Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 2:17am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    I love this video! Of course, it ironically validates a need for grappling skills & weapon arm control over most anything else.
    Both individuals in the clip have won non FMA grappling tournaments, and Sayoc is rooted in grappling with wrestling, BJJ, and other grappling arts practiced by our instructors.

Do you have a video clip of your training?

Share with the class.
    Last edited by Sun_Helmets; 3/02/2011 2:45am at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 2:39am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This video answers some training rig principles:

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 2:42am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    It's no trouble, really.

& is there some reason why I shouldn't "associate" with Python? just because he doesn't see much value in what you do? That's silly.
    He also doesn't see much value in what you illegally download.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 2:49am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayoc_Guro View Post
    Jumping in to the discussion late but am I correct in thinking the 2 major objections to Sayoc are perceived cost and lack of sparring?

As some of the videos that others have posted, Sayoc does use sparring as a tool to train. However, it is not the final goal of training.

As far as cost, I'm not sure what it's being compared to? Other martial arts styles? Other FMA's? Fitness programs such as Crossfit or gym memberships?
    We can tell from their posts what limited level of training they do and have.
    So we'll just have to amuse ourselves with how witty they think they are.
    Not much else to offer us really, even their questions are stale cut and paste jobs..

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 3:02am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilboy76 View Post
    If one trains with sparring as the end result, one ends up with a sport mentality. While sparring is a valuable element of combatives training, it can't be the "real thing." ...

I have to second BayaniWarrior's experience: In Sayoc and Atienza Kali, the blade ends up being a tool that's used to teach; the application of the lesson learned goes beyond just the force-on-force encounter.

Good point.
    Unfortunately, sports mentality training is stuck in one piece of the puzzle. They do not have access to training that is based on real combatives.
    They think they are doing great at solving the "reality" of knife attacks but they don't even train what happens two seconds before the attack, they have no formulas to recognize these because they believe reality starts with knives in hand and in a duel scenario.
    Add five more thugs in the "duel", add low light and all that goes out the window.

It's like thinking one is a great swimmer at a kiddie pool.
    Great! They've now focused all their training at being the best kiddie pool freestyler.
    Now see how that works in the ocean.
    They look at the training rigs, the template training and it all seems confusing to them because they have no context beyond the sport aspects.
    Last edited by Sun_Helmets; 3/02/2011 3:05am at .

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 5:31am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun_Helmets View Post
    He also doesn't see much value in what you illegally download.
    That's Great!

Both individuals in the clip have won non FMA grappling tournaments, and Sayoc is rooted in grappling with wrestling, BJJ, and other grappling arts practiced by our instructors.
    Wait, Sayoc Kali is "rooted in grappling with wrestling, BJJ, and other grappling arts"?
    Well, why didn't you say so?

Do you have a video clip of your training?

Share with the class.
    go to YouTube and search for "Judo". & I'm not allowed to post video of my Silat&Pukulan class, though you could purchase some Pencak Silat Ratu Adil (Rudy Terlinden) videos online somewhere, that'd give you a rough idea.

There's a little of Guru Rudy's vids in these vids (& what looks like some serah or maybe cimande in black&white)

& my instructor Ray is in this vid (he's one of the guys doing two-man drills, the other guy's Reggie Pieters*RIP*)

& there's some Ron Balicki in there too, obviously
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 3/02/2011 5:36am at .
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 9:31am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We can tell from their posts what limited level of training they do and have.
    Oh, how precious!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 10:45am

Style: fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This video answers some training rig principles:

i'm confused. is the training rig a replica of a daily carry rig that sayoc practitioners use? following the advice in the video, it seems more applicable to buy or make a replica of the knife or knives you carry regularly, and carry them in the way that you do. if i carry a folder in my right hip pocket, wouldn't it make the more sense to get a training folder and practice drawing it from my pocket, rather than drawing a fixed blade from a rig?

tim

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 12:14pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_stl View Post
    i'm confused. is the training rig a replica of a daily carry rig that sayoc practitioners use? following the advice in the video, it seems more applicable to buy or make a replica of the knife or knives you carry regularly, and carry them in the way that you do. if i carry a folder in my right hip pocket, wouldn't it make the more sense to get a training folder and practice drawing it from my pocket, rather than drawing a fixed blade from a rig?

tim

Exactly......how many people you know carry a fixed blade or two or three over a folder. The RIG is a ridiculous idea and they MAKE these guys buy them for training and they cost over three hundred bucks...

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 1:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    Exactly......how many people you know carry a fixed blade or two or three over a folder. The RIG is a ridiculous idea and they MAKE these guys buy them for training and they cost over three hundred bucks...
    Wait, the rig ITSELF cost +$300, or the rig plus the pile of aluminum trainers you fill it with? Considering how much good aluminum trainers cost, the metal alone is going to be a few hundred bucks at least.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast