Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... Last
    Style
    Cardio
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Ju jutsu rank question

Just out of general ignorance, what rank/authority is needed to promote somebody to 6th dan in said art in England?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    None..

Because there's no real regulatory body..

There's a lot of self professed "governing bodies" and an equally large number of groups/associations/fuckwits teaching all manor of stuff.

Some of that is legit, most of it isn't.

The simple rule of thumb which works in 99% of the cases here in the UK....

If someone is teaching "Japanese Ju Jutsu" (and I assume you were referring to the Japanese form, from the nature of the rank you mentioned) then it should have some direct Koryu (old school) connection/lineage, if it isn't (or doesn't) then the vast majority of what you're looking at is made up/hybrid stuff and before you consider studying it, take a long hard look at who's teaching it, and their background(s).

Ok... why do you ask ?
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Style
    Cardio
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the reply.

I ask because at my last grading the senior instructors awarded a 4th dan rank to one of the visiting sensei. His art was Shotokan Karate and our senior instructors are ex x-kan peeps and BBD peeps with no (as far as my own inquiries have shown) real rank in Shotokan.

I got to thinking that if they could just randomly do this then whats to say they didn't just inflate their own ranks? This has been puzzling me for some time.

Style
    Cardio
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plus when I (and 2 other students) have asked things like what sort of ju jutsu are we doing here and what was your old assoc./club, the question has been evaded or just ignored.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All sounds like a group of circle-jerkers to me mate..

I've seen that behaviour myself where, one senior instructor from one art gives another senior instructor of another art a top grade.

That's all classical bullshit, and stuff to stay away from

~Ella Wheeler

Style
    Cardio
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It did peek my suspicians but i quite like the chaps there so was trying to edge around the issue a little bit so its not another 'noob screaming bullshido' post. Shame is, i'm sure they hold 'legit' rank in something but no one is too forth coming with what though. For all i know i could be a ninjer! lol

Style
    Limalama, Judo & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats nickjutsu you just got a whiff of what bullshido smells like. Sorry its from your own school.

Style
    Cardio
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thought my first taste would be something along the lines of "a friend of a mates sister told me..." . Picture my dismay. lol. School website is in my noob intro post, feel free to have a butchers.

many thanks one and all

nick

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let me put it to you another way..

Does it make any sense at all for an instructor not training in a particular art.. in this case Shotokan Karate-do to award a middle senior grade in that art ? No.

additionally ...

I would have to SERIOUSLY question the motives and integrity of a person receiving the Yondan from an instructor not associated with Shotakan.

There's no merit in the certificate awarded because it hasn't been earned from within his peers and seniors of the art being studied.

~Ella Wheeler

Style
    Limalama, Judo & BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't feel to bad. My first tracher was a TKD guy posing as a JKD guy and a con man. He screwed a lot of students out of money (he convinced one woman to pay for classes for her kid 3 years in advance!) and left me holding the bag.

Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... Last