Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 2:13am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 100kg, and have/had fallen arches. I was advised by a very knowledgeable man to stop running completely. I now row. Running is fine, but for me it was tearing up my calves because of these issues. Doing another form of cardio had less impact on me and allowed me to go longer when doing it. You don't need to run, cycling or rowing is better in my opinion.
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 7:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    That's pretty much what I'm doing.

I've been doing stretches for the front of the calves, and that has kept the shin splints away. (I can get them and compression injuries in my ankles some thing awful if I'm not careful)

Bu yeah, I just sprint at the pace I can, jog at the pace I can, and walk around when I can't do either anymore.

I'm just doing this to get trim, not to break any records. So as long as I can keep exercising, I'm happy.
    having got back into it after a period (I'm running 3 miles 2/3 times a week) you need to Warm Down to help clear the Lactic Acid and then Stretch more than you are. All Body but with an emphasis on Leg Stretches - the Calves etc is woefully inadequate. Part of you soreness is owing to your failure to clear the Lactic Acid AND your muscles are shortening after exercise hence your need to do additional Leg and Groin Stretches.

Your problems should then disappear.

Keep it up and Good Luck.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 8:55am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: JKD,Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Agreed with the stop sprinting statement earlier. You need to ease into it. The first time I started running "seriously" I gave myself shin splints and got all knotted up just like you are. It was from pushing too hard too soon. Jog lightly at a nice steady pace and work yourself up. You should be able to run everyday with no problems, our species has been doing it for thousands of years. Just take your time and stick with it. Also have you tried skipping rope? It's great for cardio, and I found it easier on my legs than running. It helped me out a ton to get back into shape and run easier.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 9:10am

Style: Uechi Ryu, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tensing your shoulders - yes I did this for a long time - even used to get headaches from running with my shoulders 'up'. Try to concentrate on dropping your shoulders, and dno't worry about being fast. Run embarassingly slow if you need to, but get out and build your base before you start doing sprints or hills or anything like that. Too easy to get hurt and screw everything else you're trying to do.

I've been trying to run 3-4 days a week too - just 5k on a normal day and 10 on a long day. But's it's taken me 3 months to get there. Slow and steady. Just the last few weeks started on hills.

You might consider this
    Amazon.com: Running Start to Finish (9781551050966): John Stanton:…
    I'm sure there are a lot of good books out there, but this one stresses time in for beginners - run/walk program to build up a base before getting funky.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 9:20am

Style: BJJ n stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My ostepath recommended me to do a combination of very slow squats on balance pads and one legged squats on a raised bench to build up the support structure around my knees (perfect form is extremely important). I had similar problems as yourself when I got back into running which were compounded by running on concrete. If you're starting back you should try running on grass or sand - anything to help reduce the impact.
    Proper running shoes are also a must. Some stores will have a machine that will record the pressure left by your feet at different parts of your stride. Based on the result you can find out which type of shoe suits you best. If you have feet that naturally point outwards you may need orthotic insert into your shoes (these are expensive) to take the pressure off a certain point on your knee, sacrum or hip. If proper running shoes and taking things a little easier don't help maybe you should talk to a physiotherapist or osteopath etc - you don't want to cause permanent damage to your joints.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 10:23am

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty View Post
    I'm 100kg, and have/had fallen arches. I was advised by a very knowledgeable man to stop running completely. I now row. Running is fine, but for me it was tearing up my calves because of these issues. Doing another form of cardio had less impact on me and allowed me to go longer when doing it. You don't need to run, cycling or rowing is better in my opinion.
    Cycling, rowing and swimming are all GREAT cardio, and very low impact.

But, if someone told you to stop running because of fallen arches, he wasn't that knowledgeable. There are thousands of people that run perfectly normally with fallen arches, and the correct inserts/shoes for their strike pattern.

John

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 11:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the advice guys!

Looks like I need more stretching, less sprinting, more jogging, and a little bit of patience.

Quitting is not an option!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 12:32pm

Style: ATA TKD, Hapkido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    Part of you soreness is owing to your failure to clear the Lactic Acid
    False.

John

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 12:40pm

Style: Lifting heavy stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get a really sore lower back when im running. After about half a mile my lower back just seems to stiffen up and its to painfull to run any more. I have no problem with it during judo or at work ( construction) only when i run.

I know that cycling or somthing like that would also be a good form of cardio but there's nowhere really safe to cycle near me where as i can go off road and run around the hills and forrests which i find enjoyable apart from the pain.

Any idea's about the back pain?

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 12:41pm

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aodhan View Post
    Cycling, rowing and swimming are all GREAT cardio, and very low impact.

But, if someone told you to stop running because of fallen arches, he wasn't that knowledgeable. There are thousands of people that run perfectly normally with fallen arches, and the correct inserts/shoes for their strike pattern.

John
    Well since he was a PT in the commandos, and you're some guy on the internet I'm mpre inclined to follow him. His point was not that I couldn't run with fallen arches but that rowing or cycling or swimming would be a better use of my time and in general better for me.
    "Chance favours only the prepared mind."

My Training Log
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast