She wouldn't have.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/21/2010 8:30pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right like she needs any more proof to show he is out of control. This would create more problems then the actual *snicker* concussion.

Posted On:
    7/21/2010 9:41pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right like she needs any more proof to show he is out of control. This would create more problems then the actual *snicker* concussion.
    Bull in a china shop, right here. I broke three keys just typing this reply.

Ninja Fruit

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 10:57am

Style: JKD, Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That probably seemed dickish, but I'm serious. If she's sincere about wanting to learn to fight and spar, and has no clue as to what caused her to get clocked, why not work with her again? Sounds like this chick is already blaming you for her facepunch, rather than her own suckass defense. Think she's going to learn anything from that other than "NeoSigma is a dick"?

Try something along the lines of "Hey, look - In our last session you got clocked because I felt like showing you a hole in your defense would be more effective than telling you about it. I hate that you got hurt, but I would still like to help you improve if you're open to it."

If she agrees, "paw" more than hit. Show her the holes, tell her about the holes, then exploit them without clobbering her. Or find her a partner that's better than her and make sure the partner does the same. Sometimes the only way to get stronger is to get shown your weaknesses demonstrably.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 12:02pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But the risk is her getting "hurt" again and then the gym and OP getting in some ****. **** that. she dug her own grave. Until she gets better and her attitude changes, evidenced by her behavior at the gym with other people, I recommend OP not to spar with her again.

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 4:04pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tao.jonez View Post
    That probably seemed dickish, but I'm serious. If she's sincere about wanting to learn to fight and spar, and has no clue as to what caused her to get clocked, why not work with her again? Sounds like this chick is already blaming you for her facepunch, rather than her own suckass defense. Think she's going to learn anything from that other than "NeoSigma is a dick"?

Try something along the lines of "Hey, look - In our last session you got clocked because I felt like showing you a hole in your defense would be more effective than telling you about it. I hate that you got hurt, but I would still like to help you improve if you're open to it."

If she agrees, "paw" more than hit. Show her the holes, tell her about the holes, then exploit them without clobbering her. Or find her a partner that's better than her and make sure the partner does the same. Sometimes the only way to get stronger is to get shown your weaknesses demonstrably.
    Well, here's the thing. Like I said, we know each other outside of the gym. Which, to her mind, means she doesn't have to listen to anything I say IN the gym. I actually made a topic about this a while ago, and the general consensus was that trying to work with friends was a bad idea, because unless they're paying you, they will never respect you as any kind of instruction.

And it isn't so much that she doesn't know where the problems are. For instance, Tuesday night, she was working with our coach, and had her feet planted in a straight line with her legs locked out like she had a pole up her ass. He told her at least five times "Listen, you need to fix your stance, or you're gonna get your legs taken out." All five times, she would go "oh, okay", and not fix it. He eventually shrugged and swept her with a leg kick, after which she was done for the night.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 5:08pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    Well, here's the thing. Like I said, we know each other outside of the gym. Which, to her mind, means she doesn't have to listen to anything I say IN the gym. I actually made a topic about this a while ago, and the general consensus was that trying to work with friends was a bad idea, because unless they're paying you, they will never respect you as any kind of instruction.
    Thank you I was just about to ask you if that was your thread.

And it isn't so much that she doesn't know where the problems are. For instance, Tuesday night, she was working with our coach, and had her feet planted in a straight line with her legs locked out like she had a pole up her ass. He told her at least five times "Listen, you need to fix your stance, or you're gonna get your legs taken out." All five times, she would go "oh, okay", and not fix it. He eventually shrugged and swept her with a leg kick, after which she was done for the night.
    I don't think he read the part where she has been this way for a few MONTHS. Even the most thick headed noob learns. There are some people who just can't learn. We had a guy who thought every sparring match was a fight. From the nicest most patient guy to the asshole he couldn't get it out of his head it is a learning process. WHile Tao's has a point with people who WANT to listen sometimes, it better for that person not to like you.

The impression I get, this is the student people roll their eyes at when she opens her mouth?

As to the sweep, yes, if she didn't get up and go "Oh **** I get it" and she quit for the night as a student I would be done.

Again, an instructor has a different responsibility.

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/22/2010 7:32pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like she isn't actually interested in learning how to fight or the art of muay thai. She just wants to go to a gym and burn calories
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123