I can spar with regularly. The only thing is, he's quite a bit taller than me (5'9" vs 6'3"). Any advice on sparring with taller guys? Will I get into any bad habits that will hinder me when fighting guys my own size?
    Any bad habits you pick up are going to be from sparring and training without supervision or guidance.

Get into a gym please preferably the one your roommate is going to. So you can at least be on the same page when it comes to training methods and techniques.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 5:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Backyard sparring should be avoided.

That being said, I found that bodylocking tall guys when they clinch you saves you from eating knees.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 7:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backfistmonkey View Post
    Any bad habits you pick up are going to be from sparring and training without supervision or guidance.

Get into a gym please preferably the one your roommate is going to. So you can at least be on the same page when it comes to training methods and techniques.
    We'll probably be sparring mainly in the open mat session that the MT club hosts. It won't be 'supervised' as such, but most of the experienced guys will be there. Ideally we would spar in class, but for some reason the uni club hardly ever spars.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 2:03pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's probably because they haven't had enough money from the student union to get proper insurance.. or they are afraid of losing members when they finally realise they are practicing a combat sport
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 5:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by callum828 View Post
    We'll probably be sparring mainly in the open mat session that the MT club hosts. It won't be 'supervised' as such, but most of the experienced guys will be there. Ideally we would spar in class, but for some reason the uni club hardly ever spars.
    What university are you at? All UK universities are on their holiday period now, so presumable you're talking about starting training in October...

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 6:16pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the sports centres generally stay open and there are people living and working at universities all year round
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 6:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    That's probably because they haven't had enough money from the student union to get proper insurance.. or they are afraid of losing members when they finally realise they are practicing a combat sport
    I heard it's because the coach wants us to go to the MT sparring sessions at his gym instead. I mean, the chinese kickboxers spar, I don't see why the MT guys wouldn't, especially since they regularly compete with other universities.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 6:20pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    What university are you at? All UK universities are on their holiday period now, so presumable you're talking about starting training in October...
    Yes I do mean in October, I'm at Warwick.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast