Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 2:30am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    man, i really think i should do judo. sounds pretty fun...

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 4:34am

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, thanks for this thread. I've also found myself getting into ukiwaza/yoko-otoshi lately, I didn't realize it was just a short-cut. I suppose I'd better get back to work on those hip throws.

Just curious, when *is* a good time to work on sacrifice throws? They are useful, and I'm sure they won't always just be good from surprising someone, right?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 8:14am

Style: Judo n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vegamanx7 View Post
    man, i really think i should do judo. Sounds pretty fun...
    one of us! One of us! One of us!

Silent Guardian

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 8:33am

Business Class Supporting Member
     Gladiators Academy Lafayette, LA Style: Judo, MMA, White Trash JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OK just to clear it up sutemi waza is not a short cut or cheating they are viable throws. If you are consistently using them in randori then you need to be doing something else to develop your Judo into a better weapon.

Deashi to taiotoshi
    Deashi to uchimata
    Deashi to nidan kosoto
    Deashi to kibisu gaeshi
    Judo is only gentle for the guy on top.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 8:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    Wow, thanks for this thread. I've also found myself getting into ukiwaza/yoko-otoshi lately, I didn't realize it was just a short-cut. I suppose I'd better get back to work on those hip throws.

Just curious, when *is* a good time to work on sacrifice throws? They are useful, and I'm sure they won't always just be good from surprising someone, right?
    Sacrifice throws are perfectly fine, as long as tori is allowing uke to fall safely (don't slam them down on their heads/necks/collarbones!). I over-reacted to OP because it sounded on my first read-through like he had taught himself to just fall to the mat and get his opponents to stumble over him. I overlooked that he was building a combination to setup for and complete uki waza.

When you are able to safely execute any throw with kuzushi and with good control of uke, it's a good throw!

That being said, becoming reliant on any one throw or combo is limiting, and restricting yourself purely to counters, to sacrifices, or to any other situational throw puts your ability to do judo squarely in the hands of your opponent - you can't throw until they move just right. I suggest it is optimal to learn to seek out opportunities in uke's every step, to play judo aggressively (not necessarily competetively) and just keep trying to throw. You'll miss a lot, and get to practice a lot of ukemi. You'll also become quite diverse this way, and will be less easy to predict as you start working out your timing, kuzushi and entries.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 8:56am

Style: Judofitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got injured last month by a visiting, competitive green belt who would just fling himself to the ground holding on me for dear life. After some tries, he um, "threw" me with something like a shitty yoko otoshi, right on my (already bum) shoulder, driving it on the ground with all his weight.

Still my fault, being more experienced I should've 1) been more "awake" during randori, whereas I was just lazily countering, and 2) rolled out of it more actively. I just had never met somebody who would do sutemi all over the place like that.

It's a good example on why sutemi are considered "advanced" stuff, not only because you'll get countered, but also because you're supposed to be in control while executing them... and that's where they're seen as shortcuts by some.

Lesson learned for me. The poor guy was mortified, too.

A proper sutemi setup with kuzushi and in a combo is something else. Props to the chainmail armored OP.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234