Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 2:19pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Getting the other guy's back...

Specifically, I am talking about the standing phase. When sparring in Judo, I have trouble getting behind the other guy, to perform a ko soto gari. The other guys in my club are really athletic and skilled, so if they don't stop me getting around them by brute force, they slam me down, one way or the other. Does any judoka here have a solution to my problem? Anything to keep them distracted for long enough to avoid them? If you are a judo competitor, please post about your favourite setups to the kosotogari. Advice from Greco Roman guys is also welcome. Thanks in advance.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 2:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    Specifically, I am talking about the standing phase. When sparring in Judo, I have trouble getting behind the other guy, to perform a ko soto gari. The other guys in my club are really athletic and skilled, so if they don't stop me getting around them by brute force, they slam me down, one way or the other. Does any judoka here have a solution to my problem? Anything to keep them distracted for long enough to avoid them? If you are a judo competitor, please post about your favourite setups to the kosotogari. Advice from Greco Roman guys is also welcome. Thanks in advance.
    Taking the back? I wasn't aware you should be getting "behind" you opponent with the Ko soto gari .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 2:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These guys get as far "behind" as I have seen in a live setting. Each time they are capitalizing and exploiting their opponents bad positions .

YouTube- ko soto gari
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 2:43pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Isn't it nearly impossible to take someone's back? And if you did, wouldn't you just ura nage the poor bloke?

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 3:40pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OnceLost View Post
    Actually, I don't do it because I don't want people to be scammed - I do it because I enjoy kicking down the doors of Lies and Deceit and then forcibly fucking Fraud with the dildo of Truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    I don't care if they gave it to him because, he tickles butterfly butt-holes while wearing a pink frock.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/21/2010 5:23am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a bad habit that turned out ok for me is to encourage them to take a high grip and then just scoop under the arm and take their back.. I wouldn't recommend it because eventually I'll probably get slammed but that is probably one of the easiest ways
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    7/21/2010 5:46am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If right handed catch their left sleeve with your right hand, then secure the sleeve with both hands. Release the sleeve with your right hand and with your left pull their sleeve across their body and down towards the floor.

Now throw your right hand and grip them in your desired position on their back. Use your back and sleeve grip to pull them in close to you and then perform Ko soto gari.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/24/2010 4:23am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait until they come in for something like harai goshi then use ko soto gari to counter.

Posted On:
    7/25/2010 10:59am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I'm retarded, but I don't get what taking someone's back has to do with kosoto.

Most of the time I "take" someone's back in Judo it just sort-of happens as a result of both of us jockeying for position for a hip throw. If I give up the hip battle, I like tani otoshi from a body-lock best from this position, as it seems pretty easy/fairly low skill to pull off, but I'm not really qualified to give advice IMO.
    Last edited by maofas; 7/25/2010 11:15am at .

Posted On:
    7/25/2010 12:05pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Maybe I'm retarded, but I don't get what taking someone's back has to do with kosoto.

Most of the time I "take" someone's back in Judo it just sort-of happens as a result of both of us jockeying for position for a hip throw. If I give up the hip battle, I like tani otoshi from a body-lock best from this position, as it seems pretty easy/fairly low skill to pull off, but I'm not really qualified to give advice IMO.
    I understood the question to be how to obtain a grip on uke's back. Taking the back with a wrestling style bodylock is slightly less common in Judo than achieving a grip on the back.

Ko soto gari with a grip on the back is pretty common:

YouTube- Kosoto Gari by Suzuki Keiji

YouTube- ko soto gari
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast