Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    9/27/2010 3:49pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice write up, thanks for taking the time to do it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2010 3:58pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. I'll be also giving Mr. Davis a copy of the write-up sometime this week.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/27/2010 4:05pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wish you could have got pictures of the Master's Degrees. Good review. So, in your estimation they looked like they had practiced sparring and Randori to a satisfactory level?

In that I mean it looked like the techniques they had been doing had been practiced adequately and not over a couple of weeks because you were observing?

I know the answer but, give me your impressions before the boo birds start bitching.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2010 4:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the certifications become a major issue, I'll just take my proper camera and get better pictures.

The ASMA ones were blue and basically a template "____ rank in ______ is given _____ 19__ to ______ by _____ (signatures) but I saw them for each of the arts listed. The certificates from Gene Thorner were handwritten (Mr. Thorner's Japanese writing was a bit messy, to be honest.) for 1-dan and 2-dan and then a fancier certificate that authorized Mr. Davis to teach.

To be honest, I don't think the Shorin-ryu group sparred much, if at all. I mentioned in my report about the guy with bent wrists, right? He had the most mental focus of the group and seemed confident in his technique which would not be so if he had been hitting things with those fists.

The Judo group was a little better off because a large portion of the class was active drills, not y'know "Step punch, step punch". The brown belt in the judo group was a young man who had a lot of ferocity, he and an orange belt went for submissions on two occasions during grip fighting before Mr. Davis reprimanded them.

I feel that their Judo program is a nice primer for beginners who don't plan on competing. There is little complexity to the techniques presented. The Karate program is lacking and I wouldn't recommend it.

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/27/2010 4:50pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post

To be honest, I don't think the Shorin-ryu group sparred much, if at all. I mentioned in my report about the guy with bent wrists, right? He had the most mental focus of the group and seemed confident in his technique which would not be so if he had been hitting things with those fists.
    This should be added to your overall review IMO. It helps flesh out what you observed.

The Judo group was a little better off because a large portion of the class was active drills, not y'know "Step punch, step punch". The brown belt in the judo group was a young man who had a lot of ferocity, he and an orange belt went for submissions on two occasions during grip fighting before Mr. Davis reprimanded them.

I feel that their Judo program is a nice primer for beginners who don't plan on competing. There is little complexity to the techniques presented. The Karate program is lacking and I wouldn't recommend it.
    You know what? This entire post should be worked into your review. It is fair and it fits with consumer advocacy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/27/2010 5:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sure thing. In fact, I think the whole report needs some punch-up.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/29/2010 9:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Nagondzog, Bujinkan, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Helmutlvx,

For what it is worth, I appreciate the time and effort you have put into this investigation. I am personally unrelated to all involved and have no stake in your results either way...
    However as a guy who lives in the area and whose family have expressed an interest in MA study in Morgantown, I am grateful for the information you have shared with us.

Thank you..
    Hope your cold goes away swiftly and does not turn into the lung zapping crud thats been going around Morgantown of late...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/29/2010 9:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the well-wishes, fella.

If you or somebody in your family ever want to meet up and train, don't hesitate to ask me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 3:43am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So Helmutlvx, will you be attending GZ or what?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/30/2010 8:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PM sent
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast