Page 1 of 2 12 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Advice on new striking arts

I am going to take Eskrima, Gumdo, Capoeira, and Tai Chi within a few months. Any advice for a beginner at these martial arts? I have studied Taekwondo(WTF style), Hapkido and Shotokan Karate for years so I do not know what to expect from these arts. In the Gumdo class, students are required to already be a black belt in either Taekwondo, or Hapkido. I assume this is just a safety thing since it is sword fighting, or is it really that much more difficult? BTW, the reason i am sticking with striking arts is because I injured my leg recently so I grappling is out of the question for now. Any advice would be appreciated

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    any thoughts?

Style
    Muay Thai
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you have a hard on for ineffective arts or are you just more into the philosphy etc thing?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am choosing the less strenuous martial arts right now because I have an injured leg.

Style
    BJJ, wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Piranha X, you are a beginner to the arts you mentioned, and yet you chose to pose your question in the Advanced Striking forum? A forum that exists for members to pose specific questions about striking techniques.

I'll let you figure out for yourself why your thread was moved.

Style
    Boxing.MMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tai chi is not a striking art.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Style
    Boxing, Rowing Fu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hm, imo no art's really worth doing unless it is slightly strenuous. Either take a break or just try to take it easy during classes, but stick (pun intended) with something effective. Escrima's good as far as I know, not sure about gumdo...but if you're looking for effective striking without aggravating your injury, I'd say boxing was the way to go. Cheap and widely available, it is truly judo's more hitty cousin.

Stu xD

Style
    BJJ/Shidokan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For those of you that don't know Gumdo is Korean Kendo. It doens't really compare to most of the MAs you are thinking about.

Style
    Jacket wrestling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    5 arts. Are you planning on doing each one once a week?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    5 arts. Are you planning on doing each one once a week?
    No I mean at some point or another this year, I plan to try all of these arts, and whichever I like the most I will probably stick with.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last