Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 6:49pm

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    Next time, when he grips your fist, yank it back and punch him with your other hand. Sifus love when you do that; it shows initiative. He might make you a disciple!
    I wish I had the imagination to think of that at the time. Maybe it would have changed the outcome.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 6:55pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    I'm quoting you because I'm replying to you. Unfortunately, this customization of vBulletin does not have proper conversation threading, therefore it's not always apparent who you're replying to or why. I find quoting helps alleviate this conundrum, but of course it's not always ideal.

For instance, right now you think I'm quoting you because I'm disagreeing with you when, in fact, I'm really just trying to let you know I'm replying to you. I'm actually in agreement with you. It's a trick based on physics.
    No, I'm asking you to clarify your point. You added a list in reply to me. In that post you said "but" which means their was a reason to your list. You know I agree with what you are saying BUT.....

So, I wanted you to explain your point.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 7:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn. That's exactly what happened.

I was trying to best him by trying to surprise him and give him no clues, so I tried not to make any sudden movements. Of course, that's probably why I got rocked so hard too.
    You weren't grounded in a stance and you took your own balance away from yourself.

Not to be a smart ass but seriously like I said earlier ... you weren't punching properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 7:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    No, I'm asking you to clarify your point. You added a list in reply to me. In that post you said "but" which means their was a reason to your list. You know I agree with what you are saying BUT.....

So, I wanted you to explain your point.
    Here's my point: it only worked due to that specific scenario. I can't imagine an opponent volunteering his fist like that in a real match. Of course, anything's possible.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 7:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backfistmonkey View Post
    You weren't grounded in a stance and you took your own balance away from yourself.

Not to be a smart ass but seriously like I said earlier ... you weren't punching properly.
    No offense taken. To add an addendum to what you were saying, I was probably not punching properly before I got my opportunity to actually deliver.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 7:19pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn. That's exactly what happened.

I was trying to best him by trying to surprise him and give him no clues, so I tried not to make any sudden movements. Of course, that's probably why I got rocked so hard too.
    He's touching you it is telegraphed. Body movement expression, tensing, breathing, there are so many things you can't control when you try these things. I mean if you tried to hit him with your other hand he will feel your body shift and do something similar to you.

As BFM said it is a way to change and set your gravity. Once he holds your fist, you are set in a very specific position and can only punch one of two ways. You either punch with the hand he has grabbed or the other hand.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 7/20/2010 7:33pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 7:25pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's my point: it only worked due to that specific scenario. I can't imagine an opponent volunteering his fist like that in a real match. Of course, anything's possible.
    That is a pretty shallow point, IMO... I mean, think about it. You came here and asked a question regarding the dynamics of a technique that your teacher used against you. You then resolved that you had figured out the dynamic without too much effort. In the course of doing so, you used what I think you saw as witty sarcasm to further your position... Now, you have resolved to opine that it was all obvious from the beginning.

Here's MY Point: Maybe you should have asked your Sifu in the first place. You make it sound like he demonstrated a technique on you without explaining anything to you. -or- You are possibly too arrogant to admit when you have been wrong to the extent that you would rather not ask the person you should be asking in the first place. Maybe that was HIS point.

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 7:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The main point is that it's a trick. The next question is "why is he trying to trick me?" The answer is so that you will think he has OMG teh super powers and spend time and money following him around. I remember seeing Aikido demos where the "master" was pwning four or five "attackers" (the attackers being his students who would run full tilt into a wrist grab before launching themselves head over heels) and thinking that was the ultimate demonstration of martial prowess. If it looks like magic, it's usually ****.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 8:10pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I didn't want to go that far. Here is my question what did he do after he did this trick?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 9:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Sifu's main point was that a "gentle" power is able to overcome a "hard" power easily if the circumstance allows. I know this because that's what he told me. He proved this point by merely pushing me over and making me fly 5 feet.

Now of course it's a trick but just because its a trick doesn't mean I can't learn something from it.

Dissecting this whole thing, I've got an answer to the "Why" and "How".

Why: Because he was able to telegraph everything when I gave him my fist.

How: He threw me off completely off balance which required almost no strength.

I'd still like to know what hit me, but I'm satisfied with the simple explanation that Physics is what hit me.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast