228400 Bullies, 4268 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 1 to 10 of 45
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Auszi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    432

    Posted On:
    8/01/2011 7:52am


     Style: BJJ Beginner

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    What techniques should I NOT train for incorporating boxing with MT/MMA?

    Hey guys,

    I might have the chance to spar a little bit with some boxers, I used to box a little bit but it seems that boxing is getting some more respect for incorporating into MMA.

    I know there is a lot of techniques in boxing so I thought it would be easier to ask what NOT to do, so to not have bad habits when I train Muay Thai or MMA later. Ie stuff that might get me kicked in the head or leave me open.
  2. Azatdawn is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lower Franconia
    Posts
    977

    Posted On:
    8/01/2011 8:39am


     Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure how learning any boxing techniques properly would leave you at a disadvantage in MMA when you already have a good grappling base. For example, a mistake would be leaning forward a lot when bobbing/ weaving without your guard up, but that's not how you should learn it in boxing either. You should always have your hands up, not lean forward but rather use your knees and keep your eyes on your opponent.
  3. CrackFox is offline
    CrackFox's Avatar

    You have to work the look.

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bat Country
    Posts
    3,077

    Posted On:
    8/01/2011 8:52am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So what's your plan? Go take boxing lessons, but second guess everything the instructor tells you, in case it messes up your mma game?

    Personally, I'd either follow the instructions as given or find a different class.
  4. It is Fake is offline
    It is Fake's Avatar

    Administrator

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,013

    Posted On:
    8/01/2011 9:08am

    staff
     Style: xingyi

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^ Listen to your instructor and then your more experienced partners in that order.
  5. Auszi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    432

    Posted On:
    8/01/2011 9:13am


     Style: BJJ Beginner

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    So what's your plan? Go take boxing lessons, but second guess everything the instructor tells you, in case it messes up your mma game?

    Personally, I'd either follow the instructions as given or find a different class.
    I thought my post was pretty clear and where did I say I was getting lessons?

    Boxing is a full contact MA but no kicking, no takedowns. They don't train for those, they dont guard against them. I'm assuming there might be some things they do which create openings for your opponent, in MMA or MT. Why ingrain something into your memory that wont serve your training goals?

    People take things from all types of Martial arts even the shitty ones, and it doesn't mean all things are created equal.

    Boxing is tested, and obviously of value.If there are things I should watch out for great, if not fine. I ask because, I don't know.

    Is there anyone with some experience that has an opinion?
  6. Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs is offline
    Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs's Avatar

    fist first Philosopher

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Sanctuary of Pallas Athena (Belgium)
    Posts
    2,659

    Posted On:
    8/01/2011 9:35am

    Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    I thought my post was pretty clear and where did I say I was getting lessons?

    Boxing is a full contact MA but no kicking, no takedowns. They don't train for those, they dont guard against them. I'm assuming there might be some things they do which create openings for your opponent, in MMA or MT. Why ingrain something into your memory that wont serve your training goals?

    People take things from all types of Martial arts even the shitty ones, and it doesn't mean all things are created equal.

    Boxing is tested, and obviously of value.If there are things I should watch out for great, if not fine. I ask because, I don't know.

    Is there anyone with some experience that has an opinion?
    You train Boxing as in you learn the full scope of Boxing by training Boxing under the Boxing ruleset.
    It also is the same for Muay Thai, BJJ, Wrestling....you learn the full scope under their ruleset.

    AFTERWARDS (I have emphacized "afterwards"), you take MMA classes to learn to mix them into a mixture that suits best your abilities and the Mixed Martial Arts ruleset, but before you can do that you have to first know the full scope of each tool (MA style).
    There are no shortcuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:
  7. Auszi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    432

    Posted On:
    8/01/2011 10:07am


     Style: BJJ Beginner

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe I'm not being clear.

    There are strengths and weaknesses to most martial arts, but some are less bullshit that others. Thats why people cross train. I am not going to compete as a boxer, I would like to compete in maybe in the distant future in MMA.

    If you had a boxer and he was going into Muay Thai or even MMA, what things would you tell him to do and not to do, what would work from boxing and what would get him in trouble?

    Maybe I am wrong but, 10 years later after my first boxing lesson I still punch under pressure the same way I was taught the first time in boxing years ago, and It's ingrained, that first time you learn something is stuck in there. So if anyone can offer critical analysis fo the shortfalls and weakness of boxing alone in an MMA ruleset that would be great, why take on board something you will want to change later anyway.

    I know its dangerous but lets assume I am an adult and I'm not going to say to an instructor or training partner that 'I am not going to that because someone on bullshido said'
  8. lionknight is online now
    lionknight's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wa
    Posts
    1,177

    Posted On:
    8/01/2011 10:10am


     Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    Maybe I'm not being clear.

    There are strengths and weaknesses to most martial arts, but some are less bullshit that others. Thats why people cross train. I am not going to compete as a boxer, I would like to compete in maybe in the distant future in MMA.

    If you had a boxer and he was going into Muay Thai or even MMA, what things would you tell him to do and not to do, what would work from boxing and what would get him in trouble?

    Maybe I am wrong but, 10 years later after my first boxing lesson I still punch under pressure the same way I was taught the first time in boxing years ago, and It's ingrained, that first time you learn something is stuck in there. So if anyone can offer critical analysis fo the shortfalls and weakness of boxing alone in an MMA ruleset that would be great, why take on board something you will want to change later anyway.

    I know its dangerous but lets assume I am an adult and I'm not going to say to an instructor or training partner that 'I am not going to that because someone on bullshido said'
    Everyone here understands what you are saying. You are not "listening" to what they are "saying".
  9. Auszi is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    432

    Posted On:
    8/01/2011 10:19am


     Style: BJJ Beginner

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionknight View Post
    Everyone here understands what you are saying. You are not "listening" to what they are "saying".
    Thanks for adding nothing to conversation.

    So I guess the answer is boxing has no movements or techniques that will cause problems or holes when you crosstrain.

    Cheers for those for those who offered advice even if I wasn't clear or maybe didn't get it.
  10. CrackFox is offline
    CrackFox's Avatar

    You have to work the look.

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Bat Country
    Posts
    3,077

    Posted On:
    8/01/2011 10:22am

    supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Auszi View Post
    If you had a boxer and he was going into Muay Thai or even MMA, what things would you tell him to do and not to do, what would work from boxing and what would get him in trouble?
    problem is, you're not going into a muay Thai or mma match are you? You're going to be doing boxing sparing, and you plan on half arsing it.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.