Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 8:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Be careful out there

I've just learned that an old colleague of mine is recovering from the effects of a stroke as a result of a freak injury in MMA training.

I don't know all the details as I was told about this by a mutual friend, but basically "Tom", who is in his late 40s and who is a fitness freak and lifelong martial artist/fencer, received a punch to the side of the neck and/or an RNC during a class in February. He immediately knew that something was wrong and went to the hospital, where they did a battery of tests but couldn't find anything specific. The next evening he was watching TV with his girlfriend when he slumped over and slid off the couch onto the floor.

Turned out that there had been a blood-clot building up in his carotid and it came loose, paralyzing the entire left side of his body. His girlfriend was later told by the doctors that they thought that, with enough physical therapy, he might one day be able to walk to the end of the block. She told the doctor that he didn't understand - the ability to move athletically is much of Tom's career.

Long story shorter, he has been undergoing 5 hours of physical therapy every day since the accident and has almost recovered his movement and balance. I haven't seen him yet but was told that the disability probably would not be noticed by anyone who had not seen Tom move before the stroke. He hopes to make enough of a recovery to go back to teaching by the beginning of next year.

A sobering reminder that no matter how athletic and confident we may be, freak accidents can happen.

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 8:37pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR View Post
    I've just learned that an old colleague of mine is recovering from the effects of a stroke as a result of a freak injury in MMA training.

I don't know all the details as I was told about this by a mutual friend, but basically "Tom", who is in his late 40s and who is a fitness freak and lifelong martial artist/fencer, received a punch to the side of the neck and/or an RNC during a class in February. He immediately knew that something was wrong and went to the hospital, where they did a battery of tests but couldn't find anything specific. The next evening he was watching TV with his girlfriend when he slumped over and slid off the couch onto the floor.

Turned out that there had been a blood-clot building up in his carotid and it came loose, paralyzing the entire left side of his body. His girlfriend was later told by the doctors that they thought that, with enough physical therapy, he might one day be able to walk to the end of the block. She told the doctor that he didn't understand - the ability to move athletically is much of Tom's career.

Long story shorter, he has been undergoing 5 hours of physical therapy every day since the accident and has almost recovered his movement and balance. I haven't seen him yet but was told that the disability probably would not be noticed by anyone who had not seen Tom move before the stroke. He hopes to make enough of a recovery to go back to teaching by the beginning of next year.

A sobering reminder that no matter how athletic and confident we may be, freak accidents can happen.
    **** that sobering my ass!!! Go buy a drink for your friend on me.... Good for him! I had a car accident that destroyed my right leg and was told I would never do martial arts again, I think people like your friend have teh right attitude and should be an insperation.
    This thread never was a high quality conversation - My friend vern Gilbert on the William Acquier thread.

The fight in question having started over who owns which piece of rubble. Nicko1;2233174 On the Acquier Kim Fiasco slash thread.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 9:25pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks very much for sharing. Tell the girlfriend to read "My Stroke of Insight" as there are many non conventional methods in the book for stroke recovery. Life is so precious and this is a sobering reminder.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/14/2010 11:18pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks DdlR for sharing.

Wishing your friend as full a recovery as possible, ASAP. Good for him on his rehabilitation efforts.

I've known a couple of people over the years that shouldn't have been as well as they are now. Call it luck, dedication to rehab, or the brain just finding a way to compensate. You'd never know now how they were back then.