228356 Bullies, 4481 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 12
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. judoist is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    0.5 inches from the screen
    Posts
    466

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 2:19pm


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Getting the other guy's back...

    Specifically, I am talking about the standing phase. When sparring in Judo, I have trouble getting behind the other guy, to perform a ko soto gari. The other guys in my club are really athletic and skilled, so if they don't stop me getting around them by brute force, they slam me down, one way or the other. Does any judoka here have a solution to my problem? Anything to keep them distracted for long enough to avoid them? If you are a judo competitor, please post about your favourite setups to the kosotogari. Advice from Greco Roman guys is also welcome. Thanks in advance.
  2. BackFistMonkey is offline
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar

    Actual Photo

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    8,285

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 2:29pm

    supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    Specifically, I am talking about the standing phase. When sparring in Judo, I have trouble getting behind the other guy, to perform a ko soto gari. The other guys in my club are really athletic and skilled, so if they don't stop me getting around them by brute force, they slam me down, one way or the other. Does any judoka here have a solution to my problem? Anything to keep them distracted for long enough to avoid them? If you are a judo competitor, please post about your favourite setups to the kosotogari. Advice from Greco Roman guys is also welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Taking the back? I wasn't aware you should be getting "behind" you opponent with the Ko soto gari .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
  3. BackFistMonkey is offline
    BackFistMonkey's Avatar

    Actual Photo

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    8,285

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 2:35pm

    supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These guys get as far "behind" as I have seen in a live setting. Each time they are capitalizing and exploiting their opponents bad positions .

    YouTube- ko soto gari
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994
  4. oplus is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    119

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 2:43pm


     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't it nearly impossible to take someone's back? And if you did, wouldn't you just ura nage the poor bloke?
  5. Zapruder is offline
    Zapruder's Avatar

    Middleweight

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Marcos, Tx
    Posts
    2,354

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 3:40pm

    supporting member
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.
  6. MMAMickey is offline
    MMAMickey's Avatar

    POWERRR!

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,743

    Posted On:
    7/21/2010 5:23am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a bad habit that turned out ok for me is to encourage them to take a high grip and then just scoop under the arm and take their back.. I wouldn't recommend it because eventually I'll probably get slammed but that is probably one of the easiest ways
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

  7. judoka_uk is offline
    judoka_uk's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,619

    Posted On:
    7/21/2010 5:46am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If right handed catch their left sleeve with your right hand, then secure the sleeve with both hands. Release the sleeve with your right hand and with your left pull their sleeve across their body and down towards the floor.

    Now throw your right hand and grip them in your desired position on their back. Use your back and sleeve grip to pull them in close to you and then perform Ko soto gari.
  8. Rids is offline

    Featherweight

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    QLD
    Posts
    61

    Posted On:
    7/24/2010 4:23am

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait until they come in for something like harai goshi then use ko soto gari to counter.
  9. maofas is offline
    maofas's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,975

    Posted On:
    7/25/2010 10:59am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I'm retarded, but I don't get what taking someone's back has to do with kosoto.

    Most of the time I "take" someone's back in Judo it just sort-of happens as a result of both of us jockeying for position for a hip throw. If I give up the hip battle, I like tani otoshi from a body-lock best from this position, as it seems pretty easy/fairly low skill to pull off, but I'm not really qualified to give advice IMO.
    Last edited by maofas; 7/25/2010 11:15am at .
  10. judoka_uk is offline
    judoka_uk's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,619

    Posted On:
    7/25/2010 12:05pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Maybe I'm retarded, but I don't get what taking someone's back has to do with kosoto.

    Most of the time I "take" someone's back in Judo it just sort-of happens as a result of both of us jockeying for position for a hip throw. If I give up the hip battle, I like tani otoshi from a body-lock best from this position, as it seems pretty easy/fairly low skill to pull off, but I'm not really qualified to give advice IMO.
    I understood the question to be how to obtain a grip on uke's back. Taking the back with a wrestling style bodylock is slightly less common in Judo than achieving a grip on the back.

    Ko soto gari with a grip on the back is pretty common:

    YouTube- Kosoto Gari by Suzuki Keiji

    YouTube- ko soto gari
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.