Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 2:55am

Style: JUDO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No water for you!

When I first came to Australia i was in Sydney and wanted to get some bjj training in so looked up a place I was referred to. Apparently the guy who runs the gym was a big name in bjj in the Australasia region.

So I went to this place and everyone seemed pretty alright so I came back the next day to do a class that was supposed to be two hours long.

So I show up in my double weave reversible black and red go and the first thing I notice is everyone was going on about another student in red gi saying things about how ' they must think their so good' and cracking jokes about them like they were some cocky asshole for wearing red. So when I got changed I wore the black side.

Anyway class got started and we started off with some pretty intense warm ups and got started with some takedowns. About 45 minutes in I was getting a bit light headed and not dealing with the heat very well ( I'm from Minnesota) and we still hadn't taken a water break so when we were discussing one of the takedowns I asked if I could get my water bottle. The guy teaching said ' no water on the mats' fair enough I thought so I said ok and started to walk off the mats. Then he says 'no leaving the mats'

I was a little put off by this seeing how the class was still supposed to go for another hour. So I asked how I was supposed to get a drink and he says, " there's no drinking during class. Poulo ( the guy who owns the place) say the only way you leave the mats is on the way to the hospital or when he says so."

At this point I said ok and went back to the drill for 5 minutes and then made something up about meeting some friends to go site seeing.

Now I think this is a little messed up esppecially on a hot sunny Australian summer day. And I was so hot I couldn't think straight. You'd think they would at least warn the new guys.

Has anyone else run across anything similar? And does this seem a little unhealthy to anyone or is it just me?

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 3:11am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We have those policies too. No drinking on the mats and no drinking breaks unless we have the permission to do so. This is to prevent people from distracting the class, obviously. You can't do it while doing warm ups and technique portion. Even so they are not _that_ anal about it and we always have a quick break after warm ups are over and start the technique part.

When we are doing sparring if you feel like you can do no more you can always sit in the side or go for a quick drink.

But while doing warm ups and technique you can't do it.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 3:14am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its some bullshit hard man crap. It seems to be one of those things that can be prevalent in martial arts. In my view I pay these people to train me in martial arts, not to deprive me of water or try and get all macho on me. If I want to drink water I will, and they are beyond stupid to not allow me to.

I can understand not wanting people to be swigging away all the time if you find its affecting the class (though I personally think this is a bit bollocks as well) so if thats the case they definitely should have water breaks.

It really comes down to the fact that a lot of martial arts teachers see themselves as imparters of special knowledge and it is some privilege for us for them to be allowing us to learn from them. What they actually are are providers of a service to consumers. If they just got that in mind this type of crap would never fly.
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 3:32am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi mate, I hope you're doing well up in Sydney, it's still cold here in the ACT.

Anyway, I'm guessing you're training with Roots yeah?

Where abouts are you located (Sydney wise) ?

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 5:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Only during warm-ups I don't drink (but I have had a drink just before the class starts to compensate).

Then I go for a drink everytime I'm thursty, that's between rolls, drills and during techniques (yet I still watch the technique).

Trick is to put my sportbag at a strategic place, so I can reach it fast and without disturbing the class. Also because I drink a lot of small quantities from an easy-access-bottle it takes only 3-5 seconds to my bottle, drink and return.

I did this from the first day and in all my classes (Judo, BJJ, SSW, CSW, Boxing, Muay Thai and Savate), so with different instructors and styles and nobody complaint about it (and if they do, I wouldn't still stop it since I'm the paying customer and they the service provider), but I do it in such a way that it doesn't disturb the class or that I would use it as an excuse to not do the exercise.

In my case, if I dehydrate, I get muscle cramps in my legs and training is done for that day (also take magnesium supplements to prevent this) and I found out that constant drinking small amounts is better than drinking a few times big amounts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 5:25am

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I take it that the classes aren't that intense because if they denied me water and I was busting my ass for an hour and a half, I'm sure I'd pass out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 7:07am

Style: Seidokaikan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We're told to take a water break two or three times per class in my school, but other than that I can't even conceive of someone leaving line without permission or asking to do so. Nobody would ever even think to do it.

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 7:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had a capoeira instructor who was like that. Maby it is a Brazil thing.

I restrain from drinking during demos even though that is a natural break because I either miss things or hold up the class.

fist first Philosopher

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 7:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: Savate (LBF/SD/LC) - BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGalt View Post
    We're told to take a water break two or three times per class in my school, but other than that I can't even conceive of someone leaving line without permission or asking to do so. Nobody would ever even think to do it.
    Japan is a complete different mentallity than Belgium.
    Here's more a relaxed self-discipline attitude than being under a disciplined environment.
    I have to say that Judo is the most restricted, but you can drink between randori and between drills, so my sportbag is strategally placed besides the part of the tatami where I train, so that I have plenty of time between changing partners to drink without slowing down the classes for one second.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiujitsu77
    You know you are crazy about BJJ/Martial arts when...
    Quote Originally Posted by Humanzee
    ...your books on Kama Sutra and BJJ are interchangeable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jk55299 on Keysi Fighting Method
    It looks like this is a great fighting method if someone replaces your shampoo with superglue.
    The real deadly:

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 7:56am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao View Post
    I take it that the classes aren't that intense because if they denied me water and I was busting my ass for an hour and a half, I'm sure I'd pass out.
    Not sure who this is pointed to, but we do get drinking breaks. And sometimes it's a pain in the ass, true. But if you hydrate a bit before going into class it's not a biggie.

On Sunday we sparred over an hour. So yeah, not busting my ass at all.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast