223580 Bullies, 4064 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 56
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. bigstu31s is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    478

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 4:33am


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by oplus View Post
    No. I basically had to unlearn two semesters of bad habits, and that basically cancelled out all the good habits I'd learned (few and far between, those habits). My friend and I started at the same time, and he had no experience. We both had trips, and by this point, I've trained for 3-4 weeks, him for 4-6ish, and when we decided to go all out (no time stoppage), he edged me out.

    Remember:
    People will not turtle for you.
    Do not turtle.
    No one's going to call matte if something stalls out.
    FUCKING DO NOT TURN ONTO YOUR STOMACH PERIOD. THIS WILL BE YOUR SCOURGE FOR AT LEAST HALF A MONTH. Or until you get okuri eri jime'd enough to figure it out. I still haven't.
    Cross collar'ing people in their guards/who have you mounted is now an even worse idea. Prepare to eat many, many arm bars.
    People will be easier to predict, insofar that they'll no longer do stupid things, so all they have left to do are smart ones. You, on the other hand, will do many, many stupid things...
    You know how your yudansha just absolutely dominate you while you're standing up and you feel like you have no control whatsoever over the situation? Prepare to get that from 90-95% of the BJJ practitioners there.

    At least, this is my experience. Maybe I'm just moar noob than are you.
    Its funny because i've never turtled up in Judo because I watch too much MMA and giving up your back is not a good idea in MMA. I have been told by my Judo coaches that I should turtle but as yet I dont think I ever have so I don't think it will be a problem.
    We do actually have a BJJ guy train at my Judo club, he's not yet a blue but I think he's pretty close as he's been doing BJJ a couple of years. What I found when I did newaza with him was that he was able to quickly pass my guard and also when he pulled guard he swept me quickly.

    In Judo I am rarely submitted even by the higher kyu's but what am I likely to be open to subs wise? Arm Bars?

    cheers
  2. PointyShinyBurn is online now
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar

    Gnarly King of Half-Guard

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,220

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 5:43am

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstu31s View Post
    In Judo I am rarely submitted even by the higher kyu's but what am I likely to be open to subs wise? Arm Bars?
    I catch a lot of people in triangles at my Judo club. Which is weird because I triangle people circa never at BJJ.
  3. maofas is offline
    maofas's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,975

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 7:09am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo tournament groundwork is a lot different, but I don't find regular practice rolling in Judo class to be that different compared to rolling with BJJers at their open mat, except that we are just less technical and more scrambley about it.

    The main differences I find are a) getting caught in guillotines which I'm not used to seeing in Judo b) sometimes getting caught in arm bars because I let my arms stray too far from my body (I try not to do it already in Judo, but you won't be punished for it every time the same way there).
  4. bigstu31s is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    478

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 7:43am


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    Judo tournament groundwork is a lot different, but I don't find regular practice rolling in Judo class to be that different compared to rolling with BJJers at their open mat, except that we are just less technical and more scrambley about it.

    The main differences I find are a) getting caught in guillotines which I'm not used to seeing in Judo b) sometimes getting caught in arm bars because I let my arms stray too far from my body (I try not to do it already in Judo, but you won't be punished for it every time the same way there).

    Ah yeah guillotines, I forgot about that one, never pleasant, looking forward to it nonetheless
  5. Kintanon is offline
    Kintanon's Avatar

    Yes, I am smarter than you are.

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Athens, Ga
    Posts
    5,683

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 10:00am

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In BJJ it's OK for people to crank your face around. In Judo ground work you can't put your forearm on the bridge of someones nose and grind it back to get your RNC, in BJJ you can.

    As for what subs you'll be open to? All of them. With only a few months of Judo you're essentially a complete BJJ noob. 110lb white belt girls will be subbing you with wristlocks if they want to for the first month or so.
    The important thing is DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.

    Your questions are all irrelevant. Just go to class, get your ass kicked and learn from it.
  6. bigstu31s is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Surrey, England
    Posts
    478

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 10:47am


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon View Post
    In BJJ it's OK for people to crank your face around. In Judo ground work you can't put your forearm on the bridge of someones nose and grind it back to get your RNC, in BJJ you can.

    As for what subs you'll be open to? All of them. With only a few months of Judo you're essentially a complete BJJ noob. 110lb white belt girls will be subbing you with wristlocks if they want to for the first month or so.
    The important thing is DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT.

    Your questions are all irrelevant. Just go to class, get your ass kicked and learn from it.
    Class is tomorrow evening so expect me to report back, providing I haven't been choked out by 110lb female white belt
  7. Blue Negation is offline

    Woke up in the mortuary

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,228

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 1:49pm


     Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstu31s View Post
    Class is tomorrow evening so expect me to report back, providing I haven't been choked out by 110lb female white belt
    Report back even if you do. It's not a big deal. In fact, it might even be a deliberate occurence - I and one of the head coaches at my BJJ gym used to have a couple of tiny white belt girls who we would test the mettle of newbies on. If you can't handle being armbarred and omoplata'd by people much smaller than you, BJJ might not be for you.

    Have fun!
  8. oplus is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    119

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 2:44pm


     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas View Post
    we [judoka] are just less technical and more scrambley about it.
    Seconding that. Also, I'm now also of the firm belief that low technique and high scrambliness (if that's not a word, I'll start a petition to change that) is a good way to eat just about every submission you can think of.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    As for what subs you'll be open to? All of them. With only a few months of Judo you're essentially a complete BJJ noob.
    Seconding this, too.

    btw, is there any way to automatically quote more than one person, or do I have to manually quote them after the first?
  9. BKR is offline
    BKR's Avatar

    My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Bonners Ferry, Idaho
    Posts
    4,290

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 2:57pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kintanon wrote:"Your questions are all irrelevant. Just go to class, get your ass kicked and learn from it."

    You should copyright this one, I'm still laughing!

    Totally agree. I often have to force myself to write anything other than something that expresses that sentiment.

    I've recently started going to BJJ class once a week, and after 30 years of Judo I get subbed.

    So all you judo noobs out there just go and take your medicine and top trying to "prepare" or figure out how to apply your "judo game" to BJJ practice. You don't have any Judo, and even if did, you are still going to get subbed. It's like getting thrown in randori, who gives a rat's ass as long as you learn something from it.

    Ben
  10. Kintanon is offline
    Kintanon's Avatar

    Yes, I am smarter than you are.

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Athens, Ga
    Posts
    5,683

    Posted On:
    7/20/2010 3:43pm

    supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And just to keep the BJJers from getting high and mighty about it, any one of us who steps into Judo Randori expecting anything EXCEPT an intensely personal conversation with the ground is just asking for the hurt.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.