Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 4:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was that aimed at myself or the OP? Either way to be pro in one inevitably is mutually exclusive to the other however at the start I see no problem in using weights as conditioning/strengthening for the martial arts side of things

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 7:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pimpasauras-rex View Post
    Was that aimed at myself or the OP? Either way to be pro in one inevitably is mutually exclusive to the other however at the start I see no problem in using weights as conditioning/strengthening for the martial arts side of things
    it was aimed at you.

1)bodybuilding is NOT strength training.

2)the primary aim of bodybuilding is sarcoplasmic hypertrophy (increased muscular size). this is detrimental to a fighting sport in which the extra weight will push you out of your weight class, without the athletic benefits associated with strength training.

3)all fighters should do weights imo, but bodybuilding is something that no fighters should do unless you are a champ who has cleared out his weight division and decides to move up.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    8/01/2010 7:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know i came here ready to kind of defend what i'm doing however you really clarified it with that simple point differentiating strength training and bodybuilding. I was using bodybuilding as a blanket term for weights - the standard association of size and strength.

I actually spoke to my old PT today about some things including having a few sessions to go in to a strength building routine as opposed to a pure muscle building contest.

Long story short cheers for the clarification =)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12