Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude View Post
    Damn! You beat me to it!
    Gotta love the internet.

(I'm just glad all that Sayoc & Atienza Kali stuff is available for free download)
    So you go to the trouble of pirating training dvds, but then associate yourself with someone bashing what you download.

AWESOME!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 3:24pm

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilboy76 View Post
    If one trains with sparring as the end result, one ends up with a sport mentality. While sparring is a valuable element of combatives training, it can't be the "real thing." In Sayoc and Atienza Kali, my experience is that sparring is done with a purpose in mind. It's all part of the training evolution, not the end result we're trying to reach (there's nothing wrong with the sport mentality: I enjoy watching UFC as much as the next guy).

Sparring without that purpose in mind doesn't develop any skills; it just becomes an attributes game, not a skill game. Something that claims to be combative though needs to move beyond sparring to something else.

Sparring is not emphasized for people new to either system. Someone who's spent a few hundred dollars has probably attended a few seminars, which means they've probably got a lot of information and less opportunity to apply it. It also seems like that's in the ballpark for lots of quality training opportunities out there, whether it's in FMA, BJJ, or firearms.

I have to second BayaniWarrior's experience: In Sayoc and Atienza Kali, the blade ends up being a tool that's used to teach; the application of the lesson learned goes beyond just the force-on-force encounter.
    What make sparring a sport? What is sparring with a purpose and what is this beyond sparring you mention?

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 4:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sun_Helmets View Post
    Gotta love the internet.

So you go to the trouble of pirating training dvds, but then associate yourself with someone bashing what you download.
    It's no trouble, really.

& is there some reason why I shouldn't "associate" with Python? just because he doesn't see much value in what you do? That's silly.
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 3/01/2011 4:47pm at .
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 5:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by spamurai13 View Post

(sayocs)
    I love this video! Of course, it ironically validates a need for grappling skills & weapon arm control over most anything else.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 8:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Sayoc Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jumping in to the discussion late but am I correct in thinking the 2 major objections to Sayoc are perceived cost and lack of sparring?

As some of the videos that others have posted, Sayoc does use sparring as a tool to train. However, it is not the final goal of training.

As far as cost, I'm not sure what it's being compared to? Other martial arts styles? Other FMA's? Fitness programs such as Crossfit or gym memberships?

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/01/2011 9:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I gotta say, this kind of stuff just blows my mind

& I gotta get one of these rigs! what's that run? $500, maybe $600 dollars?
    Name:  sayoc_jp_dan-300x278.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  28.1 KB

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 12:32am

Style: BJJ, Libre, Street Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Yeah I never understood the point with the usage of these "Rigs" ....who in the hell carries these many knives.......I could just see someone walking down the street wearing a rig with all these knives......man every cop would stop that person. It is ridiculous looking and does not make any sense plus most people carry folders not fixed blades.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 12:36am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Python View Post
    Yeah I never understood the point with the usage of these "Rigs" ....who in the hell carries these many knives.......I could just see someone walking down the street wearing a rig with all these knives......man every cop would stop that person. It is ridiculous looking and does not make any sense plus most people carry folders not fixed blades.
    Post-Apocalyptic Blade Kilt. Uh-oh, I feel another patent coming on...

Yeah, they talk about when they're playing, er, training:
    "Yeah, if you drop your blade or you're disarmed, just take out another blade, you don't have to recover the one you dropped..."

It's pretty funny.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 12:38am

Style: kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hi Jim Jude,

The clip is from Sama Sama 2008 DVD: the portion you've posted shows a series of techniques in a training scenario. Template work is just one level of training, as are DVDs.
    No amount of youtube clips or DVDs replace hands-on training with a licensed instructor though.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/02/2011 12:40am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilboy76 View Post
    Hi Jim Jude,

The clip is from Sama Sama 2008 DVD: the portion you've posted shows a series of techniques in a training scenario. Template work is just one level of training, as are DVDs.
    No amount of youtube clips or DVDs replace hands-on training with a licensed instructor though.
    That's great! :)

It's nice to know that there is more to it than watching vids and stabbing unarmed guys who look like they just wanna chi sau....

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast