Posted On:
    8/30/2010 7:52pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All right, folks. Let's recap.

From here (again):
    http://www.tsksma.com/instructor2.htm

Master Jeff Davis, from Morgantown, West Virginia, has trained in more than two dozen Martial Arts Styles, and holds Certified Teaching Degrees in nine of those, including several different Japanese Grappling Arts (Judo, Aikido, Aikijutsu, Ju-jutsu, etc.). He has also earned four different Martial Arts Master's Degrees: Gyaku-Nami-Do Karate, Shorin-Ryu Karate, Pai-Lum Kung-Fu and Southern Chinese Kempo.
    Certified Teaching Degrees:
    -Kodokan Judo (pending verification)
    -Aikido (unable to be verified)
    -Aikijujutsu (unable to be verified)
    -Jujutsu (unable to be verified)

Martial Arts Master's Degrees:
    -Gyaku-Nami-Do Karate
    -Shorin-ryu Karate
    -Pai-Lum Kung Fu
    -Southern Chinese Kempo

These styles are also styles of Mr. Davis' master, Eugene/Gene F. Thorner, so it is logical to assume Mr. Thorner promoted Mr. Davis.

He began training in Judo when he was 8 years-old under the direction of Grand Master E. F. Thorner from Okinawa, Japan, a three-time national Judo champion (AAU). Almost immediately, Master Davis became immersed in several different forms of the Martial Arts, as he was soon able to train and perform with some of the greatest Martial Artists in the world, including Chuck Norris and World Middleweight Champion, Bill "Superfoot" Wallace.
    Mr. Thorner's arrival in America in 1969 coincides with Mr. Davis' statement that he started learning from him at the age of 8 given the fact Mr. Davis was born in 1961.

The statistics claimed by Mr. Thorner and Mr Davis have a discrepancy here. Mr. Thorner claims to have been state champion (6 times), tri-state champion (Not likely because the AAU has district-level competitition which splits in half the states of Pennsylvania and Ohio, two of the three he claims to be champion of.) and two-time national champion. Not three.
    (source: http://www.shorikandojo.com/document...9;s%20Page.htm)

-Trained/performed with Bill Wallace (unable to be verified)
    -Trained/performed with Chuck Norris (unable to be verified)

In addition to his training in Kodokan Judo, Master Davis has earned rankings in Goshin Jujutsu, as well as several variations of the Aiki Arts (i.e. Aikido, Aiki-Jutsu, Aiki-Jujutsu), and has trained under such notable instructors as Sensei Carl Galey and Ruriko Masutani Sensei (Member of ASMA).
    Rank in Kodokan Judo (pending verification)
    Rank in Goshin Jujutsu (A loose form of jujutsu similar to JKD where interpretation is varied. Unable to be verified.)
    -Training under Sensei Carl Galey and Ruriko Masutani Sensei (confirmed both are members of the Association For the Martial Arts and likely trained Davis)

Master Jeff Davis has trained in various forms of Kung-Fu and Chinese Weaponry with such great instructors as Sifu Terry McLain, Sifu Tim Hairston, Sifu Charlie Brown, Sifu Brendan Lai, Sifu Tom Turcotte, Grand Master Daniel K. Pai and even the late Mr. Bruce Lee. He has trained in various forms of Karate, Kobujutsu (weaponry), Iaido & Kenjutsu (Japanese Swordsmanship) with such prominent instructors as Renshi George Papandreas, Shihan Oscar D. Alicea, Mike Farrell Sensei, Shihan Tony Farrell, Sam D. Pearson Sensei, Hanshi John Hamilton, Grand Master Ted Vollrath (also training in handicapped instruction methods), and Soke [Grand Master] Glenn R. Premru.
    -Training in various forms of Kung-fu and Chinese weaponry (plausible)
    -Trained under Sifu Terry McLain, Sifu Tim Hairston, Sifu Charlie Brown, Sifu Brendan Lai, Sifu Tom Turcotte, Grandmaster Daniel K. Pai, Mr. Bruce Lee (unable to be verified)
    -Training in various forms of karate (trained in Shorin-ryu and Gyaku-Nami-Do karate, thus making this statement true.), Kobujutsu (unable to be verified), Iaido & Kenjutsu (unable to be verified)
    -Trained with George Papandreas (owner and proprietor of http://www.ameurasiart.com/, previously on the Zoning Commission for the City of Morgantown WV), Shihan Oscar D Alicea, Sensei Mike Farrell (ASMA), Shihan Tony Farrell (9-dan Kyokushin-ha Karate), Sam D. Pearson (9-dan Watai Karate-jitsu, 9-dan Shorin-ryu Karate), John Hamilton (ASMA), Ted Vollrath (deceased, founder of Martial Arts for the Handicapbale a.k.a. Mr. No Legs), Glenn R. Premru (wanted felon, has his own Bullshido thread)

Some extra reading:
    http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5909
    Does anyone know Sensei Oscar Alicea? - Kyokushin4life
    Help Capture Glenn R. Premru, Black Belt Hall of Fame Member - No BS MMA and Martial Arts
    http://shorin-bushido.com/about.html

As an athlete, Master Davis was a National Level Competitor for 17 years. In 1976, he was ranked #3 as a fighter, by Chuck Norris and the United Fighting Arts Federation (UFAF), even though he was only fifteen years old, at the time. He fought Full-Contact Karate (PKA) for three years, and was the 1988 ASMA Black Belt National Champion in both Kata (forms) and Kumite (fighting).
    -National Level Competitor (sport nor organization stated, unable to be verified)
    -Ranked #3 Fighter in 1976 by Chuck Norris and United Fighting Arts Federation (shown to be false, the UFAF was not formed until 1979)
    -Fought in the PKA for three years (shown to be false, no record of Jeff Davis was found in the PKA)
    -1988 ASMA Black Belt National Champion; Kata, Kumite (ASMA has not been shown to be a national organization with a wealth of trained fighters able to compete at state, national, or Olympic level. Claims holds no weight)

In 1984, he started the Mountaineer Karate Classic Martial Arts Tournament, here in West Virginia, which eventually became the ASMA Nationals. The tournament has since been held in Florida. Now in semi-retirement from active competition, because of career ending injuries, suffered in 1989, Master Davis was told that he would never walk again, and nearly lost both of his legs. But after conducting his own rehab program, he competed only four months after the incident, winning the Black Belt Grand Championship Trophy in one of the toughest, and one of the last remaining "old-school" tournaments in the country, the Battle of the Carolinas.
    -1984: starts the MKCCMA tournament (no reference upon Google search, research pending)
    -1989: winning Black Belt Grand Championship Trophy in Battle of the Carolinas (pending research. Battle of the Carolinas is confirmed to have taken place at least in 1976. Source: Dec 1976 issue, Black Belt magazine: http://books.google.com/books?id=Q9Q...20arts&f=false

The last two paragraphs do not require research due to their being references to events and not necessarily martial arts training/teaching/practice.

Sorry about the text wall, everyone. There's some good stuff in there if you take some time to read it, though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 8:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread is now #1 when searching "jeff davis martial arts" in Google.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2010 2:41pm

Style: BJJ & MMA, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post
    A lot of the clubs in the West Virginia Martial Arts Association had to close down. The only one left from that group is a guy who teaches Escrima/Kali (I think) and he runs private lessons out of Ground Zero now. The training area for WVMAA is now used by an Aikido group and some XMA-style group (The name escapes me at the moment.)
    Sup fellas. How do I not know you? lol.
    I'm one of the assistant instructors at GZ Morgantown. Your info there is a bit mishmashed. I'm the that teaches the Kali at GZ. My old Arnis instructor still trains people at the WVMAA. I think there's still Aikido and some KungFu there.

Anyhoo, yeh, if you wanna learn to beat ass, Dogtrainer, come to GZ. If you want to learn to dance and fight a compliant opponents, go to Davis's joint. We spar/ we roll every class. In my Kali class you spar every class. We mix DBMA with MMA and BJJ. You want a full boat of learning how to fight and defend yourself, come check us out ...any of you guys are welcome. Any of you. (goggle kali and morgantown wv OR ground zero and Morgantown WV))
    If you can't make it up to our place, check out MorgantownMartialArts. They're good folks.

In the Morgantown area, you can find what you want. I know alot of people are into more traditional stuff and are looking for less contact and such. Its here. White Eagle, Davis's place and WVMAA and the Caseys (9year old) Blackbelt Academy are here. But you can find legitimate hard-knocks kind of stuff too. As far as Karate, I think the Seidokan guys on High St are good. They stay pretty quiet.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    9/03/2010 3:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding Judo creds:

1.) I seriously doubt Davis has any rank from the Kodokan, because you have to actually go to the Kodokan and train there to get rank from them. And that isn't something you could do in a short period of time. If he had rank from any of the three national organizations in the USA (USA Judo, USJF, or USJA), it is possible he could have a Kodokan certificate through the US Kodokan Committee, but that would not really be rank issued by the Kodokan.

2.) To my knowledge, the AAU does not and never did issue Judo rank. Back when the AAU was the NGB for Judo (and all other Olympic sports), they did not issue rank, the USJF did. So claim"AAU" rank are very suspicious.

You will need to contact USA Judo, USJA, and USJF to verify his rank or if he has ever been registered as a member. You could do that for his supposed judo teacher as well.

Ben

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2010 6:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killbot View Post
    Sup fellas. How do I not know you? lol.
    I'm one of the assistant instructors at GZ Morgantown. Your info there is a bit mishmashed. I'm the that teaches the Kali at GZ. My old Arnis instructor still trains people at the WVMAA. I think there's still Aikido and some KungFu there.

Anyhoo, yeh, if you wanna learn to beat ass, Dogtrainer, come to GZ. If you want to learn to dance and fight a compliant opponents, go to Davis's joint. We spar/ we roll every class. In my Kali class you spar every class. We mix DBMA with MMA and BJJ. You want a full boat of learning how to fight and defend yourself, come check us out ...any of you guys are welcome. Any of you. (goggle kali and morgantown wv OR ground zero and Morgantown WV))
    If you can't make it up to our place, check out MorgantownMartialArts. They're good folks.

In the Morgantown area, you can find what you want. I know alot of people are into more traditional stuff and are looking for less contact and such. Its here. White Eagle, Davis's place and WVMAA and the Caseys (9year old) Blackbelt Academy are here. But you can find legitimate hard-knocks kind of stuff too. As far as Karate, I think the Seidokan guys on High St are good. They stay pretty quiet.
    Hey, guy!

Yeah, sorry about the little bits of misinformation there. I was under the impression the kung fu group moved out and I heard from Patrick about the Arnis stuff, but I wasn't sure about Kali.

The kendo club is actually getting space over at WVMAA, so that's pretty kickass.

I probably mentioned it before, but I wholeheartedly endorse Ground Zero. When I get my cash in order, I will be training there for the foreseeable future.

Regarding Mr. Davis and Mr. Thorner's judo issues, I've received a reply back from the Kodokan and the rep asked me for Davis' full birthdate to verify his membership. He also stated Mr. Davis should still have his membership card.

If any of you fellows from Jeff Davis' school have seen it, let me know.

Also, Eugene/Gene Thorner couldn't have been AAU tri-state champion. Pennsylvania and Ohio are split into two districts and those districts are connected to other states. This has been so since the beginning of the organization in the early 1900s.

P.S.
    http://www.fightteam.net/MMA-SCHOOL/...f-Martial-Arts

False. Entirely false.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/03/2010 11:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have e-mailed Mr. Davis and invited him to read this thread because I have run out of leads to pursue without going to the source.

My e-mail included a request for his Kodokan membership card, the dates of his PKA fights, and any additional information he could provide on Eugene/Gene Thorner and the Association for the Martial Arts.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 1:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BmanWV1971 View Post
    I am one of Jeff Davis blackbelts. if you doubt the validity of his teachings, then just go away. Noone will miss you. I have trained with Sensei Davis, as well as his instructors for most of my life; and I know for a fact that his martial arts are the real deal. If you would like to contact me personally for confirmation, feel free.

brianloughry@msn.com

Step Up.
    youre brian loughry right? that guy who claims a lot, has a lot of ego, never works out, offends people with his mouth but never backs it up? the one we only see at jeff davis's parties where you are usually grabbing all the free drinks and getting as drunk as you can? the one who smokes and got sick on the floor once when a judo instructor visited and put you through warmups? that brian loughry?

you never appear at jeff davis school. if you were once a blackbelt you arent now. i know im not holding any rank, but theres no way i can respect you because i know youve never checked to see what davis is teaching works.

all i wanted to know when i started this was if jeff davis was all he said he was. he isnt. he lied and exaggerated to everyone in that school to make himself seem cool. i did learn a lot there and im happy with what i have. i just need to take it to another level and see what does and doesnt work and so far a lot doesnt. kitae ryu is something he made up or changed from something he got somewhere else and got it wrong.

im not clueless but i think you are. how can you come here and shoot off your mouth when you dont even practice anywhere? i have a right to question and if you dont believe that then you are delusional.

jeff davis's personal phone number is XXXXXXXXXX. i would like to see his actual qualifications myself even though it doesnt matter anymore.

i dont think that jeff davis has trained with anyone but gene thorner. he will say he has but i have never seen him go anywhere or do anything except go to a clinic with kyoshi ron lindsey and davis showed up drunk and never got on the floor at all.

i was told by a black belt who used to be a davis's school that kempo was his idea of pai lum. i saw kitae ryu change names at least twice while there and all it ever did was get simpler and weaker in form but we never got to fight. how can he claim to teach a martial art without letting the people test themselves? i heard davis once say that sparring is a waste of time and i find that totally wrong. what does he expect people to do in a fight get into a horse stance and throw gutless blocks and punches?

i don't need to talk or deal with you at all loughry. if you are going to "step up" as an example of jeff davis's school, then thats all that needs to be said. when i read what you posted here and then saw you backing up when helmut addressed you i was amazed. i never thought about you because you are never around except to drink. but coming here and getting all blustery when you cant back it up was something you did to yourself and davis. you know youd never show up to work out with anyone.

edited to take out jeff davis's phone number. i was angry at loughry and when i calmed down i didnt think it was right to put it up here on the internet.
    Last edited by Dogtrainer; 9/07/2010 1:24pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/07/2010 1:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As an aside, Mr. Loughry nor Mr. Davis have contacted me again about furthering the investigation.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/09/2010 8:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i need to apologize to brian loughry. ive had a couple of days to cool off and i dont want to come off like a pissed off little kid about this. i would like to keep this about jeff davis and notthosearound him.

brian i apologize for what i said earlier. some of what i said is stuff i heard about you without verifying but some is what ive seen. dont get it wrong i dont respect you because ive beenaround you enough to know that but i said some wrong things and im sorry for that. but dont think that because i am apologizing that you get to order me around.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/13/2010 3:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will be going to Mr. Davis' school today and possibly throughout the week to make observations for the report.

I'll let you all know what happened later on.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast