Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2010 7:52am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hmm. I feel like I wasted my time but maybe I am mistaken and or maybe someone else might get something out of my lecture.

I said lurk more so that you can understand how things work around here because even if you read the rules you still may not get it. I knew about this site from long ago and knew my students were posting on here. From time to time I would peak in and think this is a dickhead factory borderline chaos. After looking at the rules especially the "dont be an asshole" part I wondered why have a rule you obviously are not enforcing? I would notice a ninja coming on the forums nice and cordial like to be greeted with a STFU and go kill yourself greeting. After having the time to read through things in there entirety I understood this process. This is Darwinís survival of the fittest. People will generally be polite if you are first polite (not following rules is impolite) and respect is earned. How? Just like in real life.

For you coming here and "looking in the window" you might have assumed you need this cocky attitude. Maybe you feel these guys are immediately going to insult you so you need to show them I am verbally tough. You got it all wrong. You set the tone in how you want people to treat you just as in real life. The part you have to adapt is written communication is very different than verbal. You can come across as someone you are not unknowingly and you might misinterpret others the same as well.

Consider this a house if you will and somehow you ignored the sign that says knock and introduce yourself, take off your shoes, make yourself at home and above all respect the rules. You ended up in the kitchen helping yourself to a sandwich and did not wash your plate. When told "hey buddy, wash your plate or leave" you respond with "well, I will do as a please and if you kick me out I will just come back in a disguise, dick".

Right now you are back on the front porch and warned about how to act when you come inside. If you want to ignore the request well then you must be the kind of person that puts their feet on a strangers coffee table and feel like its your God given right to do so. Donít be a dick just yet will ya.. give us time to know you are really a dick and not just playing one.

The different forums are like different rooms in a house and each has their own rules. Some you can't stray off topic at all and other you can flame each other. Learn the rules about the rooms. Again you on the front porch people will be nice to you. Keep your level of contempt up and you will be out back (trollshido) getting wooped on.

You noticed how Wing Chun is treated here. Why is the minority treated with such contempt here? The minority has a loose, maybe unjustified history of being associated with BS. When you talk of things with little evidence people will try to judge your claim based on what they observe and if its a common claim with often the same outcome it will initially get dismissed until proven otherwise. For example:

Woman claims Aliens from outer space are harvesting her crops, getting drunk and leaving a mess. When the cameras roll you see a picture of a woman in her 30's, no teeth, dirty clothes, and saying "Yep, dees dang Martians comin ohfer here in dem der U.M.eff.Oohh's and leaving budwiser cans all ohfer here. Its rikidlulous. Reporter "are you drunk ma'am?" Woman "know, know, I aint drunk... i no for a fact". How you come off to others is important if you expect to be taken seriously and in written text all you have going for your self is how you write so take the effort to not look like the example I painted for you.

Get some thick skin. Know what that means? Means dont let the small stuff bother you. When I argue with someone and they invoke the Wing Chun card to me its like saying "oh yeah, well your nose is big" It could be anything from playful teasing, a bit of anger, to plain frustration. Not every comment needs a response you have to look at the conversation as a whole.

Lastly, a wise mod (spell dude) told me that I set the tone on how people will respond to me. Its very true because even if the person I am debating does not see it other people wont dog pile because they will be more objective.

Have fun and maybe I will see you around (trollshido?)..

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/17/2010 8:10am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't say anything about which style because I don't see the point. Your assuming I joined WT to learn to fight.

I didn't.

I own a club. On any given night Thur - Sat. I have a minimum door count of 1200 people and sadly I average at least one altercation a week. Nothing to be proud of or brag about. My prevoius style (shuri ryu ) taught me plenty of ways to keep me on the better end of those fights. I never ever saw my teacher spar or fight. Now we did spar in class alot. A block or deflection is always gonna be a block or deflection. No matter if it's taught by a great fighter or great teacher. I'm the one who's gonna be using it. So it's up to me to use it correctly or in correctly.

If you guys are genuinely concerned about wether my instructor is ripping me off. That's great thanks for cariing and rest assured I would be able to spot a fraud pretty damn quick.. But I don't think your interested at all. So in the end it really doesn't matter what I say. Your gonna have your own opinion and wanna still stir shy up.

To me. When it comes to any MA. There are 2 types of people in this world. Those of us that fight. And those of us that learn to fight because were afraid. The people that are afraid will always be afraid no matter how much sparring or who there teacher is. The guys that fight can take 6 months worth of training and apply it instantly. You brought up math. My math teacher didn't give me the answer. He showed me how to solve the problem. I'll solve the problem on my own. I just need to method used

And please don't lump me into a " typical WC ". Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/17/2010 8:14am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spell guy. Please excuse the spell errors. I tried to fix them but my iPad won't scroll down on edit. My super smart forum adversary.

Your best buddy

Sean

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/17/2010 8:22am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My bad chainpunch. Didn't see your whole post. I was being genuine when I told you thanks. And I don't believe I started any of this. I was just posting a lil review and started a mess. Odd tho. The title is wing tsun San Antonio. But I'm thinking not one person who responded lives in San Antonio. In fact. I'll go one step further and say. Most if not all who posted already belong to school or have private instruction so there in no need of a school in San Antonio No. Most of these dudes just wander around looking to debate or mess with someone. In my world. Dudes like this are a dime a dozen. I see a hundred guys like that week. Most of the time there drunk or trying to impress a girl.

But don't get it twisted. I do understand were your coming from an do thank you for your advice.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2010 8:33am

Business Class Supporting Member
      Style: Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quanshuforum View Post
    My bad chainpunch. Didn't see your whole post. I was being genuine when I told you thanks. And I don't believe I started any of this. I was just posting a lil review and started a mess. Odd tho. The title is wing tsun San Antonio. But I'm thinking not one person who responded lives in San Antonio. In fact. I'll go one step further and say. Most if not all who posted already belong to school or have private instruction so there in no need of a school in San Antonio No. Most of these dudes just wander around looking to debate or mess with someone. In my world. Dudes like this are a dime a dozen. I see a hundred guys like that week. Most of the time there drunk or trying to impress a girl.

But don't get it twisted. I do understand were your coming from an do thank you for your advice.
    Well you seemed like a drunken poster before but I think you can be level headed. Take your time in forming opinions about others if you want them to return the favor. You can drop the "I dont care attitude" we all care to some degree and if thats the attitude you project it will be returned. Just look at the regulars here like a door man and understand a good door man will let you know when you are stepping out of bounds but he will also give respect to people that deserve it. Remember, Wing Chun will take a beating thatís a given and with time people will know whether to differentiate you from the generalization.

Posted On:
    7/17/2010 9:29am

Style: Kettles (MA hiatus).

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

It doesn't matter where anyone lives or where they train, you wrote an incredibly poor review in the review section, it was fair game for anyone to critisize. Anyway, chainpunch is right, hang about and get a feel for the place, it's well worth it. Also I'm pretty sure that there are a few guys around here that work the door and you may be able to trade tips at some point.

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/17/2010 9:46am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spell guy. Please excuse the spell errors. I tried to fix them but my iPad won't scroll down on edit. My super smart forum adversary.

Your best buddy

Sean
    Enjoy.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/17/2010 10:08am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to the site.

Wow, $120 a month. That's a nice coin. Thus far, from reading your posts you seem extremely intent on telling everyone how wrong they are about everything, which really isn't a good way to get started on the site.

What I would like to do is change direction and change the tone.

What is it about your new school that makes you think it is worth $120 a month. Now, within the framework of your explanation, I would like you to not rely on comparing or contrasting to what other schools charge. I would like for you to provide full value explanation of what your Sifu Parker gives for that price, not what the guy down the street provides.

Next, I would like for you to explain what brought you to the Chun school. What made you decide to chose it over the Kempo school you were looking at., price notwithstanding. What are the intrinsic and inherent values YOU see in what was the determining factor.

Next, what is your previous experience. If you address that subject, please forgive me, however there was much bluster I wished not to tread through. What have you trained before, where and for how long.

Next, how often do you train at the school and for how long. I see he OFFERS up to -X- of session for your fee, but how much of that do you take part in.

Thanks and welcome

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/17/2010 11:14am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First. A big difference between my door guys an me being as tho I sign there checks. Did I use ( there ) right. Probably not spell guy.

@ a snakepliskin. Great name by the way. When I first started in MA years ago. There wasn't bullshido or really any sites to look around on. So I saw a school. Went in an joined. I've always liked kenpo, but I wanted to try some sort of Kung Fu. I used the net to research as well as some boards and decided on Wt. Then before I even had chosen a school , I watched both Ip man movies. And yes. I no it's only a movie. But it was the deciding factor.

I based my pricing factor on what others were charging

I train 2 hours M- F in class an have a home training facility with bags and a dummy that I use at home. All the other schools but a 3 hour limit per week on me. In all my WT training is about 4 hours daily. That's outside of my regular gym schedule.

Lineage went along way in choosing the school I researched all the WC/WT schools in the area. All of them lead back to WT. And the highest ranked guy in the system locally was Sifu Parker. In fact he's one of the top ranked guys in the system in the US. With that, he still takes instruction and since I'm gonna do this for quite sum time, I don't have to worry about catching up to my teacher. The other guys with schools either take instruction from my Sifu or stopped an think they know all they need to know. I don't wanna learn from someone who thinks they know everything

And I'm not telling anyone there wrong about everything. I'm telling them there wrong about me.

The amount of time I get with Sifu Parker an even some of the Level 2s an 3s is well worth the 120. And if I wanted I could come for 5 hours a day or bascily whenever there's a class outside of WeN night which is reserved for the Techs I could. And if I wasn't married I would.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/17/2010 11:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @ a snakepliskin. Great name by the way.
    Call me Snake.
    When I first started in MA years ago. There wasn't bullshido or really any sites to look around on. So I saw a school. Went in an joined.
    This is the same as most of us. The guy with the black belt/sash obviously knew more then you so you went in, believed what he said and tried to learn.
    Now, with the internet, the ability to share experiences and review shared experiences allows for a much greater flow of readily available information.
    What you have now is many people sharing their experience on your chosen style. A few will be good but most will likely not be.

I've always liked kenpo, but I wanted to try some sort of Kung Fu.
    Are there any 5-Animal schools in your area?
    Too bad Jason DeLuciacan't clone himself.
    However, why out of all the available Kung Fu schools did you chose the one with the most limited skillset?
    I used the net to research as well as some boards and decided on Wt. Then before I even had chosen a school ,
    Which boards?

I watched both Ip man movies. And yes. I no it's only a movie. But it was the deciding factor.
    I own both Ip Man blurays and while I like them you need to realize and realize a hard truth:
    Donnie Yen =/= Ip Man.
    Donnie Yen has trained numerous fighting styles and understands the need to train in all ranges.
    I liked the movie The Best of the Best, but Eric Roberts didn't inspire me to go train TKD.
    It is a movie and you aren't Donnie Yen.
    Go watch Flashpoint and see another side of Donnie Yen

I based my pricing factor on what others were charging
    You need to base it on relative value.

I train 2 hours M- F in class an have a home training facility with bags and a dummy that I use at home. All the other schools but a 3 hour limit per week on me. In all my WT training is about 4 hours daily. That's outside of my regular gym schedule.
    Let me rephrase this:
    How much time per week do you spend actively training at the kwoon?

Lineage went along way in choosing the school I researched all the WC/WT schools in the area. All of them lead back to WT. And the highest ranked guy in the system locally was Sifu Parker. In fact he's one of the top ranked guys in the system in the US. With that, he still takes instruction and since I'm gonna do this for quite sum time, I don't have to worry about catching up to my teacher. The other guys with schools either take instruction from my Sifu or stopped an think they know all they need to know.
    Lineage is a relative value.
    What this means is:
    you actually aren't getting anything from this selling point, except lip service and that doesn't make you a more or complete fighter.

I don't wanna learn from someone who thinks they know everything
    Nor does anyone.
    What other styles does your Sifu train in and where does he train them?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast