Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2010 10:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jiu/ju/kettlebells/cma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Chainpunch and I just finished up a long argument on things that we will probably never see eye to eye on, and I just want to say this is one of the best written threads I've ever seen in newbietown. In all seriousness, I think it, or a slightly modified version of it, should be a sticky and required reading not just for wing chun people but anyone new to this forum, especially if they come from a traditional martial arts background.

Quote Originally Posted by chainpunch View Post
    Welcome.

First word of advice is lurk more. I read for 6 months before I signed up. Then I read for another 6(?) months before I introduced myself. Take the time to learn how things operate around here or you will just leave with hurt feelings.

If things seem unfair to you its because you dont understand how things work and being more observant is the key. I dont have any problem with the general population here and I will be teased from time to time but if the accusation is a generalization I dont take it personally. Truth is I hope there be less practitioners as most of the vocal ones are an embarrassment. There is a natural bias here but that’s what you get when you are part of a minority but trust me you will be judged for who you are more so than what your interest is.

If people talk trash about Wing Chun its probably because there is some truth what is said, filter out the untruths (thick skin). If you think Wing Chun is represented well but unfairly criticized well then you just dont really know yet what good representation is. You are new to your style so I suggest you get good and represent or dont bother defending. Most Wing Chun people are teased because they really think their above reproach and can’t take criticism well neither serious nor in jest.

Welcome.

First word of advice is lurk more. I read for 6 months before I signed up. Then I read for another 6(?) months before I introduced myself. Take the time to learn how things operate around here or you will just leave with hurt feelings.

If things seem unfair to you its because you dont understand how things work and being more observant is the key. I dont have any problem with the general population here and I will be teased from time to time but if the accusation is a generalization I dont take it personally. Truth is I hope there be less practitioners as most of the vocal ones are an embarrassment. There is a natural bias here but that’s what you get when you are part of a minority but trust me you will be judged for who you are more so than what your interest is.

If people talk trash about Wing Chun its probably because there is some truth what is said, filter out the untruths (thick skin). If you think Wing Chun is represented well but unfairly criticized well then you just dont really know yet what good representation is. You are new to your style so I suggest you get good and represent or dont bother defending. Most Wing Chun people are teased because they really think their above reproach and can’t take criticism well neither serious nor in jest.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2010 10:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spell Dude

Ive lost all respect for you.. i was told you stole that big word use used earlier...Not cool... So not only are you a meany, but your a big word stealer as well...Thats a horrible combination :5censored

Administrator

Posted On:
    7/16/2010 10:17pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, you were told by that link I provided. Just like you stole the words you are now typing from your parents, school teachers and the dictionary.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2010 10:27pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    lol ok...ill accept your word stealing...ive been practicing, ready ? I found your earlier comments to be vexing, and was perturbed by some of your posts..However over time, i was able to appreciate what you had to say and forgive you for your shortcomings...

Dont thank me for the new words, just pay it forward

Posted On:
    7/16/2010 11:03pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP, seriously, in retrospect I'm sorry to have jumped on you, it's really not the proper setting. Just so you understand, I wasn't criticizing you for how you type, but for the content of what you said and its implications. I don't care how you type as long as it doesn't hurt my eyes.

Now, understand I'm saying this without intent to insult you, but the fact you think the school/material is good and especially that you feel that you're learning from the "best of the best" is meaningless because you haven't seen them spar for yourself using the material you're learning.

For all I know they could be God's gift to Kung Fu, but I think it's pretty foolish to sign up for lessons without seeing the finished product (I know there's no definitive end, but you get what I mean). I'm sure you wouldn't buy a house without seeing it first...

When I first started Judo I had my doubts about my own school because of the somewhat unstructured approach to learning. Newbies were just tossed into learning whatever everyone else was doing instead of starting from the basics and progressing in a linear manner, so I was lost as hell for the first month or two. What sold me on continuing was that every class I could watch the people who had been there awhile sparring and displaying good skills.

I would ask your instructor politely to observe the sparring class a couple of times at least. See if a) it actually looks like a fight b) the skills you practice in class are coming out in sparring.

In any case, there's no sense in trying to defend your style on the whole (even more so when you're a newbie in it) as style names are just general labels; it's how your club trains that really matters. Why don't you take us through a typical class from beginning to end? What do you specifically spend your time doing? What prior martial arts experience do you have in order to base your judgements on?
    Last edited by maofas; 7/16/2010 11:08pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/16/2010 11:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok. I have never seen sifu spar. I have heard stories about him from other students... I don't think his sparing would have anything do with his ability to teach thou...

It's one thing to pass on knowledge. It's another to apply it in a fight... I no guys who no everything there is to no about the human body, work out wise...they look like shyt but there's no doubting they no what the hell there talking about. With that being said, I've heard from other students that Sifu can handle his biz.

As for class, forms, bag work an the standard wt stuff. I have 4 years of another style so I'm not a virgin when it comes to what should an shouldn't be going on in class

I don't think there's really a such thing as the best of the best. There are a lot of great teachers out there in many different styles. I chose wt and am happy with that choice.

Posted On:
    7/16/2010 11:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Quanshuforum View Post
    Ok. I have never seen sifu spar. I have heard stories about him from other students... I don't think his sparing would have anything do with his ability to teach thou...

It's one thing to pass on knowledge. It's another to apply it in a fight... I no guys who no everything there is to no about the human body, work out wise...they look like shyt but there's no doubting they no what the hell there talking about. With that being said, I've heard from other students that Sifu can handle his biz.

As for class, forms, bag work an the standard wt stuff. I have 4 years of another style so I'm not a virgin when it comes to what should an shouldn't be going on in class

I don't think there's really a such thing as the best of the best. There are a lot of great teachers out there in many different styles. I chose wt and am happy with that choice.
    Hi there, I'd like to sell you a house. No that's alright, you don't need to see it, I'll just refer you to these other guys who have seen it (or maybe have met other people who have seen it), who will tell you how great it is.

4 years in another style? Could you possibly be more vague?

And your instructor's ability to fight absolutely has something to do with his ability to pass on knowledge of fighting. He doesn't need to be the greatest fighter in the world, but he does need to be a proficient fighter. How good could a math teacher be if they couldn't perform the computations they were teaching you how to do?

Wow, you really aren't a very curious-minded or questioning person are you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2010 12:02am

Style: Bicep Curls

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like my old wing tsun class. A typical wing tsun school, nothing new except you get more attention from sifu.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/17/2010 5:17am

Style: Boxing, Rowing Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is "Sifu" a boy's name or a girl's?

What style did you train in previously? Have you seen any sparring at all, if not your instructor's? If so, what does it look like?

Stu xD

Posted On:
    7/17/2010 6:21am

Style: 5x5, 5.56mm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hairy View Post
    Sounds like my old wing tsun class. A typical wing tsun school, nothing new except you get more attention from sifu.
    Same here. OP, ask your sifu if you can spar or when they spar. I'm not sure how wt is structured nowadays but when i trained it sparring was hard to come by. It's well worth doing.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast