Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/16/2010 1:02am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BTW, what was your ref doing while you were leaving your opponent screaming in pain?
    =======================
    There was never a ref, it was always in class. It was always an accident but it was hard sparring. The first time I twisted the instructors' back and hurt his muscles. The second time I took down my opponent and he caught his ankle under him. The third time I was at a party and my friend was drunk and didn't go down. He should have. The fourth time, just the other week, I was stacking this kid and he twisted out and popped his neck. The only guy who was really permanently injured was the guy at the party.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/16/2010 7:29am

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you please make the connection to the "killer instinct" we are talking about, before we make pre-judgments? At a decisive moment, did this instinct drive you to go that extra inch to injure those guys? I take it you weren't in that "hate mode" that everyone was talking about, except for the first time (vs your instructor?) since it went away quickly after that?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/16/2010 8:00am

Style: kung fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    years ago, at a corporate event, we had a bouncy house pugil stick setup American Gladiator style. I get into it with one of my co-workers and knock him off the pedestal and continue to hit him on the ground until someone yelled stop.

I apologized and explained that I had been training for a san shou match and I literally did not know to stop until someone yelled at me.

Now I just beat him at Words with Friends.

Posted On:
    7/16/2010 10:26am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    Could you please make the connection to the "killer instinct" we are talking about, before we make pre-judgments? At a decisive moment, did this instinct drive you to go that extra inch to injure those guys? I take it you weren't in that "hate mode" that everyone was talking about, except for the first time (vs your instructor?) since it went away quickly after that?
    I would just characterize it as overwhelming aggression. People used to make fun of me when I played basketball because when I would drive to the hoop, I would get this really mean look on my face. I get the same kind of look when sparring hard. Most of the time I try to relax and make it like a walk in the park. Expressionless. Zanshin. When I see an opportunity it kicks in.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/16/2010 2:05pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sounds like a self control problem and not one of proper "instinct." I don't see a problem with that kind of attitude in the ring (although, douche for sure). You know, supposed to turn that switch off if you aren't fighting for realz. Agression isn't the same as the "killer instinct" that is being discussed here, although too much agression is better than too little agression.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456