222191 Bullies, 3683 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 53
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. atomicpoet is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    876

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 5:25pm


     Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    What the hell happened?!

    Two days ago, my Taijiquan instructor gripped my fist gently, then told me to try to punch him. Just when I tensed up and summoned all my strength to hit him, he pushed me and I flew 5 feet backwards onto a (thankfully) padded surface.

    Whatever he did was quite powerful, but he used very little muscle strength. I'm still trying to figure out what he actually did, and I'm hoping maybe someone here would shed some enlightenment.
  2. BackFistMonkey is offline
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar

    Actual Photo

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    8,285

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 5:30pm

    supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't punch properly, he exploited that.

    Without video I can only guess as to the mistake you made and what he capitalized on.

    Maybe someone else will know right off the bat what exactly went down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
  3. atomicpoet is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    876

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 5:35pm


     Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backfistmonkey View Post
    You don't punch properly, he exploited that.

    Without video I can only guess as to the mistake you made and what he capitalized on.

    Maybe someone else will know right off the bat what exactly went down.
    The thing is, I actually didn't get to punch him. The moment I was about to let things loose, he pushed me. He must have known what I was about to do when he felt my muscles tense. That's the only explanation I have for the whole thing.
  4. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,785

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 5:44pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Every person thinks they don't telegraph what they do. If you have trained long enough you learn to exploit these tricks. When they do these tricks, unscripted, non-compliant, in a competition or sparring environment I will sing their praises.


    Until then, it is Physics and can be explained if we had video.
  5. BackFistMonkey is offline
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar

    Actual Photo

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    8,285

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 5:49pm

    supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    The thing is, I actually didn't get to punch him. The moment I was about to let things loose, he pushed me. He must have known what I was about to do when he felt my muscles tense. That's the only explanation I have for the whole thing.
    You some how rocked your center of gravity back as you loaded your punch and your feet were together. Other wise you would have just stepped back when he pushed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
  6. atomicpoet is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    876

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 5:53pm


     Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Every person thinks they don't telegraph what they do. If you have trained long enough you learn to exploit these tricks. When they do these tricks, unscripted, non-compliant, in a competition or sparring environment I will sing their praises.


    Until then, it is Physics and can be explained if we had video.
    It was a neat trick, but a couple things stand out to me about the situation:

    1) I let him grip my fist before I tried punching him
    2) My entire frame was tense right before I attempted to punch him
    3) He probably knew I was tense
    4) He pushed my fist which probably caused a chain reaction

    If I knew what he was going to do before he actually did it, I would have asked someone to film it. But I'm still nursing some soreness, and I don't think I want to try it anytime soon.

    When I'm feeling particularly masochistic, though, I'll ask for a retry with a video.
  7. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    33,785

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 5:59pm

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure what your point is in quoting me?

    It is still a trick based on physics.
  8. atomicpoet is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    876

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 6:02pm


     Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Backfistmonkey View Post
    You some how rocked your center of gravity back as you loaded your punch and your feet were together. Other wise you would have just stepped back when he pushed.
    Damn. That's exactly what happened.

    I was trying to best him by trying to surprise him and give him no clues, so I tried not to make any sudden movements. Of course, that's probably why I got rocked so hard too.
  9. atomicpoet is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    876

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 6:10pm


     Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    .

    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I'm not sure what your point is in quoting me?

    It is still a trick based on physics.
    I'm quoting you because I'm replying to you. Unfortunately, this customization of vBulletin does not have proper conversation threading, therefore it's not always apparent who you're replying to or why. I find quoting helps alleviate this conundrum, but of course it's not always ideal.

    For instance, right now you think I'm quoting you because I'm disagreeing with you when, in fact, I'm really just trying to let you know I'm replying to you. I'm actually in agreement with you. It's a trick based on physics.
  10. Rivington is offline
    Rivington's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    East Bay, CA
    Posts
    4,733

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 6:42pm

    supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Next time, when he grips your fist, yank it back and punch him with your other hand. Sifus love when you do that; it shows initiative. He might make you a disciple!
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.