Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 2:04pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Shot for the first time

My wife and I took NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Course in NJ and it was most excellent. It gave us whole new perspective on firearms and while I can't speak for my wife but as for me...it was awesome. Gained whole new respect, understand the love affair, and more insight into marksmanship and firearms.

I was able to shoot about 50 rounds in three different types of round .22, 9mm, .40 on various pistols as part of the course. Overall it was extremely informative, learning, and eye opening experience.

So here's my question. My only experience with firearm was through this class and training. Taking that into consideration is it worth my money to continue taking these NRA courses or is that money better spent on acquiring an firearm and practice with them?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 2:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thought you got shot.

thread title misleading;dr

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 2:44pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am happy for your experience.

Ammo is expensive and just firing rounds off does not necessarily build skill.

I would recommend investing in more training at this stage of the game. Besides for NRA courses there are lots of firearms training institutes and qualified private instructors.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 2:45pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am happy for your experience.

Ammo is expensive and just firing rounds off does not necessarily build skill.

I would recommend investing in more training at this stage of the game. Besides for NRA courses there are lots of firearms training institutes and qualified private instructors.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 5:59pm

Style: Justice/Firearms

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was also expecting a very different story after reading the thread title.

Get some training and practice with different pistols and calibers before you commit to buying one. WR is right in that just sending lead down range isn't necessarily going to be a skill builder if you don't know what to correct when you are shooting poorly.

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 6:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're right by me. Throw me a PM.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 7:10pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my opinion marksmanship is like other martial arts, it requires training and constant practice. Also, starting with instruction is infinitely better than starting without.

With regard to getting one of your own, my firearms experience growing up was always a matter of "The right tool for the right job," and practice with the handgun or rifle followed the manner of task for which the firearm was intended (birds, snakes, deer, elk, rabbits, self defense, etc.).

I'm not an authority, but I would always recommend pursuing structured training at the beginning and seeking a personal firearm after developing an idea of what 'shooting' means to you (hobby, hunting, defense, military training, etc.) that will help you spend your money wisely and get the most out of your personal practice time.

Also, if you purchase a powerful rifle or handgun (for whatever purpose you had in mind) and later find that you have a tendency to put a vast amount of rounds downrange for practice, you may find it useful to procure a 'practice' firearm similar to your bigger piece but in a smaller caliber, such as .22LR. .22 is an excellent caliber for training, since the range and accuracy are very good, but the rounds are extremely cheap when compared to rounds like the .45 ACP or .357 Magnum. As an example, my little .22 Ruger Bearcat paid for itself in a matter of months as opposed to firing .357 Magnum at the same rate. ~Just a thought.
    Last edited by Mr. Loobner; 7/19/2010 7:14pm at . Reason: verb conjugation

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 9:13pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congratulations on popping your cherry. From this point, I'd suggest thinking about whether you feel comfortable with a weapon of your own yet. If you think you're ready to own one and commit to practicing regularly, go for it. WR is right to say that popping off rounds isn't going to make you any better at shooting, but if you start heading to the range regularly and practicing trigger control and grouping on paper you'll notice some results. You'll build motor skills that are important to all shooters and then you can choose to move on to more training if you want.

If it were me, I'd buy a pistol now and get a feel for it, practice dry fire with a snap cap, etc. Just IMHO, there isn't much point in taking a course and learning to handle a weapon if you don't plan on buying one. Plus many courses will require you to bring your own weapon and ammo, anyway.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 9:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GIburner View Post
    Thought you got shot.

thread title misleading;dr
    Man, me too. I was hoping for pics like in the broken toe thread...
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 10:29pm

Style: Yudo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry about the misleading thread title. Didn't realize it till after I posted it. I guess I was too excited.

As for purpose of the firearm, it'd be purely recreational and marksmanship thing but not to compete. Just to go to range fire off some shots and know that I practiced and trained hard enough to hit targets at certain distance fairly accurately.

I wanted to do research and get a feel for what my next optimal courses should be before I think about it to make a decision. Thanks for input everyone and I appreciate any more you guys can give me.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast