Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 3:08pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, MT, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question about MA/weight training balance

I am starting training in BJJ/MT/MMA and had a question about training in these while also weight training.

My exercise schedule up to this point has been 6 days a week, cardio on all 6 days and weight training on every other day for 3 times a week with the primary goal of weight loss. The weight training was more of isolation types exercises (1st day, tris/chest/shoulders; 2nd day bis/back; 3rd day legs). I have made good progress with this regimen (260 to 220 pounds atm). After reading on this forum, you guys seem to like stronglifts so I have decided to start that regimen (started today actually, went pretty well).

My question is this, can I do my strong lifts routines (with 48 hours apart each time I do a routine, every other day) and in between those days do the MMA training? Or would that be unsafe?

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 3:28pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It probably won't be unsafe, but I can pretty much guarantee you that for your first month or so of MMA training you're going to be too exhausted to want to do much else in the way of training. I'd recommend taking about a 2 month break for weights while you get acclimated to the MMA classes, then start adding your weight training back in.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 7:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    try doing the weights and MMA training together, as depending on how much you're lifting you might be ok. If it gets too much you can try what I'm doing at the moment and do 2 3x5 workouts a week. Something like:

Day 1
    Deadlift 3x5
    Weighted dips 3x5
    Weighted pull ups 3x5

Day 2
    Squat 3x5
    Overhead press 3x5
    Weighted chin ups 3x5

.. I've been doing it myself for a couple of weeks and it fits with high volume MMA training quite well while still making quantifiable progress.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 10:17am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I will know by tomorrow if what you say applies to me Kintanon. I weight trained yesterday and will be doing the MA stuff tonight and tomorrow morning will be telling. If I do find that its too much, then I will try MMAMickeys suggestion.

Of course I will proceed with caution as not to injure myself.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 5:24pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nimby, where did you end up deciding to train?

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 2:49am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I should probably point out that Emevas was the one who suggested my current format..
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 7:07am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @golem, I am training at Martial Arts Unlimited in Clawson.

Also, it turns out that I can handle 2+ hours of martial arts training one night and still do my weight training the following day with no issues, although I am only in the beginner classes at this point.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    7/20/2010 9:51am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See how you feel about it after doing that for a couple of weeks. If you can keep it up without having to scale anything back that's awesome, but don't end up with an injury because you feel like you HAVE to stick to your full weight regimen along side starting a new sport.

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 1:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had been doing general gym work for about 8 months aimed at bodybuilding (though i was out of shape so i got in shape more then i got huge) then started Muay Thai. It was somewhat hard to maintain the same weights regime but now about a year later i'm looking to lift more seriously to keep myself big.

Just keep at it, don't get disheartened if it falters and as previously mentioned look after yourself first - better off with a tiny bit extra chub then an injury!

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/30/2010 2:39am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you have no business being a bodybuilder if you are serious about muay thai.

if however you are all for show, then go on right ahead.
    Spoiler:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast