Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 8:54am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Gumdo

What can you tell me about this martial art? Is it exactly like Kendo, but just Korean instead of Japanese? What is the belt system? At my dojang, you have to be a black belt in Taekwondo or Hapkido to start Gumdo, is this just a safety thing due to the swords, or is it really that complex?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 9:39am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol anybody?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 5:56pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Piranha X View Post
    What can you tell me about this martial art? Is it exactly like Kendo, but just Korean instead of Japanese? What is the belt system? At my dojang, you have to be a black belt in Taekwondo or Hapkido to start Gumdo, is this just a safety thing due to the swords, or is it really that complex?
    Gumdo is pretty much the Korean eqivalent of Kendo. it comes from Kenjutsu, and the Koreans don't hide that fact. However, they do seem to make a big deal out of the fact that unlike kendo, which uses one-on-one combat, Gumdo guys focus on one-versus-many, trade-their-one-cut-for-100-of-your-cuts, battlefied-style combat. Also, lots of "chi building". You get the picture. They have "sword methods": double-sword, two- and one-handed, Admiral's sword method, Japanese method... One of the funny things is that IN South Korea, Japanese kendo is more popular that domestic Gumdo! In fact, Kendo is the 2nd most popular sport in the country, after TKD o' coz. Gumdo is 4th or 5th. I read a while back on the Kendo-World forums that the younger kendoka from Korea refer to each other and themselves as "Samurai". :icon_roll
    Concerning the whole "only TKD black belts can take Gumdo" thing, I'm not sure if it's appropriate. Perhaps a minimum age limit would be more appropriate.

Yours fathfully,

Marko Georgevitch - "The Judoist"

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 6:01pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Up in the right corner is a search link. Put Gumdo in the box and enjoy all of the threads that appear.

History of Haidong Gumdo - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Quality of Haidong Gumdo - No BS MMA and Martial Arts
    Last edited by It is Fake; 7/19/2010 6:05pm at .

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 1:37pm

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are in a dojang that requires students to have X rank before starting "gumdo", then it is highly unlikely that you are learning mainstream kumdo, which is Japanese kendo with korean terminology, uniforms and modified etiquette. It is usually taught in by itself unassociated with TKD or whatever. It's possible but unlikely that you are learning hae dong gumdo, which is a mish-mash of various sword stuff that was put together for profit in the 80s or so (may have my chronology wrong). They will tell you it's based on ancient Korean stuff but it's basically BS. It is highly athletic though.

The most likely thing is that your dojang is doing it's own thing, for good or bad.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 3:48pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilG View Post
    If you are in a dojang that requires students to have X rank before starting "gumdo", then it is highly unlikely that you are learning mainstream kumdo, which is Japanese kendo with korean terminology, uniforms and modified etiquette. It is usually taught in by itself unassociated with TKD or whatever. It's possible but unlikely that you are learning hae dong gumdo, which is a mish-mash of various sword stuff that was put together for profit in the 80s or so (may have my chronology wrong). They will tell you it's based on ancient Korean stuff but it's basically BS. It is highly athletic though.

The most likely thing is that your dojang is doing it's own thing, for good or bad.
    The Gumdo my school offers is called "Koryo Gumdo", im pretty sure its legit since the teacher is the president of the World Taekwondo Federation in the U.S.

Posted On:
    7/21/2010 11:21am

Style: Kendo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to a little googling, koryu gumdo is the USNTKF variation of Haedong Gumdo, introduced in 1995. So if by "legit" you mean has some connection to real swordsmanship through historical lineage then no, not so much. HDG is athletic, showy and by all accounts a lot of fun but similar to Chinese wushu more about the sizzle than the steak. If it floats your boat, have at it. Just go in with open eyes.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 7:21am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    Gumdo is pretty much the Korean eqivalent of Kendo. it comes from Kenjutsu, and the Koreans don't hide that fact. However, they do seem to make a big deal out of the fact that unlike kendo, which uses one-on-one combat, Gumdo guys focus on one-versus-many, trade-their-one-cut-for-100-of-your-cuts, battlefied-style combat. Also, lots of "chi building". You get the picture. They have "sword methods": double-sword, two- and one-handed, Admiral's sword method, Japanese method... One of the funny things is that IN South Korea, Japanese kendo is more popular that domestic Gumdo! In fact, Kendo is the 2nd most popular sport in the country, after TKD o' coz. Gumdo is 4th or 5th. I read a while back on the Kendo-World forums that the younger kendoka from Korea refer to each other and themselves as "Samurai". :icon_roll
    Concerning the whole "only TKD black belts can take Gumdo" thing, I'm not sure if it's appropriate. Perhaps a minimum age limit would be more appropriate.

Yours fathfully,

Marko Georgevitch - "The Judoist"
    Uh, I don't know how true that is. Mainly the cultural bits. Unless Korea has changed drastically since my last visit there. I've basically never heard of the word Kendo being used. It is always Kumdo, whether it is the Japanese sport or another sword style. (they are the same word pronounced differently)