Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 3:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Euclides Pereira, the Greatest Vale Tudo Fighter?

Just heard about this guy, and couldn't find anything on the site about him.

Justin Wren, from TUF10, trained with him and vouches for the extraordinary claims.

Source: http://tinyurl.com/24feyug
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Wren
    Euclides Pereira... The Blonde Devil. A Luta-Livre (No-Gi) fighter from the Northeast part of Brazil who had one of, if not the greatest Vale Tudo career in the history of Brazil having over 380 wins with no defeats. This man fought Carlson Gracie, Zulu, Waldemar Santana, and Ivan Gomez along with many other greats from his time. Now I know what your thinking; The same thing I thought... "What a bunch of BOLOGNE." For me it is almost impossible for me to grasp fighting in the hundreds, even more so never suffering a defeat. I heard of this man through my agent (a stand up guy, a family man, 100% honest) when I was planning some training down in Miami. He told me there is this 69 year old man who literally submitted a 6 foot 4, 240lb guy and he wouldn't have believed it unless he saw it with his own two eyes. Told me that he is this legend from Brazil, hardly anyone knows about him, blah blah blah. This was the first and only time I have ever doubted what my agent had to say.

No way was I believing it... How come I have never heard of this guy? I had obviously heard of Carlson Gracie, I had seen fights of Zulu, I had heard of Ivan Gomez and Waldemar Santana (Santana defeated the late & great Helio Gracie)... Now why wouldn't I have heard of Euclides Pereira? I HAVE NO CLUE why I haven't heard of this guy! I have no clue why 99.9% of you guys have not heard of him either and that his legacy was almost dropped from the history books. One thing I sincerely know is that he is the real deal. Not only from training with him now for over a week. Not only because I have gotten to know him while we are staying at the same house while I am in Miami training. Mainly because I have seen legitimate proof. I have seen hundreds, I repeat, HUNDREDS of newspaper clippings from his fights. Pre-hype clippings of Helio Gracie saying how "Euclides will be lucky to last 30 seconds with Carlson" along with the rules the Gracies and Euclides agreed upon prefight. I saw pictures and headlines of him defeating Carlson and Carlson looking battered and broken. I saw a BEAUTIFUL body kick that Euclides landed on Zulu during their fight. I saw clipping after clipping after clipping in ONE of Euclides several scrapbooks that opened my eyes to a piece of MMA history that I have never known about.

For the next TWO hours we traded techniques, mainly him teaching me. He adds things to submissions you would never think of. Some of it are some little dirty tricks he learned throughout his career to make the submission quicker, and add to the pain lol. None of it is illegal at all, but just had a "mean" factor to it that I learned in wrestling but that seems to be missing from sport jiu-jitsu. Little tricks that in a fight are gonna set up the RNC faster and not have to fight the hands so hard, or little ways to finish a guillotine in half the time, things that are like... "Why in the heck haven't I thought of or done this before?" Listening to this man I would feel like I was listening to a Rocky Marciano, a Dan Gable, or a Cael Sanderson... Somone that had been to the top, someone who was something great, who accomplished what 99.9% of people never will.

I have heard of many people he fought... Almost always he was outweighed in his fights, and Euclides ALWAYS found a way to win. He fought a man called "King Kong" and could rip coconuts apart with his bare hands, and dwarfed him... he won, lol. Not that size matters, but I think things like that show how this guy is the true definition of a fighter. He was on a weekly Vale Tudo show that was for SIX years and he fought EVERY week. His career was from the early 60's till 1985. I think that he really is one of the best fighters in HISTORY, and I hope this opens some peoples eyes to a legend of our sport, the best sport in the world.
    YouTube- HL Euclides Pereira

Does anyone have a way of verifying these old Brazilian newspaper articles? Or have some way to transcribe/translate them?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 3:52pm

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't see the video from work, but they did a Kruck's Corner on him on Inside MMA last week. Still moves pretty well for a 79 year old guy.

http://www.hd.net/insidemma.html
    Last edited by Craig Jenkins; 7/20/2010 3:57pm at .

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 7:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Amazing.
    Euclides is really a living legend.
    Unfortunately, even here in Brazil, few people know that warrior.

Today, It may appear that no one could achieve a card like that.

However, at that time (mid 50s, 60s, 70s), no hold barred fights were happening LIVE, WEEKLY, at "Heróis do Ringue" (Ring´ Heroes), a TV broadcast show. A fighter could, easily, dispute 30, 40 bouts a year.

Thumbs up!

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 7:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo,MT,Boxing,BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    fabiao, is there any way you'd be able to access copies of the newspaper articles on Pereira? Putting them on the web would be a great look into MMA's long history in Brazil.

Posted On:
    7/21/2010 8:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Conde Koma View Post
    fabiao, is there any way you'd be able to access copies of the newspaper articles on Pereira? Putting them on the web would be a great look into MMA's long history in Brazil.
    I'll send an email to a person who is close to Euclides.
    Actually, they live very very far away my place.
    Let´s see what we can get.