Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 9:49am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judoka going to first BJJ lesson

I've been doing judo for the last 4 months but unfortunately the club is closed over the summer months until September so I have decided to try some BJJ for the next couple of months and in fact my first lesson is on Wednesday night. I've emailed the instructor at the BJJ club and his is totally cool about me just training for two months and said that I am welcome to train whenever I can afterwards even if that only means once a month.

As a Judoka and a noob one at that, what can i expect from my first BJJ lesson and will my Newaza skills learnt over the last 4 months be of any benefit?

Cheers

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 12:05pm

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Probably not. Most Judo schools have lackluster newaza as most BJJ schools have lackluster tachiwaza.

That said, you'll be a more complete grappler for this.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 12:19pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No. I basically had to unlearn two semesters of bad habits, and that basically cancelled out all the good habits I'd learned (few and far between, those habits). My friend and I started at the same time, and he had no experience. We both had trips, and by this point, I've trained for 3-4 weeks, him for 4-6ish, and when we decided to go all out (no time stoppage), he edged me out.

Remember:
    People will not turtle for you.
    Do not turtle.
    No one's going to call matte if something stalls out.
    FUCKING DO NOT TURN ONTO YOUR STOMACH PERIOD. THIS WILL BE YOUR SCOURGE FOR AT LEAST HALF A MONTH. Or until you get okuri eri jime'd enough to figure it out. I still haven't.
    Cross collar'ing people in their guards/who have you mounted is now an even worse idea. Prepare to eat many, many arm bars.
    People will be easier to predict, insofar that they'll no longer do stupid things, so all they have left to do are smart ones. You, on the other hand, will do many, many stupid things...
    You know how your yudansha just absolutely dominate you while you're standing up and you feel like you have no control whatsoever over the situation? Prepare to get that from 90-95% of the BJJ practitioners there.

At least, this is my experience. Maybe I'm just moar noob than are you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 12:24pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, and all those turtle turnovers you learned?...

I can't emphasize enough how different they are, it's almost as different as going into a striking art. I look back on videos of my judo ne waza and I cry a little.

I've heard this from both judoka and BJJ pract's (practioners->pract's(->prax?)): BJJ is like chess. In regards to shiai, perhaps a little too chesslike, but that might just be because judo ne waza is an all out scramble with very little technique at lower levels, whereas two guys with even a month of experience each will be playing a game of ground chess, albeit a shitty one.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 12:45pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not actually that different, just flow with the go.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 2:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You will do fine. And when you go back to judo your newaza will be better than most.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 4:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    After going to practice this morning and learning side control escapes, I'll amend my previous statement. Don't turn onto your stomach unless you have a specific technique that you've drilled that you plan to execute.

Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    just flow with the go
    If you don't have a copyright on that, expect me to steal it and use it frequently.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 5:00pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's copyright Rickson Gracie, by armbar.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 5:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstu31s View Post
    I've been doing judo for the last 4 months but unfortunately the club is closed over the summer months until September so I have decided to try some BJJ for the next couple of months and in fact my first lesson is on Wednesday night. I've emailed the instructor at the BJJ club and his is totally cool about me just training for two months and said that I am welcome to train whenever I can afterwards even if that only means once a month.

As a Judoka and a noob one at that, what can i expect from my first BJJ lesson and will my Newaza skills learnt over the last 4 months be of any benefit?

Cheers
    Same thing here in Serbia. No judo during the summer. Most of the guys here (including myself) do something during the summer months to improve their game. Since aikido is pretty much the only other grappling style apart from judo, we pump the iron, keep fit, and sometimes even have a little "judo throwdown". BJJ is known to be easier on the body than Judo, but it also tends to be easy to learn. Give it a go. If the BJJ teacher is cool with judo, even better. Good luck!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 6:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze View Post
    It's copyright Rickson Gracie, by armbar.
    Thought you were kidding until I googled that. ****, not messing with any Gracie. Wouldn't even try it with Helio, and the guy's dead. Hell, especially 'cause he's dead. I can't compress his arteries, and he has no connective tissue to tear.

This is assuming that he's already decomposed, or that he wasn't cremated, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by judoist
    BJJ is known to be easier on the body than Judo, but it also tends to be easy to learn
    It's definitely easier to notice your progress, yes. Is it really easier on the body, though? I get more blood on my gi during BJJ than during judo (I practice at different places, though), and I'm pretty worn out from both.
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast