Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2010 1:19pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Inosanto Background Guy About to Move to Boxing- Advice?

Well, quick background, I've done the normal Inosanto type training under James Stacy for almost two years, but as of next semester I won't be able to do night classes anymore due to work and school scheduling. Because of this I had to find somewhere with morning classes, and there is a Boxing gym down the street that fits my schedule. As don't want to get out of the habit of going to class on a regular basis, I already have a trial lesson set up this Monday at the place.

So I want to ask: any advice from people who have switched styles to Boxing? Or any advice about something that is unique to Boxing? Any info is appreciated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2010 3:35pm

Style: Working out

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you'll like it
    Its more intense and you learn a lot about yourself.
    The hardest change is going to be the stance and I've always had a problem with keeping my shoulders relax so if your old school didn't focus on that then get used to it.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    7/17/2010 3:55pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Always have a goal when you're training. Don't just mindlessly go through training day after day. 1 day, tell yourself "No matter what happens, I'm not letting my hands drop". Everything else might fall to the wayside, but you'll be able to accomplish that one goal. The next day, maybe your goal is to work more on your combinations, or your defense, or something.

This was big for me at least. I didn't get good at anything when I just went for it, but when I set a goal, I started to progres.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 3:56pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't tell them you've got a JKD background or any MA training at all: they'll use that as an excuse to hit you with extra fervor.

The excuse will be "Oh, he said he did karate so I thought he could hang." In actuality they just want the thrill of hitting a trained MA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 4:55pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both good points. Keeping your mouth shut about previous training is usually a good idea; when you talk about your previous stuff it tends to look like you've got an ego, and it makes it harder for you to become a part of your new group.

Emevas' advice is good for everyone. I think the difference between people who make real progress and people who just tag along is largely in the mindset of the people who are actively engaging and practicing something, rather than just following the class. It's the student equivalent of the difference between and instructor who is actually teaching, and one who is just counting cadence.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/18/2010 5:46pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not talking about your training also helps in the ring. If you're good at trapping, use it against 'em! This will certainly confuse them. When they ask you, play dumb: "I dunno where that block came from. Just... kinda out of nowhere." You get the picture.

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 7:13am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    Not talking about your training also helps in the ring. If you're good at trapping, use it against 'em! This will certainly confuse them. When they ask you, play dumb: "I dunno where that block came from. Just... kinda out of nowhere." You get the picture.
    wut? seriously?

I think you should listen to the guys who actually box (style field)

1)don't use 'trapping' until you are good at the fundamentals of boxing. seriously. good fundamentals are a necessity if you generally like being off your ass

2)you do NOT know better because you've done 'something similar before' or any other excuse. do as you're told and repeat it over and over again.

3)if something isn't working for you straight away, do NOT go back to your previous ma during sparring. very little will work for you in sparring the first time you use it, do as you're told and practice endless rounds of bag and shadows.

..throw in some testicular fortitude and you'll be made for life.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". - Cus D'Amato
    Spoiler:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/19/2010 2:10pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay so I just got back from it a little while ago. I told them about my former training (my old place was actually right down the street from them, a 5 minute walk at most), and they were totally cool with it. No one seemed out to get me, though I did do the light sparring round my friend. Then again if there is one thing I am good at (it certainly isn't fighting), its putting my ego to the side.

I gotta say I loved it though. Very intense workout; my cardio isn't what it used to be, but even then my old place wasn't as physically demanding as this place. The instructor was very impressed with my punching technique, and at one point when we were switching partners she even paired with a kid who had been there a couple lessons (there just happened to be a lot of new people in this morning's class) with no prior experience and asked me to help him out a little bit with punching.

Emevas, thanks for that advice. Like someone else said, that is good for anything, but I think that applies to boxing more because in other arts you spend so much time learning new techniques that the new stuff you learn should be the goal. With boxing, though, you only have to learn a few punches, so you can set other goals (like the ones you mentioned) to improve different areas of your boxing. I already know my first thing to focus on is going to be footwork, which is so bad it makes my other shitty skills look good by comparison.