Administrator

Posted On:
    7/23/2010 1:53pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimDesu View Post
    Yeah. Anyway I'm sorry with polluting the replies. My YiQuan instructor (whom I'll neither name nor ever study from again) did things one way, and my brother's instructor (Kevin Menard via Kenny Gong) generates power differently and I don't understand the relationships between methods. The way I was (mis?)taught was straight up the cliff to get power first with hundreds of hours of zhang zhuang and absolutely no application instruction (that was for his indoor students only), so I'm completely bass ackwards from the rest of the world on that. I appreciate the nicer replies, but we're screwing the original poster's thread on my account and I'd strongly prefer to keep to his topic if that's OK. I promise I'll be quiet if we can give him his thread back. :)

(and I'm leaving for a long weekend and won't see any replies anyway)
    Not polluting learning. Fajing is Fajing. There are thousands of ways to "deliver" fajing. Chen Tai Chi is a good example of shoulder striking using fajing.
    Somewhere along the line Fajing became a technique in the sense that a side kick is a technique. This isn't entirely right. When you learn how to generate fajing, any style you are practicing uses this "technique." SO, let's say you study Xingyi, the power generation you learn creeps into any other striking style you practice. It was one of those things you should be learning from jump.

No, what we will do is give you your own thread. I studied with a guy from Kenny Gong lineage. Closed door? Really? ANy school that teaches differently closed door to open student is full of ****.

Closed door has been bastardized by Western society. It isn't about teaching things wrong or backwards, it is about a different level of training.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/24/2010 5:52pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To me, the hallmark of good taiji is less about applying tremendous force and more about applying the exact right amount of force, so it seems weird to me that so many people seem to focus on how a particular master can push them back so far.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/24/2010 6:01pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's how it has been advertised for decades. I'd argue we are closing in on half a century.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456