Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/17/2010 6:31pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Helping beginners with sparring anxiety

We had two incidents today that I thought bore mentioning with the hope that some of you guys might have some help to offer. First, I was sparring with a girl for her first time(hubba hubba), and I noticed she tends to drop her hand to block leg kicks instead of checking. Okay, so I figure a little thump will tell her "Hey, check the kick" better than saying it out loud will. Feint the kick, and throw a cross with maybe...15 percent power or so, it probably wouldn't have even moved the heavy bag. It lands clean on her cheek, she crumbles in a heap and barfs on the mat while sobbing hysterically. So I made a girl cry to start the day. Great. Feeling like a big man.

Later, one of our younger guys was getting picked apart fairly easily in one of his rounds, and he appears to have a panic attack, looking really lost and hyperventilating until our coach pulled him out. I worked with him later, and he told me to just work on technique with him, and if he starts having any odd signs, immediately ratchet the intensity down and talk him through it. This was kind of odd because he's normally pretty laid back to the point of occasionally seeming high.

Anybody else had to deal with this? My first thought is "If you have a panic attack while sparring, muay thai may not be for you", but mostly I wonder if this is something that can be worked through or if these two are lost causes and just don't know it yet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2010 6:45pm

Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    We had two incidents today that I thought bore mentioning with the hope that some of you guys might have some help to offer. First, I was sparring with a girl for her first time(hubba hubba), and I noticed she tends to drop her hand to block leg kicks instead of checking. Okay, so I figure a little thump will tell her "Hey, check the kick" better than saying it out loud will. Feint the kick, and throw a cross with maybe...15 percent power or so, it probably wouldn't have even moved the heavy bag. It lands clean on her cheek, she crumbles in a heap and barfs on the mat while sobbing hysterically. So I made a girl cry to start the day. Great. Feeling like a big man.

Later, one of our younger guys was getting picked apart fairly easily in one of his rounds, and he appears to have a panic attack, looking really lost and hyperventilating until our coach pulled him out. I worked with him later, and he told me to just work on technique with him, and if he starts having any odd signs, immediately ratchet the intensity down and talk him through it. This was kind of odd because he's normally pretty laid back to the point of occasionally seeming high.

Anybody else had to deal with this? My first thought is "If you have a panic attack while sparring, muay thai may not be for you", but mostly I wonder if this is something that can be worked through or if these two are lost causes and just don't know it yet.
    You probably have a fair bit more experience than me,but my approach has always been to actually point out what the other person is doing wrong and then generally just briefly drill it with them. The girl?? i would have pointed out the prob,run a couple of quick on-the-spot type drills i.e feint and throw the punch to make sure shes doing the right thing,or maybe not feint so that she remembers and experiences checking properly. Second time?? verbal reminder,third time?? hit her. My 2c worth anyways.

Haven't had any experience with ppl having panic attacks,but if its anything like a noob spaz then talking and reminding them to calm the **** down,create some space,stop the spar briefly and realise that he probably needs to keep throwing himself into the situation otherwise hes never going to get over it. It might be some kind of self developement/confronting fear type thing going on for him,and its up to you how you feel about that.

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/17/2010 8:10pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We posted about this somewhere else but in the future and for all med - advanced strikers punch newbs in the FOREHEAD. It makes them aware that they are open and getting hit and it stops them from coming forward but it won't hurt them.

Posted On:
    7/17/2010 8:22pm

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the guy will be okay over time. I've had a panic attack when I was well used to sparring purely becouse I wasn't paying attention to my breathing and hyperventilated, it's retarded but isn't a drama with a bit more attention.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/17/2010 10:23pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my opinion you should always explain to a beginner what they are doing wrong. Noobs often react in totally unexpected ways to stress while they are just starting to spar.

Once someone is no longer new and has a handle on the fundamentals, then you can teach them by example.

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 8:17pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    We posted about this somewhere else but in the future and for all med - advanced strikers punch newbs in the FOREHEAD. It makes them aware that they are open and getting hit and it stops them from coming forward but it won't hurt them.
    Good point, wish I'd thought of it earlier. Still, I don't think I've ever seen that extreme of a "never been hit before" reaction.

You probably have a fair bit more experience than me,but my approach has always been to actually point out what the other person is doing wrong and then generally just briefly drill it with them. The girl?? i would have pointed out the prob,run a couple of quick on-the-spot type drills i.e feint and throw the punch to make sure shes doing the right thing,or maybe not feint so that she remembers and experiences checking properly. Second time?? verbal reminder,third time?? hit her. My 2c worth anyways.
    No, you and jnp are right, ordinarily I'd have told her hands up, check kicks, you'll break your arm, etc. But I've trained with this girl for a few months now. She's the kind of person who won't listen to anyone telling her something until she suddenly has a miraculous epiphany later on, and then comes and tells everyone about this amazing new thing she just figured out completely on her own, wondering why they're all smacking their foreheads. Of course, I guess this way didn't really work out all that well either...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 9:54pm

Style: Kickboxin & Shootfightin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neo Sigma View Post
    No, you and jnp are right, ordinarily I'd have told her hands up, check kicks, you'll break your arm, etc. But I've trained with this girl for a few months now. She's the kind of person who won't listen to anyone telling her something until she suddenly has a miraculous epiphany later on, and then comes and tells everyone about this amazing new thing she just figured out completely on her own, wondering why they're all smacking their foreheads. Of course, I guess this way didn't really work out all that well either...
    lol,ok,with a little more background on the girl i just laughed,sorry. I've been that person,we probably all have,and i've trained with that person too.Now?? i just try to shut my mouth and do what i'm told until it works for me,lol,or i have a legit question(which isn't that often). Hopefully the same will apply to her too?? Patience until she works it out?? Although the clip you gave her might have worked too.

Perhaps another approach might have been,"keep your hands up or i'm gonna punch you in the face" ..." POW!!"..."See!"...The point being that maybe she will understand that you might actually be able to offer good advice and to listen to what her training partners are telling her??

Has she returned?? i'm curious to know the result.

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 10:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    when I spar with new people I laugh joke and talk to them constantly. I feel it takes the edge off. It is like funniest home videos. It dosent really hurt if there is a Boing sound attached.
    Pat of the issue with being hit is the pain and damage and part is the psycological attack that you face by being agroed at.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 9:23am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gregaquaman View Post
    when I spar with new people I laugh joke and talk to them constantly. I feel it takes the edge off. It is like funniest home videos. It dosent really hurt if there is a Boing sound attached.
    Pat of the issue with being hit is the pain and damage and part is the psycological attack that you face by being agroed at.
    Even though we don't exactly laugh during sparring in my judo club, it's always good to take it easy on beginner while you spar with them. It takes a while to get a beginner to "open up" to you. I remember watching one of the brown belts spar with a noob for half an hour before the noob went for a throw. Remember that beginners tend to do what "seems" to be the best way to stop an attack from their sparring partners, and not what *is* the best thing to do.
    Last edited by judoist; 7/19/2010 9:24am at . Reason: Spelling mistake

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 9:53am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm the feel-at-ease-guy at every club where I train.
    The teachers pair me up with the noobs and the juniors so I can get them through the fundamentals of the art.

I'm someone who can explain a technique a zillion times without getting angry or frustated, talk about their wrongdoings jokingly/playfully, yet get the point across. Just make them feel at ease.

- In the beginning I explain it what the consequences are from dropping the guard.
    - remind them every time when they drop the guard
    - then pet them in the face (not hitting) while saying something like "thank you for helping me to score a point by dropping your fists" (just keep it playfull and they will stay at ease)
    - after a few classes the fists don't drop anymore and I can slowly augment the force after my strikes so that they get used to hit (over several classes)
    - When they now are hit in the face, they will shake it off, smile and proceed.
    - remember that 90% of people in a gym are recreational sporters, that want to go in shape, learn something to use as self-defense and have fun, so trying to steam them ready as if they were to compete in three months isn't the best approche.

This is something that comes with experience (I've been teaching in my old arts for years, adults and children) and something in your character (this can't be learned, you have it or you don't).
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast