Veteran1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 10:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kobukai Jui Jitsu Cromwell CT

I would like to see bullshido.net take some of their investigators, and do an independent review of this schools teachings, and methods.

I went there for 1.5 months all along thinking it was a BJJ school when it was actually JJJ with a few modifications. The school is even claiming to be one, but they have 2 blue belts teaching. For those of you who are experienced in BJJ please review this school under cover and you will see what im talking about.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 9:07am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) Since you have already attended multiple classes, why don't you write a review (this is the school review section) based on your experiences there, instead of saying: I went to this school and think someone else should come review/ investigate it.

2) From a brief look at the website, it seems pretty clear to me that it is a JJJ school, that has formed an affiliation with a BJJ school to add to their program. They offer classes in both BJJ and JJJ. The instructors have their ranks listed for both JJJ and BJJ. The is no question as to which style of JJ (BJJ, JJJ) they are claiming BB in. It seems that you have made some assumptions without doing your homework, unless there is more info that you have not provided (like the so and so claims to be a BB in BJJ, but really is a BB in JJJ).

edit: After reading your thread here:
    Etiquette in BJJ schools? - No BS MMA and Martial Arts
    I think maybe you might have some sort of vendetta against this school and that might be your reason for wanting an "investigation".
    Last edited by moons; 7/15/2010 9:56am at .

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 10:09am

Style: Kobukai Ju-Jitsu / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello All,

My name is Matt Bryers, I am the head instructor of Kobukai Ju-Jitsu / Best Way Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Cromwell.

There has been a lot of "discussion" going back and forth between Joe, myself, other instructor(s), the head of Kobukai Ju-Jitsu and now the head of American Top Team CT / Best Way Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

You can view the thread here at Jiu-Jitsu Forums:
    http://www.jiujitsuforums.com/viewto...er=asc&start=0

I whole-heartedly wish it never had to come to such a "heated" situation, but unfortunately it has.

To start off - I am not here to get into a keyboard battle with Joe or anyone else. Joe and our school have decided to part ways, but I just want to provide some information about our school, myself and the training we offer. I've said it many times to Joe, I wish him luck in his future training and hope he does find a school that fits him well. Obviously we were not that school.

But - in response to this thread I would like to provide a little bit of information on my school, myself and style(s) we offer.

First, I am a 2nd Degree Black Belt in Kobukai Ju-Jitsu. KJJ is an eclectic modern form of Japanese Ju-Jitsu. It is self-defense based, but many of us have competed successfully in grappling tournaments, jiu-jitsu tournaments and MMA. In a typical class we spend about 40% of the time working on takedowns and 40% working on ground work, and the remaining time rolling. We have a lot of new students, so a good portion of the training is focused on refining the basic techniques. If someone were to view KJJ it would like like a combination of Judo and BJJ.

We also offer Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu classes through Best Way Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Just to give you a little bit of information how this came about...

About 3 years ago, after I received my black belt in KJJ (6 years to achieve) I recognized one of my weaknesses in Jiu-jitsu: my bottom guard game. I am an ex-wrestler and love throws / takedowns. A good portion of my game revolved around my takedown ability and my top game. But as any good martial artist does, I wanted to continue to progress. I sought out Luigi Mondelli of Best Way Jiu-Jitsu / American Top Team CT to help me improve. Luigi is a 3rd Degree Black belt and a multiple time Pan Am Champion and Worlds competitor.

I have trained and continue to train extensively with Luigi and eventually was promoted to purple belt in BJJ last year. Along the way, Luigi offered me an amazing opportunity. He was having one of his old training partners move from Brazil to come teach and train in CT. His name is Rafael Formiga Barbosa. You can read more about him here along with some videos of him training:
    http://www.jiujitsuct.com/benefits-o...a-barbosa.html

Formiga is fucking awesome, he is "NO BS" one of the best BJJ fighters in the world at his weight class. And he teaches at my school 2 days a week. It is an amazing opportunity for us to have in at our school and I have no doubt in my mind that he will increase the ability of every student and myself through his training.

Lastly, I welcome ANY of you to come down and train with us. Not because I want your "evaluation", but because we love to train with a variety of different people. Anyone is welcome and if you live in CT, I really do hope you can stop by. Our schedule as well as more information about myself, Luigi, Formiga, KJJ, Best Way, etc are all listed on the website: www.jiujitsuct.com. If you have any questions, you can also contact me directly through the website.

Thank you all and have a great day!

Matt

Fear and bullets.

Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger Second ClassRecommendation First Class25000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 1:26pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice response, Matt. And appreciated. I don't think there is any risk of you having any problems with us. It looks like your site and your school are pretty awesome, and i don;t see any questionable claims up there.

Gargano is just cranky at you for shattering his illusions.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Registered Member

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 1:37pm

Style: Kobukai Ju-Jitsu / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No problem Scrapper, glad to hear Bullshido "got my back" :)
    Have a good one!

Achievements:
    3 months registered1000 Experience PointsTagger First Class

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 4:11pm

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    OP's original beef with his former school

Etiquette in BJJ schools? - No BS MMA and Martial Arts

Incidentally wouldn't it be awesome if bullshido really worked like that? With a trained team of paid investigators to go out and rate schools? Sort of like a Phantom Gourmet of martial arts(Those of you in the New England area will probably be the only ones who get that reference.

Yours truly

Achievements:
    Three FriendsYour first GroupRecommendation Second Class1 year registered5000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 6:25pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, I think the lack of paid incentives makes this site pure and the investigations are done in a way where it keeps bullshido, its members making up free enthusiasts from the public from diverse backgrounds, satisfied. As soon as we get paid it will be different.

Featherweight

Achievements:

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 6:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm to biased to form an impartial review.. I'm sure someone on this site in that area should handle this.

Registered Member

Achievements:
    1 year registeredTagger Second Class1000 Experience Points

Posted On:
    7/16/2010 4:15pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't have a problem with any style that does live rolling under limited ruleset. I used to train at a fantastic JJJ school that didn't have any formal BJJ training but did quite well at local grappling tournabments. I hope people aren't getting the impression that BJJ is the only approved grappling art on this forum. Because we all know that's judo ;).

It would be nice to have a real review of the place, since OP has lost all credibility.