Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/21/2010 4:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shito-Ryu Karate, Fencing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Karate bros, a question on conditioning.

Hey all,

in addition to normal weight exercises (I do squats, overhead presses, dead lifts, bent/standing rows, push ups, sit ups and pull ups)

I wanted to start doing conditioning. I was dicking around one late night and happened upon iron palm training. Chi mysticism nonsense aside, how well do you think this method of training works for conditioning the hands?

I'd like to be able to do breaking without damaging/breaking my hands. The idea of being able to punch someone bare knuckle in the face and not suffer a fucked up hand is appealing to me.

Should I just go and hit the heavy bag? Or does this kind of training have merit to it?

If anyone here has actually done it and not just heard second hand, I'd really like to know how it has effected you.

Thanks for your time

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2010 5:00pm

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have seen comments from people on the board who have done this. I believe concensus is that this can be dangerous to your hands long term, and most people say hit the bag.

Makiwara training gets more positive reviews, but people discuss it as being more around teaching proper alignment and strengthening the wrist than the knuckles per se.

You might want to search - this has been discussed.

Posted On:
    7/26/2010 10:00am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shōtōkan-ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan423 View Post
    Chi mysticism nonsense aside,
    chi nonsense? Lol.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/26/2010 11:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    conditioning your hands is bad for them.. if you're going to do it though I would suggest using a heavy bag rather than anything particularly hard
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 11:54am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shorinji

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    conditioning the hands is not so much the culprit in hand damage as incorrect instruction or no instruction on how to properly do it. Gradual hardening is a good thing, smashing the hell out of your hands looking for over night success.....eh, not so much a good idea.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 1:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gutterfighting/Shorin-Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shorinjite View Post
    conditioning the hands is not so much the culprit in hand damage as incorrect instruction or no instruction on how to properly do it. Gradual hardening is a good thing, smashing the hell out of your hands looking for over night success.....eh, not so much a good idea.
    You are correct sir. I have done Makiwara training and general condition to my wrists, forearms and shins on and off over the past few years. Getting correct instruction is the key. If you punch and just hit the Makiwara this is where the problems happen. The sudden compression and stop of the movement is what leads to damage, if you punch properly and through the makiwara there is no sudden stop. No sudden compression of the joints involved. Instead you meet a gradual resistance until finally your arms is pushed back towards you.

In the begining don't beat the **** out of it. Start at half power 25-50 reps each side, then move up to 75% and 75 strikes and finally 100% and 100+ strikes (whatever you are comfortable with). Same goes with shuto, haito, nukite and kicks.

Hope this helped.

- SA

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 4:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is it with TMA guys and conditioning hands that they're never gonna use..
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 4:46pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAMickey View Post
    What is it with TMA guys and conditioning hands that they're never gonna use..
    None of you other guys better try turning this quote into a bitch-fest because he's right.

He's right and y'all know it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 4:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: shorinji

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well in the off chance that we have to use them, it's best to give yourself an edge and training to reduce injury is just plain being well prepared.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 5:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gutterfighting/Shorin-Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just because a TMA guy doesn't cross train or compete in MMA doesn't mean he won't use his hands to defend himself. Here is a hint, not only TMA guys condition their bodies.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast