Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2010 2:24pm

Style: In transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't have enough posts for me to PM you about it, but if this counts as a derail, mods move pl0x.

There's still a fencing club and there's also a kendo club (I joined and I train with them when I get time).

There are three MMA gyms, two of which are fairly new. Blackhawk MMA, Morgantown MMA, and Ground Zero Fighting Systems. Blackhawk is a joke full of butthurt assholes. I talked with some of the fellas at Morgantown MMA and while they seem like fun blokes, they tend to represent themselves as being more professional and organized than they actually are. Ground Zero does BJJ, boxing and some Muay Thai, but the BJJ is the real draw.

White Eagle Martial Arts moved from the Mall next to the WalMart (it closed down, too. It's near to the Dunham's Sports) and now they're located on the upper floor of the Gymnastics Gymnasium. The Goju-ryu karate guys are still around (I should know.) and an ATA dojang opened up just down the street from the Coliseum a few years ago.

A lot of the clubs in the West Virginia Martial Arts Association had to close down. The only one left from that group is a guy who teaches Escrima/Kali (I think) and he runs private lessons out of Ground Zero now. The training area for WVMAA is now used by an Aikido group and some XMA-style group (The name escapes me at the moment.)

If that helps.

Posted On:
    8/29/2010 7:54pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Taken from http://www.tsksma.com/instructor2.htm:

As an athlete, Master Davis was a National Level Competitor for 17 years. In 1976, he was ranked #3 as a fighter, by Chuck Norris and the United Fighting Arts Federation (UFAF), even though he was only fifteen years old, at the time.
    Chuck Norris established the UFAF in 1979. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...rts_Federation

Also from http://www.tsksma.com/instructor2.htm:

He fought Full-Contact Karate (PKA) for three years
    I e-mailed the PKA directly at http://www.pkakickboxing.tv/contact.html and asked if they have any records of a Jeff Davis, to which they replied they do not. However, they also said that without any details of the fights he supposedly entered, it is nearly impossible to verify.

Just my 2.0

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2010 8:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's also claims of judo rank which I have yet to investigate, but if there are egregious amounts of inconsistencies regarding facts of Mr. Davis' martial arts background, I will write the report on it.

edit: VanZandt, your link has a colon on the end, so it doesn't work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2010 8:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was intrigued by the quick piece of information that I decided to examine some of the other claims made by Mr. Davis.

His grandmaster "E.F. Thorner" is in fact Gene Thorner.
    http://www.shorikandojo.com/document...9;s%20Page.htm

As you can see, the information given seems to be almost exactly the same.

Quote Originally Posted by TSKSMA site
    He began training in Judo when he was 8 years-old under the direction of Grand Master E. F. Thorner from Okinawa, Japan, a three-time national Judo champion (AAU)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shodai Gene Thorner's page
    Master Gene Thorner began his Martial Arts training when he was six years old, training in Judo with his younger brother and father at the Naha Police Dojo in Okinawa, Japan. His study of Karate began at the age of 11, under the direction of 10th Dan Grand Master Shuguro Nakazato in Makiminato, Okinawa. Before leaving Okinawa, Shodai Thorner earned the ranks of Sho Dan (1st Degree Black Belt) in both Shorin-Ryu Karate and Kobujutsu (weaponry) under Shuguro Nakazato Sensei; and Sho Dan rankings in both Judo and Aikido from Sgt. Jesus Varella.

Shodai Thorner came to America in 1967, and in 1969, began training under Soke Glenn R. Premru (Head of the Okinawan Karate Federation and successor to Hohan Soken Sensei, the Grand Master of Matsumura Seito Shorin-Ryu), earning the rank of Ku Dan (9th Degree Black Belt) from Soke Premru. Also during this time, Shodai Thorner began training in Pai-Lum Kung-Fu under the direction of Grand Master Daniel K. Pai, and was accepted as one of Lung Pai’s original ten disciples. Master Thorner is also an original member of the Master’s World of Karate & Kung-Fu World Tour, which was produced by Soke Premru & featured Master Pai and Master Ted Vollrath.

Now living in Lakeland, Florida, Shodai Thorner is the Grand Master of Gyaku-Nami-Do Karate, six-time W.Va. AAU Judo State Champion, Tri-state Judo Champion (Ohio, Pa and WV), a two-time National Judo Champion and is the Chairman of the Board for the Association of the Schools of the Martial Arts (ASMA). Shodai Thorner also help create KICK/usa, an organization devoted to Youth in Martial Arts competition, and has always served as the Head Arbitrator for the KICK Nationals, held every year at Disney’s Wild World of Sports. He is no longer active with that orgainization.
    edit: Contacting the Kodokan about Davis' membership and the AAU about Mr. Thorner's statistics.
    Last edited by helmutlvx; 8/29/2010 8:37pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2010 9:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When examining this statement made by Mr. Davis:

and was the 1988 ASMA Black Belt National Champion in both Kata (forms) and Kumite (fighting).
    I came across this group, the "Association of the Martial Arts":
    http://www.asma-usa.org/

Upon this page is listed one "Shodai Gene Thorner" and stated there was a recent gathering at Camp Muffly here in West Virginia.

I'm not able to take screenshots as far as I know (Damn you, Mac!) so if somebody else could, I would appreciate it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/29/2010 9:21pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Nagondzog, Bujinkan, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Goju-Ryu is the school on High St? Many folks I know in and out of the MA groups I know have always spoke highly of that School.

I greatly appreciate the information you have shared. I dont know I had realized that the White Eagle School had been at the 'old mall.' really at all. Last I remember it was over in Westover near a bar named Bogies (?)

My apologies for the derail from Davis, but I also greatly appreciate the information and perspective on the Morgantown area. The name Davis just seems very familiar to me.. I will ask a few of the folks I know. I dont know that I can get there for a lesson anytime in the realistic future..and I dont know that I'd be qualified to judge his work even if I did.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/29/2010 9:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, on High St. next to the Gibbie's Bar. We've got a Cold Stone Creamery nearby too.

As far as the information, it doesn't inconvenience me at all. I like training and getting chummy with the other local martial arts people.

As far as where this "investigation" seems to be headed, if Mr. Davis is not a genuine martial artist, I want him the **** out of my town. Or at the very least keep this thread at #2 right underneath his website.

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 4:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post
    There's also claims of judo rank which I have yet to investigate, but if there are egregious amounts of inconsistencies regarding facts of Mr. Davis' martial arts background, I will write the report on it.

edit: VanZandt, your link has a colon on the end, so it doesn't work.
    Apologies. Couldn't find the edit button on my previous message, so here is the link without the colon for those who don't want to type the URL into their address bar manually:

http://www.tsksma.com/instructor2.htm

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 6:36pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by helmutlvx View Post
    When examining this statement made by Mr. Davis:

I came across this group, the "Association of the Martial Arts":
    http://www.asma-usa.org/

Upon this page is listed one "Shodai Gene Thorner" and stated there was a recent gathering at Camp Muffly here in West Virginia.

I'm not able to take screenshots as far as I know (Damn you, Mac!) so if somebody else could, I would appreciate it.
    Glad to be of help, then.

Look at the pdfs, in particular.
    very probably that this is YABF (Yet Another Belt Factory).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	U2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	11304  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unbenannt.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	56.5 KB 
ID:	11305  

Promotion application.pdf  

Helmutlvx.pdf  

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/30/2010 7:00pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks a lot, Pilgrim. Saved to my harddrive for a backup

I haven't received any e-mails back from the Kodokan or the AAU, but I'm going to give it a few more days since they must have a lot to get through.
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast