Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 12:39pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly, I think the danger of being "gentlemanly" is that if you haven't dehumanized or humanized(hated) your opponent properly, you might hold back in moments that are inappropriate. Its one thing to hold back when your opponent is seemingly unconcious, another to let an opportunity slip by because you subconsciously felt bad about whatever damage you landed. A guy's face in pain can do a lot to your nice guy mind.

Outside the ring, in a defense situation I see no need to go further than to incapacitate enough to GTFO. My rule would be to beat him to the ground until he can't get back up quickly. I woulnd't take the risk where I'd leave my back exposed or he deploys a weapon or sometihng like that. If you are pissed off and fighting in the streets in a non-self defense situation, well, that is your problem. At that point you might be truly stupid for having that "killer instinct" unless the situation escalates and now you are worried about your life, in which case you are slightly less stupid.

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 2:54pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the cage being down does not mean you aren't a threat.

On the street, being down gives you the opportunity escape. If you choose to ground and pound instead, prepare to face felony charges. And prepare yourself for a life as a convicted felon.

Like I said before, the weak cannot stay out of trouble.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 2:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you know what is funny? I didn't read your post properly and did not notice the word "not" in the first sentence and it completely changed the meaning of your post for me. Doh

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 2:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtOfDefense View Post
    On the ground you can, it's pretty brutal. By which I mean, awesome.

Everything I love is dark and brutal...

On, and back on topic:

What I like to do in the locker room before a fight is visualize getting beat back when I was a kid, getting jumped in high school, and all the people who've treated me like **** through life. Then I imagine my opponent did it all.

I swear if this ref doesn't pull me off my next opponent I will beat him into a coma.
    So the martial arts attract you because you have this fantasy of getting back at the bad people who hurt you? Yeah, I get that. Me too. That went away the first time I left someone screaming in agony on the mat. I guess I am one of those people with that killer instinct. I don't know that I admire that about myself.
    "We often joke -- and we really wish it were a joke -- that you will only encounter two basic problems with your 'self-defense' training.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 3:15pm

Style: Bayless Freestyle JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by crappler View Post
    So the martial arts attract you because you have this fantasy of getting back at the bad people who hurt you? Yeah, I get that. Me too. That went away the first time I left someone screaming in agony on the mat. I guess I am one of those people with that killer instinct. I don't know that I admire that about myself.

I really have to psyche myself up to get in that state though. I got into MA because I was angry, now it all seems to have gone away, and I have to really mind-**** myself to bring it back to the surface. Savvy?

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 4:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really advocate the de-humanize approach. It dehumanizes me too. Gets rid of my emotions so I don't get pissed at opponent or myself and make mistakes. I try to emulate a fighting robot. It rids me of fear and pre-notions of what the fight is going to be like.

First few times I told myself that I was going to destroy my opponent, I did okay. The last time I psyched myself that way I got my ass beat pretty badly. The whole "I will kill him!" thing doesn't work when your opponent is stronger and similarly skilled as you.

De-humanizing works best IMO.

BTW, what was your ref doing while you were leaving your opponent screaming in pain? Also, "killer instinct" is different from "psycho murderer"

I know some people get in that hate mode to phyche themselves up but i don't think its really the best way.

Real "killers" do it efficiently and in a calculated manner. Same with animals who are killa. Goddaamn, I sound like a 10 year old.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 4:03pm

Style: bum rush karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I have no killer instinct. When competing at grappling tournaments, my motivation is to dominate efficiently through sound tactics and technique. I feel good if I play smart and calm and take best advantage of the situations I get into. I like to stare guys down but there's little emotion in it.

You see guys like Rua fight and you see how a killer instinct is such a huge asset. I am always amazed at how he saw machida hurt and going down and you could see his "kill" reflexes go off and finished him as he fell.

On the other hand there are guys like GSP who personify the "nice guy" mentality. He was nice to Hardy but had the skills and gameplan to dominate.

That's what I love about the game, everybody does it different. But if you want to win at competitive MMA the proper tactic is to deal damage until the ref says you win.

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 6:03pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Learn to be more agressive and mean! >:), it can cost you the match if you hold back...let out your emotions. Be a ferocious tiger patiently stalking his prey!

I dont know something like that :)

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/15/2010 6:19pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsukyomi View Post
    Learn to be more agressive and mean! >:), it can cost you the match if you hold back...let out your emotions. Be a ferocious tiger patiently stalking his prey!

I dont know something like that :)
    Sometimes if you let out your emotions you fail to be patient.. its very important. But I like your second quote. Be a robot. All of that bushido **** and zen stuff applies.

Posted On:
    7/16/2010 12:54am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtOfDefense View Post
    I really have to psyche myself up to get in that state though. I got into MA because I was angry, now it all seems to have gone away, and I have to really mind-**** myself to bring it back to the surface. Savvy?
    I'm a mirror. If someone is sparring with me, I'm sparring. It someone wants to win, then I want to win.
    1) That it doesn't work
    2) That it does work"
    -Animal MacYoung
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast