Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 8:40am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Scam Emails

I thought I'd offer this up as a public service. This morning I received the following email:

Hello,

My name is Arvel Thurman. I want to book training services for a group of six who shall be on vacation to your country for 5weeks.We want an intensive training sessions with you. Their stay will last from the last week of August to September,2010.They are all beginners and six in number .What can you offer? Can I know your qualification and service rate ?

Do you have a training facility where you conduct classes? if not,we can arrange one for the classes
    I would love to know the possibility of working with you during this period.Kindly get back to me with your proposals so that we can make booking asap.

Best regards.
    Arvel Thurman
    BCSSA,Egerton Training Ground,
    Mereheath Lane,
    Knutsford,
    Cheshire, WA16 6SL
    A quick websearch shows that a similar form letter has been sent around all sorts of schools - dance, swimming, skating.

Just so you know, here's how the scam works. You quote a suitable price for 6 people, for 5 weeks of intensive training (which, of course, won't be a small amount). He gets back to you and says that's not a problem and sends you a cheque.

The cheque, however, is for far more than the amount you quoted. He apologizes for his mistake and asks you to deposit that anyway, and send him back the difference.

Unfortunately, it's a fake. The cheque bounces, the scammer has your money, and you are out of luck.

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 8:59am

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    cheeky bastards.
    Thanks for the tip

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 9:11am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Send him back the difference via Western Union/Moneygram, rite?

Protip: Never use these services and similar to wire money to strangers under any circumstances. They exist for the purpose of sending funds to people you know and trust. Nothing more. If someone even suggests that you use must these services in a 'business' context, drop them like a hot potato.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 9:17am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Friend of mine got taken with a similar scam except it was buying a car instead of a "business opportunity"

Banzai Buddy

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 9:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: Nothing - yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nickjutsu View Post
    Friend of mine got taken with a similar scam except it was buying a car instead of a "business opportunity"
    Someone I know sells electronic stuff on eBay. Usually gets a couple of people a month trying that on.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 9:32am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Larus marinus View Post
    Someone I know sells electronic stuff on eBay. Usually gets a couple of people a month trying that on.
    Thats where they got him. It went:-

5000 for your car

Cheque arrived, cleared in 3 days

Can you send me 2000 back to cover import costs?

Luckily he didn't get a chance to do it before the bank bounced it otherwise he'd be in a bit of debt right now.

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 9:44am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It interesting you guys are writing from England about these scams. The variation I see frequently is for tutoring.... "The boy is arriving in ______ and your fee is adequate. He will need some other money to get settled so I will send you a check for_______ and you can send me the difference."

While we are on the subject also be aware of buying a gift certificate from people who sell it on a public forum. Apparently what they are doing is taking down info on the cert, selling it to you, you buy some stuff they then use the rest of the certificate.... "oh I lost it but I have all the certificate information and you can see I purchased it."
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 9:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These scams are the reason why I refuse to give them 2 a month. That and they buy plastic trumpets and ruin my world cup experience lol.